PDA

View Full Version : Need help asap

babymamma
26-05-2010, 04:19 PM
my cat had kittens 4 days ago.its her second litter and this one was much bigger. her first litter was 3 kittens with 2 deaths and this one is 5 kittens with 1 death( stillborn). when she delivered the stillborn kitten and bit through the cord the placenta went back into her and she pushed it out 2 days later. weve noticed shes not eating or drinking as much, there is still blood and now there a yellowish discharge and shes not feeding her kittens as much. i have only ever seen the first ltter and now this litter so i have no idea if this in normal or if i need totake her into a vet and if o how muchwl that cost and what do i do with the kittens while shes at the vet?

alexgirl73
26-05-2010, 04:33 PM
Not even getting into the morals of letting your cat have 2 litters, GET HER TO A VET NOW!!!!!!! If she has retained placenta infection can set in (and sounds as if it has), and can be FATAL! Get mum and kittens in a box and take them straight to your vets.

babymamma
26-05-2010, 04:38 PM
Not even getting into the morals of letting your cat have 2 litters, GET HER TO A VET NOW!!!!!!! If she has retained placenta infection can set in (and sounds as if it has), and can be FATAL! Get mum and kittens in a box and take them straight to your vets.

do i need to pay upfront or will they bill me later? i have my son to care for and therefore have very little money till i get my paycheck friday.

alexgirl73
26-05-2010, 05:10 PM
that is really up to your vet, each one is different, but many do let you set up a payment plan, but tbh, the longer you wait the more risk she will die!

Moli
26-05-2010, 05:16 PM
I agree with Alex this little girl needs the vet now!!!!

angieh
26-05-2010, 05:30 PM
Absolutely. No idea how Canadian vets work, but I am sure they will do whatever is in your cat's best interests. Please get her to the vet ASAP.

mandyb
26-05-2010, 05:31 PM
I dont understand why you have let your cat have two litters of kittens. So many poor kittens out there already now you have added to the prob. I do hope your cat and her kittens make it but you need to get her to the vets now.

Elaine
26-05-2010, 05:58 PM
I agree wholeheartedly with Alex, get her and kittens to the vet asap!!!

Phoenix
26-05-2010, 08:32 PM
I agree with what's being said already, not getting into my hobby horse about rescue cats and kittens looking for homes.

As soon as she's well enough HAVE HER SPAYED! By keeping her entire you are running the risk of her getting mammary cancer or something and dying!

HappyKatz
26-05-2010, 08:51 PM
Yes, something definitely sounds wrong. :shock: Vets are usually good about taking payments as long as you can put a small payment down (at least in the US)

I researched your question & this came up. Maybe it will help.
POSTNATAL PERIOD
The cat will have discharge for a week or
ten days. This discharge should be red or
dark red in colour. If it is green or
greenish-yellow there is something wrong.
A placenta may have been retained despite
your vigilance and serious infection may
result. Such an infection may cause the
cat's milk to dry up and eventually lead
to her death, and that of her kittens.
DO NOT DELAY when you see a green
or greenish yellow discharge. Get the
cat to a vet IMMEDIATELY!

If you notice anything like that with your cat, a vet is a must.

So this doesn't happen again for your cats sake, please do get her spayed. Spaying is only a one time surgery & after that you will never have to worry about her having to deliver kittens ever again. So there will be less worry for her & you.

If you need anything else, please let us know :)

dandysmom
26-05-2010, 09:36 PM
Echo the above 100% ... to the vet AT ONCE, plaase. I'm sure you can work out something with the vet; your cat is is serious trouble and needs to be seen NOW.

Kim
27-05-2010, 04:54 PM
Sorry, but your post made me so bl**dy angry. :evil: Why, oh why let your cat have 2 litters!!! :mad: There are far too many unwanted cats out there, why put her at risk, give yourself a vets bill especially as your obviously can't afford it. She needs to get to the vet ASAP and then you must get her speyed. :shock:

babymamma
27-05-2010, 05:00 PM
I agree with what's being said already, not getting into my hobby horse about rescue cats and kittens looking for homes.

As soon as she's well enough HAVE HER SPAYED! By keeping her entire you are running the risk of her getting mammary cancer or something and dying!

she was supposed to be getting spayed but my roomate let her outside. i have hr apointment today at 1:30 ty all

babymamma
27-05-2010, 05:06 PM
just to let you all know i am keeping the kittens so they are not unwanted, i actualy have 7 cats in total now i dont treat them bad they are always fed, i give them baths and they love i,i play with them,they even sleep with me most of the time so stoplectuirngme on gettin g her fixed and hr having kittens, all i wanted to know was if thi was normal nd as soon as i talked to the vet i got my answer and even she said there is no reason for her not to have kittens she is an adult cat, and she is big enough for it so enough with the lectures on how i raise my cats!!!!

babymamma
27-05-2010, 05:07 PM
Sorry, but your post made me so bl**dy angry. :evil: Why, oh why let your cat have 2 litters!!! :mad: There are far too many unwanted cats out there, why put her at risk, give yourself a vets bill especially as your obviously can't afford it. She needs to get to the vet ASAP and then you must get her speyed. :shock:

andas for you telling me i must get her spayed thats wrong its my bloody choice i take care of my pets and my child damn good, they never go without,so if i let her have kittens its my choice not yours!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

candyshandy
27-05-2010, 05:15 PM
I think you need to have a long hard think and decide whether you could afford the expense of an out-of-hours vet if this or something like it were to happen again. You did indicate that money could be an issue in your earlier post.

