PDA

View Full Version : Vitamins anyone take them?

Kazz
16-05-2010, 03:38 PM
Does anyone take a daily vitamin tablet/supplement and if so why and does it do any good?
I as you know had a full hysterectomy 3&1/2 weeks ago and due to having had breast cancer cannot take HRT but not any symptoms yet odd hot flush at night. Nothing else but started to take last week a sanatogen A-Z multi vitamin and wondered if anyone noticed any benefit......

Consultant told me I would have to take calcium to increase bone strength.....but don't see him till 6 week checkup....when we will talk but never taking vitamins before I wondered +'s and -'s please.

dandysmom
16-05-2010, 04:01 PM
Oh you have asked the right person, Kazz! I'm a great believer in them and if I do say so myself in excellent health.

Vitamin C
Vitamin D
Calcium
Glucosamine chrondritin (arthritis)
Hyluronic acid (arthritis)
Omega 3 fish oil
Psyillium (fiber)
Probiotics
Aspirin (prevent stroke, heart attack)

All I can say is I feel good, and the arthritis is under control, very rarely have a flareup. They do say to consult your doctor before taking things, though.

Kazz
16-05-2010, 04:02 PM
Wow...do you take those individualy Eileen or as a multi vitamin for the majority?

EmmaG
16-05-2010, 04:09 PM
Hi Kazz, I have started to take a general multi vitamin - definitely feel a lot better for it. (Just a Tesco or Sainsburys multi vitamin)

dandysmom
16-05-2010, 04:14 PM
Individually, Kazz. I also take a nutritional drink (Ensure, chocolate flavored and delicious) which has the MDR of the other elements, iron, thiamin, folate, magnesium, zinc, etc. in lieu of the multivitamin.

Kazz
16-05-2010, 04:25 PM
Individually, Kazz. I also take a nutritional drink (Ensure, chocolate flavored and delicious) which has the MDR of the other elements, iron, thiamin, folate, magnesium, zinc, etc. in lieu of the multivitamin.

Blinking heck good job you are retired......you couldn't do that and work ;)

But I am coming round to thinking not a bad idea hile I am a little immune recovery sort of stage.....:-D

Kazz
16-05-2010, 04:26 PM
Hi Kazz, I have started to take a general multi vitamin - definitely feel a lot better for it. (Just a Tesco or Sainsburys multi vitamin)
Yeah sanatogen were on specal offer buy one get one free so I did.

Glad you feel better for it Emma I suspect its a good idea with the stress and energy of the wedding to plan etc. and I figure it takes at least a month or so to kick in. I am going to continue can't do any harm. May look at something for healing the scar too...individually not sure what that would be though?

dandysmom
16-05-2010, 04:59 PM
Blinking heck good job you are retired......you couldn't do that and work ;)

But I am coming round to thinking not a bad idea hile I am a little immune recovery sort of stage.....:-D

But I did, except for the arthritis supplements, as I wasn't diagnosed with that until '97. Nor the Ensure, hadn't heard of it back then.

angieh
16-05-2010, 05:33 PM
Hi Kazz - I take Glucosamine and I reckon it's great. I type for a living and noticed my knuckles were swelling and getting a bit sore. That's gone now. I also use Glucosamine gel if I get any joint-related flare - like yesterday when I'd been working on the computer all afternoon and got "tooth ache" in my right shoulder. Better today.

I also take calcium. You need to take it with Vitamin D. If you want, I'll send you a link to where I get mine. I take steroids for my COPD and that can have an effect on bones losing calcium. Also, I don't drink much milk. That's not really something you can feel the effect of though. I was also told that drinking carbonated drinks in excess can leach calcium from the bones. I do have some tonic water with my gin, but I don't drink gallons of the stuff.

As for scar healing try Bio-Oil. It's meant to be amazing stuff. I've not used it for that myself, but do use it for age spots!

dandysmom
16-05-2010, 08:00 PM
Age spots? That caught my attention, Angie, as I have the blasted things....does it work?

pookyandjo
17-05-2010, 02:43 PM
As for scar healing...bio oil is good... for scarring as is the liquid vit e capsules... prick them with a pin and rub the contents into the scar...
the other thing that is good for scarring is laser...
having red hair and pale skin... i suffer from keloid scaring which means that the scar/suture line is raised/red and lumpy... a lot of physiotherapists here have lasers and a few sessions with the laser can work absolute wonders in making the scars almost disappear...
6 months after my double mastectomy i was still in a lot of pain from the keloid scarring and my physio had a new laser... and offered to treat me for free if he could sue me as a test case ... so to speak.... he did one suture line... 6 sessions... over a 6 week period and photographed it after each session...and at the end of the 6 sessions... the scar wasn't able to be felt... and then he did the other side for me... they continued to heal well... and no lumpiness returned and after 12 months you could hardly see them at all....

multi vitamins are good... i take them... (i use Swisse) and i take glucosamine with condroitin and also fish oil capsule... which aid the absorption of the glucosamine...

dandysmom
17-05-2010, 04:15 PM
I wasn't aware that the fish oil aided the glucosamine absorption, Jo, good to know!