PDA

View Full Version : Pet insurance - Catsey adivce needed!

tcehn
21-04-2010, 11:47 AM
Hi all

Just wondering if anyone can give me a bit of information on the subject of pet insurance? Is it worth it or should I look to setup an account and just put a bit aside each month for Jazz? She is perfectly fine at the moment, just thinking about the future.

A friend’s cat has just been diagnosed with quite a rare but pretty gross problem that could cost her quite a bit. It’s got me thinking that's all. :cry:

Toby

angieh
21-04-2010, 01:43 PM
Hi Toby - this is a subject that pops up quite regularly as you can imagine. There is a load of advice and opinions on this thread. Hope it helps you make your decision.

http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=35454&highlight=insurance

tcehn
22-04-2010, 10:22 AM
Thanks for that Angieh. Some of the deals suggested for cat insurance look ok and not too pricey either. Think I will give Healthy Pets a call this afternoon and see what they quote me.

Phoenix
22-04-2010, 12:29 PM
I put the prices of what it cost to not have Beauty insured on the link that angieh posted.

Wilki31
22-04-2010, 01:31 PM
Our Katie was diabetic and so had regular vet trips and costs for insulin and syringes. We had her insured with Pet Plan and always wondered if it was worth it. We found out as the bills mounted up, they paid out for everything (except food and euthanasia) in a very timely manner and even when we put the last claim in after she was put down, the letter that came with the cheque offered us their sympathy (nice touch). We're using them to insure our two new cats.

Do be careful with cheap deals offered by supermarkets, they may only allow one claim for an ongoing condition.

dandysmom
22-04-2010, 04:08 PM
I wouldn't be without it. Never had to use it, luckily, but the peace of mind knowing it's there if the occasion arises is well worth the price IMO.

Hollyp
23-04-2010, 09:57 AM
Do be careful with cheap deals offered by supermarkets, they may only allow one claim for an ongoing condition.

Haven't heard of that before, normally they allow you to claim until the money runs out on that condition...

Hollyp
23-04-2010, 10:32 AM
Thanks for that Angieh. Some of the deals suggested for cat insurance look ok and not too pricey either. Think I will give Healthy Pets a call this afternoon and see what they quote me.

You don't have to call them you know. You can just get a quote online.

http://www.healthy-pets.co.uk/step1.php

Hope that helps! :-D

How old is Jazz and what breed is she?

candyshandy
23-04-2010, 10:39 AM
I personally wouldn't touch a policy that has a maximum pot like the Healthy Pets one.

The most comprehensive policy is one which covers the condition for life but also a renewable pot per year ie. £7500 per condition per year for the life of the condition.

The follwing companies offer this:

Petplan
Halifax (extra policy)
Axa

I would also go with the higher amount per year £1000 per year is very very low.

To give you an example I claimed £11k back over just under 2 years for Fabes when he had hypercalcaemia and kidney failure.

Your cat doesn't need a rare condition for vet fees to mount up.

Candice
x

tcehn
23-04-2010, 02:08 PM
Thanks for all the advice. The per year pet insurance is definitely the most comprehensive, the only issue is that I am kinda on a budget and cant afford it really.

The pet insurance quote I received over the phone from Healthy pets is under half the annual cost of Pet plan.

Healthy Pets: £65 a year for £7,500 per condition cover
Pet plan: £140 a year for £4,000 per year cover

From what they both said the excesses are the same. So really I have to make a choice between cost and cover. :cry:

I guess £140 isnt so bad at the moment but then again the premiums will rise and I cant afford to be spending £300+ a year on insurance.

I still don't know.