PDA

View Full Version : Two female cats not getting on

Soul-Cat
25-05-2010, 04:14 PM
As i said in my intro we took on Soul from a friend who rescued her mum KiKi while she was pregnant. (Soul was 7months, 5days ago).
we had Soul about 4 weeks before we decided to take her mum KiKi on to from the friend that rescued her as she couldnt keep a permant cat with her dogs.
When KiKi came here, she came staight into call and her and Soul did not get on one bit, KiKi would bash Soul all over the house, and Soul knew to just leave her be.
Since having KiKi spayed, she has calmed down alot, and never bothers with Soul..Now Soul bashes her all around the house :roll: KiKi can not even move with out being chased, wacked. Seems Soul is getting her own back.
Its nothing to nasty, more just like Soul thinking its funny.

will she grow out of this? will they ever get on enough to walk past each other?

These are our first two cats, and boy have we had some problems with the dogs taking to them, but now all thats sorted the cats decide to constantly annoy each other :shock:

I guess im just asking is this normal, and is Soul likely to grow out of this behaviour? must add she has now been spayed...we just left it until she was 6months :)

Kay
28-05-2010, 12:38 AM
Soul should calm down now she has been spayed but it may take a little while. Kiki when she first came to your house was just making sure that Soul kknew her position in the pecking order. Once Kiki had been spayed she started to settle down and become less dominant as she no longer has a need to compete with any other cats.

Soul, then being still entire, decided that she was then the dominant cat and was exerting her authority over her mother. This behaviour should now start to diminish as they are now both spayed.

dandysmom
28-05-2010, 02:11 AM
Good advice from Kay. I rehomed an adult spayed female after my male died; she and my adult spayed female never got along. No fighting, but they were never friends, mostly ignored one another.

Donna
28-05-2010, 06:10 AM
I would say it will never calm down. I have two spayed girls who do the exact same thing and six years down the line they are still annoying each other and fighting... if they stay out of each others way its ok, but certain times (like dinner time) they end up fighting all the way to the food bowls....

Elaine
28-05-2010, 01:53 PM
I think only time will tell tbh, sometimes acceptance is all you can hope for. It's not uncommon to hear about cats who simply dont get along, like Donna's experiences. I do hope things settle down for your two in time. xxxx

Tink
28-05-2010, 06:46 PM
I agree with everyone else. I have two spayed females and sometimes they carry on and there is chasing and hissing but claws are not brought out and no damage seems to be done. My original girl seems to just want to remind the other she was here first. They don't ever harm each other and sometimes they will lay very close to one another while not touching so there is some acceptance/tolerance there. Recently one of mine went missing for a bit and the other seemed to be looking for her. So even though they carry on I do believe in some respect they enjoy having each other around, even if they won't always openly admit it :D

dandysmom
28-05-2010, 08:22 PM
Good point, Tink. Although when Misty went to the Bridge, Patches showed absolutely no signs of missing her .... although Dandy did.

Soul-Cat
31-05-2010, 12:58 AM
Thank you everyone for your advice/replies..Since posting this Soul hasnt once chased or lashed out at KiKi in passing! which i am shocked at because she was doing it hourly before!
Fingers crossed, she has grown up/seen sense in the last few days.

Thanks again for all your advice! :)