PDA

View Full Version : A dilemma?

farthing
03-05-2010, 02:35 PM
We have had a big tabby cat hanging around for the last few months, he meows to us when we see him and has started to come over for a pet. I think he is entire and he is covered in ticks, he's not thin but seems lonely.
I am planning to get a collar and put a message on it asking the owners to call us, I'll put a notice in the vets, check for a microchip and call a couple of neighbours who have cats ( although I'm sure theirs are all neutered)
What else can I do, to be honest I don't want an entire animal hanging around because he may well catch/ be carrying FIV/Felv and if he isn't mine I can't do much for him.
How much do I have to do before I contact the CPL, I'm quite happy for him to stay here, but want him neutered and if he has an owner I don't want to start feeding him because it isn't fair, on the other hand if he has been dumped/ is a stray I don't mind feeding him in return for any mice/rats he adds to his diet.
Any advice.

yola
03-05-2010, 09:51 PM
Sounds like when my old Ferdy adopted us. He was entire, not skinny but rather dishevelled. I did the collar/note thing but had to take the collar off as he reacted to it.

In the end an injury to his head resulted in my capturing him and taking him to the vet. At that point, as it was my money was paying for him and I was fairly convinced he was a stray (vet pretty much confirmed that after an examination), I decided to have him neutered, and he and his FIV came to live with us.

So, I'd try the note . . . if nothing transpires maybe you can see where he goes when he leaves yours. And again, if that's no good maybe get him to the vet, check for a chip and get him looked over. I know you're very clued up on spotting a cat in need but the vet should be able to tell for sure by teeth/claws etc whether he's been living rough.

Kazz
04-05-2010, 09:27 AM
Now bear with me during the reading of my reply because all brain cells not quite fuctioning but here goes.....I would ring the local CP tell them you believe he is a stray condition etc, tell them you would be happy to keep him but would like him neutured etc first due to health his and your cats.

Sure they would be happy to help.

Looks like he has fallen on his feet. All the best with him, of course he may have strayed a little far and have a home somewhere but the vet/CP will be able to check for a microchip...

farthing
04-05-2010, 07:37 PM
Thanks for the replies.

He is entire and is not microchipped, so sad because who knows how far he has wandered.

I will try and get a quick release collar tomorrow and and see if that gives me any joy, as well as put a notice up in the vets and ask the neighbours, but I'm fairly sure he isn't local.

Mike has named him Tomsk, and see him quite a lot in the evening, although he was outside the house looking for food this morning, I have to confess I fed him. I would rather do that for a couple of days than irsk having him going hungry.:oops:

farthing
24-05-2010, 12:50 PM
Quick update on Mr Tomsk, as he is now called.
We still haven't found anybody to claim him ( didn't get a collar on him) but he seems to be living in our stables.
I spoke to a neighbour with a lot of cats and he doesn't know who he belongs to either- but thinks I should just get him neutered anyway.
I have frontlined him as he is covered in ticks, I don't quite know how to go from here, even if I decide to neuter him, I have to take him inside and Helga is in the only spare room I have, and will be there for the next couple of weeks.

Anyway, here is a piccy of the handsome boy.
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk67/halfpenny_bucket/cats/030-1.jpg

Pleas note the wine bottles are from Christmas ( mainly), Mike always forgets to take them to the skip.

angieh
24-05-2010, 12:55 PM
What a handsome boy! He definitely deserves somewhere good to live and some attention.

Mags
24-05-2010, 02:00 PM
He's a gorgeous boy!

dandysmom
24-05-2010, 03:56 PM
What a stunner!!

calismum
24-05-2010, 06:35 PM
Handsome lad ..............

Shelley123
24-05-2010, 10:14 PM
Tomsk is gorgeous, at least he is getting some food and is tick and flea free for now.

yola
24-05-2010, 10:27 PM
He's LOVELY!!

Mr. Tomsk certainly suits his name. I hope he does finally find a home with you guys - I know you've got your hands full with many other animals, but he just looks like he wants to be there.

Moli
24-05-2010, 11:26 PM
Blimey Farthing, he is the spit of our stray...Mr Tiggles.....I have a similar situation to yours at the mo....

alexgirl73
25-05-2010, 12:08 AM
He is absolutely gorgeous!!! What a face :D

RFM
25-05-2010, 05:42 AM
Honestly, I would have him nuetered and let him live in your stables...of course feed him and care for him but why do you have to bring him in, unless of course he is trying to come inside? He may have been outside all of his life and is happy in the stables with the warm hay and horses. I've been around barn cats most of my life and know they are happy as they can be....as long as you provide regular meals and care.

And he is absolutely gorgeous.

farthing
26-05-2010, 01:13 PM
Glad you like him.:lol:

Yola, the financial side of things is a concern and we really have to stop taking in anymore animals- however he is here and we have to deal with it, not only for his sake but the sake of my others.

Moli, what did you do about your boy, have you taken him in and done all the needful vet treatment.

RFM, we would need to take him inside before the op because he does disappear regularly- tom catting I suppose. I would also prefer that he stayed in until his wounds healed anyway, I know feral cats are released but I would worry about doing it.
There is of course also the concern if he is FIV/ Felv - I would be left with 2 choices either PTS or he becomes a house cat ( hopefully settling down with Tabatha who is also FIV). I couldn't let him carry on outside with a clear conscience if he was infected- not only for the sake of my cats but also for his sake.

Moli
26-05-2010, 01:31 PM
Moli, what did you do about your boy, have you taken him in and done all the needful vet treatment

I have not done anything yet, he has not appeared for a while, although had a woman from the village at the door, saying she had a Tabby Stray in her garden and asked how to get a neutering voucher for him.....May well be the same boy...Will go and see her, and find out what has happened to her boy...