IMO you should only really go down the avenue of breeding if there is a genuine need for cats in your area and you can afford fairly high vet fees at the drop of a hat.

If I were in your position I think I would have her spayed and enjoy her and your other cats.

Elaine
27-05-2010, 06:01 PM

Me too Kim but you are always made out to be the baddy when you express yourself about irresponsible breeding.

just to let you all know i am keeping the kittens so they are not unwanted, i actualy have 7 cats in total now i dont treat them bad they are always fed, i give them baths and they love i,i play with them,they even sleep with me most of the time so stoplectuirngme on gettin g her fixed and hr having kittens, all i wanted to know was if thi was normal nd as soon as i talked to the vet i got my answer and even she said there is no reason for her not to have kittens she is an adult cat, and she is big enough for it so enough with the lectures on how i raise my cats!!!!

Sorry but I think your vet is as irresponsible as you if that's his/her view.

andas for you telling me i must get her spayed thats wrong its my bloody choice i take care of my pets and my child damn good, they never go without,so if i let her have kittens its my choice not yours!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe but she doesnt have much of a choice when it comes to mating, she has no expectations of parenthood. You are also putting her, your other cats and her kittens at risk of FIV and Felv, so in my book that makes you irresponsible.

I think you need to have a long hard think and decide whether you could afford the expense of an out-of-hours vet if this or something like it were to happen again. You did indicate that money could be an issue in your earlier post.

IMO you should only really go down the avenue of breeding if there is a genuine need for cats in your area and you can afford fairly high vet fees at the drop of a hat.

If I were in your position I think I would have her spayed and enjoy her and your other cats.

Nicely put CS.

babymamma
27-05-2010, 06:41 PM
yopu know what you can all go t hell if this is the wayyouteat ppl asking for help id hate to meat u in the real world

Elaine
27-05-2010, 07:12 PM
you asked for advice and it was given, whether or not you like the advice is another issue but pretty much we all said that she should go to the vet asap.

I always find it irritating that irresponsible breeders such as yourself get all aggressive when no one is coo'ing and ahh'ing over your poor cat and kittens.
I dont know why people cannt just put their hands up to your irresponsibility and admit that they haven't had their animals best interests at heart.

But yeah, you're probably right and we are all horrible, nasty people for getting upset and emotional at reading about yet another poor queen and her never ending babies.

trick
27-05-2010, 07:18 PM
What do you plan to do when they start to inbreed and sisters and brothers have kittens? which can lead to health problems like bone deformaties and blindness. Is this the sort of thing a cat love does? Are there any charities that can help you with the cost of neutering as they can become pregnant at 4 months old and the males will start fighting with each other which will cost lots to have cat bites treated at the vets, not to mention the males will spray all over your home and it will smell and can cause diseases, great for you and you child and roomy.

Phoenix
27-05-2010, 07:30 PM
she was supposed to be getting spayed but my roomate let her outside. i have hr apointment today at 1:30 ty all

So my understanding is you will be getting her spayed and all her kittens done when they are old enough?

I only said about getting her spayed because I know full well the heartache that comes when you lose a much loved pet to cancer. I've been through it, so I know what it's like to lose a pet to cancer!

Phoenix
27-05-2010, 07:42 PM

Like I said, you don't want to lose her to cancer or something like that!

Do you know who the father of the litters are? If not then you are putting mother cat's health at risk by letting her breed with a male cat who could have FIV or FELV.

I'm sure you don't want to watch her die of something nasty. (without trying to sound patronising or anything)

Mags
27-05-2010, 08:05 PM
I fully appreciate how strongly you all feel about unplanned litters and having your cat spayed but please remember that babymamma came to Catsey primarily seeking help for her cat.

We have to remember too that other countries may not have the same attitudes/perceptions towards pets as we do here. I agree that it would be great if all countries adopted neutering and spaying as normal but all we can do is offer advice about neutering in a friendly manner and hope they will listen and learn.

Elaine
27-05-2010, 08:41 PM
When she should have been seeking help from a vet not wasting time on a cat forum with something as potentially life threatening.
Canada and the USA do have the same attitudes to spay and neuter as the Uk and offer many low cost clinics to help people.

yola
27-05-2010, 09:56 PM
It's really important for you cat's health not to breed idescriminately. I appreciate the cat was let out in error, but an early spay would have avoided this.

The best you can do is to ensure your cat and the kittens have proper vet care - whatever the cost. They are your pets so therefore your responsibility. I currently have 2 older poorly cats and they are costing me a lot of money - at the moment I can still afford to treat them, but it has really made me think about 'what if I couldn't'? Would it be fair on them, however much I loved them to risk their health by not being able to afford to have vet care for them?

