PDA

View Full Version : Winnie has taken a turn for the worst..

Tink
23-04-2010, 03:41 AM
Please pray, I think I am losing her already.

Tink
23-04-2010, 03:57 AM
Her hind legs have given out, urinating/defecating on herself, blood from vulva and anus, and panting. Trying to get a hold of shelter mom to authorize medical treatment. I think we are losing her.

Tink
23-04-2010, 06:41 AM
Well me and shelter mom are meeting up tomorrow so Winnie can get treatment. We are almost sure she has insulinoma and this is a seizure episode due to blood sugar crashing because tumors on the pancreas. It is terminal but my job is to keep her alive thru the night and then if I can keep her alive that long then treatment and she should have a better quality of life for what time she has left.

aliwin
23-04-2010, 07:02 AM
Praying that you kept her going through the night. Hope you make it in time for some treatment. :(

Elaine
23-04-2010, 07:18 AM
Dear god that sounds awful. I really dont want to sound horrible but I'm not sure what to pray for, an end to her suffering, what ever that may be.
Poor baby xxx
Must be awful to see her like this and have to wait... xxx

Tink
23-04-2010, 07:46 AM
I feel the same Elaine, I guess peaceful outcome is what I am praying for and whatever is best for her. Ferrets with this condition can stabalize well with proper treatment and some it would be kinder for them to pass. Thing I'm trying to do right now is keep her from going into a coma b/c we might not be able to get her to wake up again. I am going to be giving her sugar water every thirty minutes and syringe feeding her every three to four hours..gonna be a long night.

Elaine
23-04-2010, 08:28 AM
All the very best to both of you xxx

angieh
23-04-2010, 09:08 AM
If she has any chance, it's with you Tink. Best wishes for the best outcome for her.

Mags
23-04-2010, 12:08 PM
Fingers crossed Winnie pulls through .....x

Tink
23-04-2010, 01:22 PM
Hi guys I've slept all of about an hour next to Winnie's bed. A few hours ago she slumped over and pooped on herself and she is breathing but not responsive :-(

angieh
23-04-2010, 02:17 PM
I am so sorry Tink ............. poor wee Winnie.

Tink
23-04-2010, 04:12 PM
Hey guys I'm taking her to my vet I cannot wait on the shelter mom any longer I'll just pay out of pocket she needs to be seen. I'll let you know.

Phoenix
23-04-2010, 04:40 PM
Fingers crossed she'll be OK.

yola
23-04-2010, 08:13 PM
Oh dear - sorry to hear Winnie's so very unwell. It really sounds like a vet visit - whatever the outcome - is the best course of action. Fingers crossed she has a little longer with you.

Tink
23-04-2010, 08:24 PM
Hi guys, thanks for all your thoughts and prayers. Winnie is much better now.
She is now officially diagnosed with insulinoma (terminal) but the important part is the vet got her stable and she's on meds and much more comfortable. The blood on the vulva and anus is actually just very irritated tissue from her straining from diahhrea and I have ointment for that too.
When the vet brought her back to me from the back room she handed her to me and little angel started kissing me all over my face, I nearly cried of happiness.
I'm so glad I have more time to show her what a real home is like before she passes.
Thanks again. I am just so relieved she is comfortable.

Shelley123
23-04-2010, 08:41 PM
Tink, i'm relieved little Winnie is stable and has longer with you. You are realy so kind to give this little creature a loving home.

dandysmom
23-04-2010, 10:08 PM
I'm so glad she's stabilized; I do hope Winnie will have more time with you and your loving care. Poor wee thing ....

Moli
23-04-2010, 10:18 PM
So pleased she is back with you, and as Eileen says, is being loved and cared for as she deserves...Bless you Tink....

Mags
23-04-2010, 10:24 PM
So pleased you have Winnie back with you Tink, no one could look after her better...

Elaine
24-04-2010, 08:56 AM
Pleased she has been stabalised and hope she remains comfortable for how ever long she remains on this plane.
All the best to you both xxx

angieh
24-04-2010, 11:27 AM
That sounds like a bit of a miracle Tink. Glad she will have a while longer with you.

jan
30-04-2010, 12:40 AM
Tink, what a wonderful person you are - thinking of you and Winnie and so glad things have stabilised.

