PDA

View Full Version : Wheezing problem

nicky018
20-05-2010, 12:52 AM
Hi,

I have a four year old black and white cat. He's an indoors cat and has never had any problems before now, he's never been ill. But over the last few days he has had two wheezing attacks of about twenty seconds each time, where he wheezes and tries to put his head close to the ground.

He went to the vets this morning for a check up and the vet said he was fine, that it was probably just a piece of food that went down the wrong way, but now it has just happened again. It doesn't seem to bother him and he eats and drinks normally afterwards :?

When i exercise him, he doesn't seem to be out of breath, so i'm not too sure it is asthma. He has had problems before with vomiting when he is attempting to make a fur ball. Now he seems to have stopped that and is wheezing instead, but the poor boy seems in a bit of pain when he's doing it.

Does anyone know what the problem could be? Could it just be the heat, or allergies? Is there anything i could do to help?

yola
20-05-2010, 09:18 AM
Hi Nicky - is it a kind of coughing wheeze? Does he stick his tongue out when he does this? I ask because one of my cats does this on a regular basis and has done so for the last 13 years!

When your cat goes out does he have access to fresh grass? Sometimes there is an irritation which they try to dislodge and grass can help turn this wheezing/coughing into a proper vomit which gets rid of whatever's causing the problem.

If he doesn't have outside grass access consider planting up a tray indoors for him to nibble.

dandysmom
20-05-2010, 04:22 PM
Sorry, I've had no experience with that; Yola's grass suggestion sounds worth a try. Or maybe another vet trip if it continues; something is causing it that may have been overlooked. Good luck!

nicky018
20-05-2010, 08:08 PM
Hi Nicky - is it a kind of coughing wheeze? Does he stick his tongue out when he does this? I ask because one of my cats does this on a regular basis and has done so for the last 13 years!

When your cat goes out does he have access to fresh grass? Sometimes there is an irritation which they try to dislodge and grass can help turn this wheezing/coughing into a proper vomit which gets rid of whatever's causing the problem.

If he doesn't have outside grass access consider planting up a tray indoors for him to nibble.

Yeah, that's it! Sometimes he walks around with his tongue sticking out for half a minute afterwards too. I brought a hairball remedy today, to see if that might be the problem, and it hasn't happened again so far *fingers crossed*

Thanks for the grass suggestion! He doesn't go outside much at the moment because he kept coming back hurt, poor thing. But the tray of grass sounds like a really good idea :), and i'm pretty sure they sell those at our local garden centre.

Thanks!

dandysmom
20-05-2010, 10:14 PM
Do let us know how he's doing; hope the hairball remedy will help, also the grass.

angieh
20-05-2010, 10:17 PM
Good luck with curing your cat's problem. Hope he's better soon.

yola
20-05-2010, 10:37 PM
Just to add, you can get special 'cat grass' at pet shops. It's not a coarse as garden grass and is specifically designed to help with digestive problems.

Good luck, please let us know how you get on.