I hope your cats/kittens recover and get strong. But please do consider the spay/neuter route as soon as you can, it will make the cats healthier and happier overall.

Good luck.

Kay
28-05-2010, 12:22 AM
I hope mum is well now and that the kittens are thriving.

I have to back up what everyone else has said about letting her have kittens when both her litters could easily prevented. You so obviously have not researched breeding or the possible dangers to your queen, if you had you would not have wasted time on here asking for help but would have taken her straight to the vets.

Your irresponsible breeding gives all cat breeders a bad name and as I responsible breeder of Persians and Orientals this is extremely annoying. You appear to be happy to let your girl have cute little kittens but when there is the possibility of having to pay out anything that isn't expected, eg vet bills, then you start to moan. Your girl is your responsibility, she did not ask to be mated and put in a potential fatal position due to your lack of knowledge. Cats can and do die from giving birth. Retained placentas can cause extremely serious infections of the womb, pyometra is a serious infection associated with queens calling but not mating that often leads to death, difficult births at the least can lead to a c-section (costing anything between £250 - £750) and at the worst loss of all kittens and the queen. If you have to query whether you would have to pay a vet bill at the time of the appointment then you should not be breeding any animal. It is your responsibility to be able to provide adequate veterinary attention as soon as it is needed.

One of my girls delivered a kitten 3 days ago. Unfortunately the sac burst before the kitten presented, the kitten was breach and took 25 minutes to deliver with a lot of assistance from me and died during the lengthy delivery. Two days later she was acting as if there was another kitten in there (not unknown especially in Persians) but nothing was happening. Did I come on her to post for advice and sit and wait for the replies? Did I query whether I would have to pay a vet bill now or later? No I took her straight to the vets where she was scanned and operated on. The scan showed no other live kittens but a mass. A c-section was performed as well as a spay. There was no kitten in there but a lot of fluid and blood. If this has been delayed I could have lost Shannon. I paid the bill, £310, and I am pleased to say that Shannon is making a full recovery. This is my responsibility and I hold my hands up to it. Shannon will now live her life in retirement with my other neuters here with me.

You may think this is easy for me as I obviously have a fair amount of money. This is not the case I care for my two disabled sons but I still manage to pay vet bills as it is necessary as this is part and parcel of having pets.

Please get her, any of your other cats that are still entire and all the kittens neutered and enjoy them as well loved pets.

Netty
28-05-2010, 07:03 PM
I saw this original post in the do I need a vet website. They suggested she come here to ask, as the vet wasn't there at that time.

dandysmom
28-05-2010, 08:18 PM
Thanks for posting that, Nette, adds a little perspective to the situation.

Elaine
28-05-2010, 09:30 PM
What??? That sounds ridiculous. Who refered her to here rather than telling her to call her own vet?
Internet advice does not and should not ever replace consulting your vet.
Yes it is a useful tool to research and get info but a vet should always be consulted especially with such a serious matter.

Kay
28-05-2010, 11:11 PM
I saw this original post in the do I need a vet website. They suggested she come here to ask, as the vet wasn't there at that time.

I actual think that makes things twice as bad. She has obviously spent at least double the time on the internet trying to save spending anything on the poor cat instead of rushing her to an actual visual vet.

It beggers belief :mad:

Kim
29-05-2010, 11:23 AM
Yola, Kay, Elaine & RCR, all excellent posts. I have nothing more to add except the poster indicated that she would struggle with vet bills, therefore what are we all supposed to think. It is your choice of course to let your cat have 2 litters, but in my opinion, not a responsible choice for so many reasons.

Netty
29-05-2010, 04:11 PM
It was an automated response because the vet on that site doesn't/cant man in 24 hours a day

Netty
29-05-2010, 04:18 PM
Just been back on to that site and the vet did reply to her on 26th may, saying she should take it to vet first thing in the morning.

Phoenix
29-05-2010, 08:26 PM
Any more news babymamma? How's the mother and kittens?

Kay
29-05-2010, 09:18 PM
Just been back on to that site and the vet did reply to her on 26th may, saying she should take it to vet first thing in the morning.

What time did the vet answer her on the other site, Netty?

Netty
29-05-2010, 09:33 PM
It doesnt give a time, only the date.

Kay
29-05-2010, 09:38 PM
It doesnt give a time, only the date.

Never mind. I just wondered whether it was before she posted on here or not.

Netty
29-05-2010, 10:00 PM
No it wasnt. There was no reply after Id read it on here the first time.

PoshPuss
30-05-2010, 09:19 AM
I hope babymamma's cat and kittens are well now. Also that she has been responsible enough to plan the spay straight away and get her kittens neutered too. Unfortunately, I feel this poster is not going to take advise re. birth control as the reason for keeping cats for her seems to be the whole kittening process. I feel this poster gets emotional satisfaction from participating in the cat's pregnancy/birth cycle.
Not an unusual syndrome, it often fulfils a need that can't be satisfied in reality, ie, having more human babies. As it seems 'babymamma' is financially constrained, but maternally frustrated.

All said, I hope the health of the cats is attended too ASAP.