PDA

View Full Version : Misty has a vet visit tomorrow.

farthing
13-05-2010, 11:08 PM
I'm taking Misty to the vets for a check up, possibly a thyroid test because she has been losing weight. Misty is 21 and in CRF but doing very well at the moment.
She wanders about the hall at feeding time, eats like a horse and then toddles off to her bed next to her personal radiator.:D

Still I'm fairly worried about anything going on, at her age and with the CRF we don't have many options when something goes wrong.

Moli
13-05-2010, 11:10 PM
Everything crossed for Misty tomorrow....Hope it all goes well...

Mags
13-05-2010, 11:13 PM
Hope all goes well with Misty tomorrow.....

Kay
13-05-2010, 11:14 PM
Fingers crossed for you and Misty. xx

dandysmom
14-05-2010, 01:59 AM
Crossed here too, farthing.....

angieh
14-05-2010, 09:27 AM
Good luck at the vet - fingers crossed here too.

farthing
14-05-2010, 11:26 AM
Just back from the vet and not good news. He thinks she is heading towards the end stage of renal failure, she has ulcers on her gums ( cause by urea ( I think) in the blood) and her kidneys are tiny. We are waiting for the bloods to be run and he will call me later. The good news is she is still very keen to eat and I haven't noiced her drinking or peeing too much. There is still a chance it could be her thyroid but that still gives us problems, because if we treat the thyroid it will affect her kidneys.:(

angieh
14-05-2010, 01:22 PM
So sorry farthing. Poor little Misty - these balancing acts are very hard and make for difficult decisions.

farthing
14-05-2010, 02:16 PM
Just got a message for the vet- and her bloods are not bad at all.:? - the phophate levels are still normal, the urea and creatinine are about double what they should be- but Chokki was 5 times above normal when we had to call it a day.

He has sent off for a thyroid check, but he did suggest it may just be age. Of course I'm now worrying she has a tumour of aomething, but she seems well in herself and she is 21!

dandysmom
14-05-2010, 04:14 PM
I wish it were better news, farthing .... :(

Kazz
14-05-2010, 04:59 PM
Just got a message for the vet- and her bloods are not bad at all.:? - the phophate levels are still normal, the urea and creatinine are about double what they should be- but Chokki was 5 times above normal when we had to call it a day.

He has sent off for a thyroid check, but he did suggest it may just be age. Of course I'm now worrying she has a tumour of aomething, but she seems well in herself and she is 21!

Those are the words you need to say when you have an elderly cat "well in herself"

You know your cat better than anyone and can judge I think as well as any test any little change,.......glad she is better in herself.

farthing
14-05-2010, 08:13 PM
I know you are right Kazz, and logiaclly she has had 3 more extra years- if we hadn't taken her at 18 she was going to be PTS. Still it doesn't make it any easier in the long run. When the vet called to say her kidneys weren't too back, I cried for 20 mins, and it was good news.:oops:

dandysmom
14-05-2010, 08:20 PM
Oh farthing, it's so hard when they start failing; why did God make them so loving and with such short life spans? :( (((hugs)))

Shelley123
14-05-2010, 08:53 PM
I hope Misty is ok and has more time with you farthing, she couldn't wish for anyone better to care for her.

Kazz
14-05-2010, 10:58 PM
Oh farthing, it's so hard when they start failing; why did God make them so loving and with such short life spans? :( (((hugs)))

So we have the chance to experience the joy of cats......and cats have the chance to experience the good homes.

RFM
17-05-2010, 05:47 AM
I know you are right Kazz, and logiaclly she has had 3 more extra years- if we hadn't taken her at 18 she was going to be PTS. Still it doesn't make it any easier in the long run. When the vet called to say her kidneys weren't too back, I cried for 20 mins, and it was good news.:oops:

We too took in an 18 year old cat last year when it's original family tired of taking care of him. Within 2 months of being in our home, we discovered he had a hyperthyroid and had him started on medication. He has done beautifully these past 9 months! Only about 2 weeks ago he started showing signs of something being wrong again and we had his thyroid levels checked and sure enough, they were out of whack again...his body adjusted to the meds and so we had to double them. We are now keenly watching his kidneys.

All that to say, thyroid is not a death sentence, even at an advanced age.

farthing
17-05-2010, 11:07 PM
Thanks for the replies.
We got Misty's results back today and her thyroid is fine.:?

I spoke to the vet about what we do next, but he is not keen to x-ray, because of her age and condition, and realistically I don't suppose I would put her through an op, even if we discovered a cancer. I know the vets would investigate if I asked them, but not sure how fair it is on Misty and like the vet says- it may just be old age and nothing else. I am feeding her an extra meal at lunchtime, along with Fluffy, Pudding, Jimmy and Spice. I really need seperate little room as feeding blocks!:lol: