PDA

View Full Version : Cat has drooly and/or pussy mouth for no known reason.. please help!

sibeluver03
23-05-2010, 05:07 AM
Hello everyone,
I haven't logged on here in so long. Life has become so hectic. But now I am here in the hopes of getting some answers and advice.

Socks is a 4 year old spayed female. Tonight, she suddenly has a drooled covered chin and her bottom jaw twitches. She doesn't seem to be eating or drinking or pottying any more or less than usual, not that I have noticed anyway. When my husband and I held her to examine her poor mouth, we could see what looked like small cuts on her lips. I wasn't sure though, there was no blood and if it was a cut, it wasn't deep. It could have just been a different coloration of her lip. When we held her though, a small puddle of the drool collected on the table. I'm terrified that something is terribly wrong with her. The only explanation for the "cuts" on her lips would be from the new kitten, as she doesn't go outdoors, there is nothing else to have injured her. This is so sudden, she was fine all day today. As it is the weekend, I decided if she is not fine by tomorrow, we will take her to the vet. I thought I might get your wonderful opinions and get an idea of what is going on. I do hope all is well with her. Thank you so much!

PoshPuss
23-05-2010, 08:58 AM
Please take her to a vet ASAP!!! She may have eaten some thing caustic or poisonous. Many household chemicals will burn and she may have been curious and gotten into your cupboard where cleaning products are stored. Also flowers are very dangerous to cats when ingested.... SHE NEEDS URGENT MEDICAL ATTENTION !! :shock:

sibeluver03
23-05-2010, 02:35 PM
There is nothing for her to get into though as far as cleaning chemicals goes though. We have child locks on all our cupboards with cleaning supplies and I also have no plants inside. Not a single one. We will be going to the vet as soon as possible, no doubt about it. But I have to rule those options out as it's just not possible that she could have gotten anywhere near cleaning supplies or plants.... Thanks so much for your help!

pinklizzy
23-05-2010, 02:40 PM
She really needs to be seen by a vet, as well as the possibility that she has ingested a toxic substance, there is the risk that she may have an oral foreign body-this could cause excessive drooling. She may have caused the cuts herself by pawing at her mouth. It's also possible an infected tooth could be causing the problem.
Hope your vet is able to find the cause quickly.

dandysmom
23-05-2010, 04:18 PM
Do you have an emergency vet clinic open? I'd get her in ASAP.

Elaine
23-05-2010, 04:35 PM
I agree with PP and PL, she must be seen by a vet asap. Holding off till tomorrow may be way too late.

Elaine
25-05-2010, 08:00 AM
Any news on this poorly cat? Did you get her to a vet? Is she ok?