PDA

View Full Version : Lhasa apso help????

Elaine
17-05-2010, 07:17 PM
Currently looking after a lhasa apso, this afternoon I noticed that when he walked his hind left leg looked like the ankle was popping out of place.
Called the vet, apointment got cancelled due to an emergency, so booked in again for the morning.
He is eating just fine and will let me touch the leg, so am thinking there is no pain there. He is now reluctant to walk on it, normally he and Rayne play, rest and play some more.
Am hoping he hasn't done himself too much harm. Have called the owners and explained what's happening.

angieh
17-05-2010, 07:50 PM
Good luck with the vet tomorrow Elaine. Sorry, not a doggy person and wondered whether a Lhasa apso was that cute Tibetan dog that keeps the monks warm!

Joking aside, hope all is well or can be put right.

yola
17-05-2010, 11:08 PM
Hmmm - if he's not putting weight on it something must be bothering him. Good you've got a vet appt . . . fingers crossed it's just a little sprain.

farthing
17-05-2010, 11:21 PM
Apart from a straightforward sprain, it could be lux patella, where the kneecap dislocates- more common in small dogs and they kneecap can pop in and out. Bruno gets this occasionally ( he's a big dog so the vets were surprised), his leg sticks and then it pops back into place and he is a bit sore on it for a couple of days. The other more serious issue, could be a damaged cruciate, there are different levels of the from a strain to a rupture.
The vet will be able to advise best, and usually it is just a sprain the is the problem.
Hope all goes well.

Kazz
17-05-2010, 11:42 PM
Could be anything and nothing but best to get it checked...for all you know he was born with the condition and no one noticed or is only apparent at certain times like after excercise.......hope the vet finds an answer and he is okay.

Elaine
18-05-2010, 07:22 AM
Thanx for the replies. I am worried that it may be a lux patella or hip displacia as the more I have been watching him move, I now see that the leg sort of has a rotating movement.
I am worried that playing with my wee dog has brought this on and feel responsible.
Will have to wait and see what the vet says this morning I guess.

Elaine
18-05-2010, 01:18 PM
Louis has a sprained knee. Rest and anti inflamatories prescribed.

yola
18-05-2010, 02:00 PM
Good that there's nothing more serious wrong.

How do you rest a dog??

angieh
18-05-2010, 02:03 PM
That's a relief Elaine.

Tie it up in a little bag, with it's head poking out the top?

Elaine
18-05-2010, 05:22 PM
Gonna have to call the vet again, the tablets are not agreeing with him.

Yola I have him hog tied and placed in a dark cupboard:lol:

yola
18-05-2010, 07:00 PM
Well in that case I suspect it's not just the tablets that aren't agreeing with him Elaine ;)

Seriously - hope the fella's OK - medication allergy's horrible.

dandysmom
18-05-2010, 07:48 PM
Sorry Louis is still not well, hope the little guy improves soon; so worrying for you.

Moli
18-05-2010, 10:17 PM
Poor little man, hope you can get med's that agree with him Lainey....