PDA

View Full Version : Screaming Meow!

aliwin
31-05-2010, 02:33 PM
Jess is 13 years old and for the past 6 months has been doing this meow that is so loud it's ridiculous. It's not all the time just when she wants something i.e to be let in or out or if she is alone somewhere. She is perfectly normal otherwise, healthy and eating and drinking. Anyone any ideas why she is doing this? Is she going senile or deaf do you think?

Any thoughts would be welcome,

Thanks Ali

dandysmom
31-05-2010, 04:31 PM
That's puzzling. She's a little young for feline senility to be setting in; they usually do that loud plaintive wailing at night or when they're disoriented, and she seems to be doing it when she is fully oriented and wants something. It may be that she's getting deaf and doesn't realize how loud she is; I don't know the symptoms of deafness in cats .....

angieh
31-05-2010, 04:51 PM
Sorry Aliwin - I've no idea either, although deafness does sound like a reasonable explanation. Hope someone else will come up with a good idea. Have you tried to find out if she can hear OK?

aliwin
31-05-2010, 05:26 PM
Thanks for your replies. I'm not sure how to test for deaf cats :lol: however, she is snoozing in her basket not far from me and I am calling and trying to attract her attention and she is not responding. I'm not sure of her exact age the rescue she came from told me she was about 18months when we got her but I guess they could have been wrong. I think another once over at the vets won't hurt just to put my mind at rest. What age do you reckon they go senile then?

Phoenix
31-05-2010, 07:17 PM
Beauty was about 14 (we think) when she started to go senile. If that helps.

angieh
31-05-2010, 08:16 PM
It seems to vary - Merlin started night yowling at around 18, but it wasn't very loud and he soon settled. I think Smudge did it too to a lesser degree, but I did not know what it was in those days.

I think it's unfair to try and test Jess' hearing when she's dozing. It is so easy to test a cat's eyesight - but hearing - when she's awake, I would firstly try clicking your fingers on one side of her head but try to do it without her being able to see your hand. If she turns her head in that direction then presumably she's heard you. Try the other side.

For a better test, I'd take her to the vet.

dandysmom
31-05-2010, 08:32 PM
Patches was about 18 - 19 when she began exhibiting signs of dementia.

Try standing behind her and making a sudden loud noise like banging a pan with a spoon ,,, you should be able to see if she reacts. And of course we all know cats have selective hearing... they hear what they want to hear! :mrgreen:

aliwin
31-05-2010, 09:14 PM
It seems to vary - Merlin started night yowling at around 18, but it wasn't very loud and he soon settled. I think Smudge did it too to a lesser degree, but I did not know what it was in those days.

I think it's unfair to try and test Jess' hearing when she's dozing. It is so easy to test a cat's eyesight - but hearing - when she's awake, I would firstly try clicking your fingers on one side of her head but try to do it without her being able to see your hand. If she turns her head in that direction then presumably she's heard you. Try the other side.

For a better test, I'd take her to the vet.

:lol: :lol: :lol: She wasn't asleep just kind of looking around and settling down but no not the most scientific of tests. I have tried clicking my fingers since and still no response, I will take her for a check up as it's important I know so I can avoid traffic for her. We only live in a quiet cul-de-sac but at least I can warn the neighbours who are all very cat friendly.

aliwin
31-05-2010, 09:17 PM
Patches was about 18 - 19 when she began exhibiting signs of dementia.

Try standing behind her and making a sudden loud noise like banging a pan with a spoon ,,, you should be able to see if she reacts. And of course we all know cats have selective hearing... they hear what they want to hear! :mrgreen:

Don't they just :lol: :lol: Jason my 16year old is really senile and I think he is losing his sight :( Looks like I need to visit the vet this week with them both. I hate that they are getting older :cry:

dandysmom
31-05-2010, 09:41 PM
My Misty went blind when she was about 18; she was so clever at coping it was a while before I realized she was blind. As long as you're not big on rearranging the furniture, they cope beautifully. She was an indoor cat, as was Patches.

Do let us know what the vet says. It isa so sad that their lives are so short..... :(

angieh
31-05-2010, 10:09 PM
Good luck at the vet - it is very sad as they get older and less healthy, bit like people really just more accelerated.

aliwin
31-05-2010, 10:13 PM
My Misty went blind when she was about 18; she was so clever at coping it was a while before I realized she was blind. As long as you're not big on rearranging the furniture, they cope beautifully. She was an indoor cat, as was Patches.

Do let us know what the vet says. It isa so sad that their lives are so short..... :(

The only two things that alerted me to Jason losing his sight is that he now spins the water dish to make sure its in the right place and he used to walk round my head when he came for a cuddle in bed of a night but now he just stomps all over my head :lol: :lol:

Jason is my first cat and I really can't imagine life without him :cry:

My OH has just been calling Jess and no response at all! Think that is 2 of my babies destined for just sunbathing in the back garden :D

Kobster
01-06-2010, 09:18 AM
Hmmm, could be hearing loss. I've noticed since Kobie has had his middle ear problems his meow has become louder. On the other hand, very loud urgent meowing is sometimes a symptom of Hyperthyroidism and your cat is about the right age for that. A simple blood test could check her thyroid levels.

aliwin
01-06-2010, 10:29 AM
Thanks everyone, we are booked in for 4.20 this afternoon, I'll let you know how we get on.

Mags
01-06-2010, 12:21 PM
I hope all goes well with Jess at the vets.....

farthing
01-06-2010, 01:40 PM
As has been said thyroid problems could becausing the calling, it could also be down to high blood pressure which is usually secondary to thyroid problems or chronic kidney failure.

It may also be worth getting you older cat checked- high blood pressure can cause blindness as well.

aliwin
01-06-2010, 03:28 PM
As has been said thyroid problems could becausing the calling, it could also be down to high blood pressure which is usually secondary to thyroid problems or chronic kidney failure.

It may also be worth getting you older cat checked- high blood pressure can cause blindness as well.

Thank you, I will make Jason an appointment when I go tonight. I was going to take them both but decided I would concentrate on one at a time. So he will probably go tomorrow. He looks very old now and is quite thin these days. I did take him a few months back but they said he was fine. I will ask about thyroid problems if the vet doesn't mention it.

farthing
02-06-2010, 08:25 PM
Glad to read all went well, considering the ages, on the update threads. At least you know the what is wrong now, and can stop worrying.