PDA

View Full Version : Got a new cat but shes not too pleased with my two boys

lyndyloo
18-05-2010, 11:40 PM
We are in the process of adopting a new cat female Cat (Spyro). She is 4 years old and very friendly :). We already have two ferral boy cats (Ginger and Panga) who we believe to be about 6-8 months old, They have all been neutered/spayed.

While it appears Panga and Ginger want to be with us they wont let us touch them.

A friend is moving away and could no longer keep Spyro and we thought that since she is very friendly hopefully she could be a good role model for our boys. We picked her up last night and gave her a separate food and water bowl and put out a litter tray (which the boys have been using too!), but I am not sure if she has actually eaten, drank or used the litter tray since she arrived yesterday evening. I have showed her where it is and then she runs back to my son's room. I have since moved the food and water to another location away from Panga and Ginger's usual food location. Spyro isnt very happy with P&G and just hisses if they come near. They are very interested in her but havent come too close yet.

How long do you think I need to keep her indoors before letting her venture out without the risk of her trying to run 'home'?

Any other advice?

Many thanks.

Phoenix
19-05-2010, 02:38 PM
You need to keep a new cat in for at least 4 weeks.

With regards to her hissing, she's bound to be upset if she's only been with you a couple of days because it's new territory for her and she doesn't know what's going on.

Give her a few weeks to settle in and I'm sure she'll accept the other two kitties soon :D

(Our old cat Beauty took 3 months to settle in with us, but she could be a little timid)

lyndyloo
19-05-2010, 03:48 PM
Thanks very much. She seems much better today she is eating and using the litter tray, which is always a good start.

dandysmom
19-05-2010, 03:52 PM
I agree with what RCR said, it's all new and strange to her now; the hissing is quite normal. She should settle in a bit and establish her position in the family. Definitely keep her in as long as you can. Glad to hear she's eating and toileting now!

angieh
19-05-2010, 08:06 PM
Yes, I agree with what RCR has advised. Poor cat, she's on new ground and needs to feel safe. She's telling your boys to keep their distance. Glad to hear she's eating and toileting - Cats Protection advise 6 weeks to acclimatise a rehomed cat.

Moli
19-05-2010, 11:33 PM
She just needs time to adjust to her surroundings, and her new friends....