Jan x

Tink
01-05-2010, 12:44 PM
Well it is with a heavy heart that I write that Miss Winnie got her wings yesterday.
Her and Cooper came into my life two weeks ago after I had a nagging feeling that there was someone at the shelter that really needed me. Her and her brother were deemed unadoptable so I decided to foster them both.
Miss Winnie did not have a very easy life. She'd lived at the shelter for the last two years after being found as a stray and no one knows what her life was like before that. The two years at the shelter no one claimed her. She was scared of all other ferrets except Cooper who decided to take her under his wing in the shelter.
I knew that Winnie was not very healthy when I brought her home. Her gait was shaky and she was partially blind and I spent many hours with her learning what she liked and didn't like. She never bit and gave kisses from the start. She liked the sound of my voice and would eat from the syringe if I gently coaxed her.
After the first week I decided she needed her BG tested and she was diagnosed with insulinoma. My vet got her stable and we got her on Pred and she did okay for the first few days..but then she started to lose her appetite altogether and I really had to force feed her and something strange was going on with her gait..her hind legs still kicked but her hips just hung limply and could not hold her body up. She also had started having labored breathing. I decided again to bring her to my vet for further testing. I knew the shelter could not pay for all these expenses so I just went in and treated her as my own in the two weeks I had her.
Friday morning she seemed rather peaceful and I held her in the baby sling across my chest while I syringe fed her. When I reached down to suck up more soup into the syringe she had enough energy to tilt her face up and kiss me. I told her we were going to the doctor for some tests and she could trust me. She curled up with Cooper and they had a nice cuddle. I went to get the carrier to get ready to drop her off at the vet and Cooper had walked away and she was laying there, it almost seemed like waiting for me.
We went to the vet and had her xrayed. Her BG was tested and even though I had just fed and medicated her it was 53. The insulinoma must have been pretty bad and been there for awhile. When the vet squeezed her back legs she had no pain response in a good portion of her hind end. It almost seemed like there was some spinal degenerative disease happening. The xrays revealed that Winnie's lungs were full of fluid. Her prognosis was very guarded. I asked the vet what our options were and she said we could treat her symptomatically by increasing the Pred and getting her on antibiotics and such..but to be frank with me she would be surprised if she made it more than another 24 hours and she could not guarantee it'd be a peaceful passing at home. Also I live in the middle of nowhere and do not have many options for a vet over the weekend except the ER vet which is still 30 minutes away. I realized I didn't want to risk this and Winnie deserved a peaceful quiet ending.
The vet injected her in the abdomen (my preferred method) and wrapped her up in a baby blanket so I could hold her as she left this world. I was able to watch her breathing slow down until it stopped completely. I stroked her face and her whiskers and kissed her head and told her to go on and be young and healthy again and I promised to her I would look after Cooper. Right before her last breath, her eyes looked into mine. She had never done this before with the blindness, always was guessing where I was by my voice talking to her. But for that brief moment she looked directly into my eyes and I felt like she could see again and her eyes glimmered and her mouth relaxed into a peaceful smile as she exhaled and then she was gone.
I now understand why Winnie needed my help. Cooper seems to be at peace with this so far, it's like he knew all along. I will fulfill my promise to Winnie and take care of him. I have decided to adopt him.

angieh
01-05-2010, 01:54 PM
Oh Tink - that is such a very touching description of Miss Winnie getting her wings. I guessed her time with you would be short, and it is very sad that you couldn't have her for longer. But you've helped her on her journey and she has repaid you in her own way. Bless you and RIP Miss Winnie.

So glad that you have decided to adopt Cooper. He sounds like a perfect gentleman. I hope he doesn't miss Winnie too much. It sounds as if they were meant to be together.

jan
01-05-2010, 01:54 PM
God bless you - you did so much for Winnie - if only there were more people in this world like you. Sweet Winnie, you made her last days so comfortable and made her feel so loved.

Thinking of you jan x

Mags
01-05-2010, 01:57 PM
Bless you for caring so much, Tink......

dandysmom
01-05-2010, 04:21 PM
That was a peaceful passing; she's at rest now, no more pain, and her last days were filled with love and caring. I'm so clad you're adopting Cooper.

Shelley123
01-05-2010, 05:29 PM
I'm very sorry to hear of the loss of Winnie, but take comfort from the fact that she experienced having someone to love and care for her so much.
Good news that you are adopting Cooper.:)