PDA

View Full Version : Update on Tom

Shelley123
07-05-2010, 08:36 PM
As some of you will know we had to take Tom to the vets yesterday for a few problems.
I am pleased to say that everything seems reasonably ok.
He needed more Feliway tablets for his hyperthyroidism and ws due a bloodtest on the 21st. The vet however said we needed to take him in sooner rather than later. Once i'd made the call however he seemed to deteriorate, having been well and responding to treatment previously.
Several mornings he was sick and we had noticed his coat becoming tatty again. He has been overgrooming for months and very sensitive on his back.
Then he went off his food.
We took him for his bloodtest and mentioned the other problems.
He was given an antihistamine injection and another flea treatment. The vet thinks because he has been overgrooming he has a hairball, so we have treated that.
I'm pleased to say that he's started eating again and seems less itchy.
His thyroid level is within normal limits now so fingers crossed.
£116 later oh plus £4.00 for a cooked chicken all seems well ;)

angieh
07-05-2010, 08:40 PM
I'm glad Tom is treatable Shelley, even though it's costly! Hope he settles for a while and you can have some quality time with him. How old is he now? I seem to remember he's not an "old" soldier. Gentle cuddles from me.

EmmaG
07-05-2010, 08:40 PM
Glad to hear that all is ok Shelley.

Shelley123
07-05-2010, 08:45 PM
Thank you angie and Emma, Tom is 14, i'm so relieved he's eating again, i can't think straight when any of them are ill.

farthing
07-05-2010, 08:51 PM
Gald to hear all is well, that's the problem with hyperthyroidism, it always complicates results.
If you feel he was drifting towards being hyper again, be aware that infections can show the thyroid levels as being lower than is really is- so once he is better and if you still feel he isn't right it may be worth getting another test.

Moli
07-05-2010, 09:38 PM
Good to know he is recovering...

dandysmom
07-05-2010, 10:26 PM
Happy to hear the news, Shelley! Give toe old boy a chin tickle from me.

Kazz
08-05-2010, 01:07 PM
Good news, its scarier as they get older each ailment is more than a ailment....its a heart lurching jump into "what you know will happen but not just now world"

Glad its good news.....

Shelley123
08-05-2010, 08:04 PM
Thanks everyone he seems to be doing fine now :)