PDA

View Full Version : Presents from cats

Phoenix
20-04-2010, 08:41 PM
What presents do your cat/s bring you?

Today Dylan brought us a rat/mole thing and a bird :shock: :roll:

Usually he brings us moles, mice and rats :roll:

And he nearly got beaten up by Poppet - she was in the garden, he rushed up to her trying to be friendly and Poppet pinned back her ears and growled, yowled and hissed at him

aliwin
20-04-2010, 09:00 PM
The last pressie I got was a pigeon brought through my conservatory window :shock: Schmitz had not long been with us from being a stray, thankfully he has settled down now so I rarely get any from 6 cats. I think thats pretty good going! And I can't say that I'm not quite pleased about that ;)

dandysmom
20-04-2010, 09:34 PM
Mice! And one rat! They're the only things indoor cats can catch. Although I did have a dead sparrow beside my bed once, I assume it came down the chimney and Su-ling dispatched it and brought it upstairs to show me when I woke up. Quite a surprise!

Poor Dylan. He's coming on too strong for Poppet.

angieh
20-04-2010, 10:50 PM
I had a little Dunnock a couple of days ago - poor thing hadn't been dead long. Kizzy was playing with it.

Generally it's mice and voles and shrews.

Merlin brought me a young drowned rat only a few days before he was pts - otherwise during his long life he only ever brought home dead roast potatoes and a gammon rind. Smudge when only young brought in and killed a rat larger than she was.

Pip is a terror with spiders and woodlice!

Phil
21-04-2010, 05:40 PM
Bramble was an expert hunter but stuck to the small stuff - voles, mice, garden birds etc etc.

Chippy couldn't catch a cold although she does go for moths if the back door gets left open with the light on.

Paddy and Murphy are the 'big game' hunters - Rabbits, Sea Gulls, Pigeons - we've even had a crow and a sea gull in tha past oh and Moles and squirrels are popular too.

Fingal (my Springer spaniel) is always first to get into the kitchen each morning to see what 'his bitches' have brought lol

The really odd one but just for a few weeks in the year are bats. It's only Paddy that does this though. He sits on the fence (in the almost dark) and launches himself into the air and catches them as they fly by.

kado
21-04-2010, 05:59 PM
Troy brought home is first pidgeon today.

random
21-04-2010, 06:31 PM
The last pressie I got was a pigeon brought through my conservatory window :shock: Schmitz had not long been with us from being a stray, thankfully he has settled down now so I rarely get any from 6 cats. I think thats pretty good going! And I can't say that I'm not quite pleased about that ;)

The last present I got was also a ruddy great pidge brought in through the living room window by Tucker, who proceeded to run behind the sofa with said bird, closely followed by 5 inquisitive cats, he then ran back out and tried to get back out the window, where I caught him with my super fast reflexes when he was halfway out, and he dropped the bird out the window! Job done. He did start mewing profusely (put on his cutest mew, of course) when he saw me bagging and binning the bloody thing. :shock:

They don't catch too much as they only go in the garden and not very far away.

dandysmom
21-04-2010, 08:02 PM
Luke's Clementine is an expert bat catcher!

angieh
21-04-2010, 08:05 PM
I can't imagine a cat catching a bat ........... my gardening chap mentioned a cat of his that used to catch swallows. Clever I suppose, but very sad. I would hate either of my two to catch bats or swallows (or long-tailed tits).

Have to mention that one morning I went into the front room during the late Spring - Merlin was in there - and found a wren. I am glad to say the wren was alive and seemingly unharmed. Can't think how it got there. I caught it and took it out to the garden and perched it up high in the hedge. It stayed a while before flying off. Did Merlin catch it???? I'll never know for sure.

jacks
21-04-2010, 08:47 PM
Minnies never caught anything that i know of.Shes abit of a scardy cat.If the birds start having a go at her she comes running in.:lol:

My first cat called Toby use to bring me leaves in through the catflap.Again he never bought me any small living thing.

MY mums neighbours cat bought a slow worm in once:?

EmmaG
21-04-2010, 08:49 PM
Arthur brought me a worm once :-)

It was the first thing he ever brought me.!!! LOL

dandysmom
21-04-2010, 09:51 PM
Bramble was an expert hunter but stuck to the small stuff - voles, mice, garden birds etc etc.

Chippy couldn't catch a cold although she does go for moths if the back door gets left open with the light on.

Paddy and Murphy are the 'big game' hunters - Rabbits, Sea Gulls, Pigeons - we've even had a crow and a sea gull in tha past oh and Moles and squirrels are popular too.

Fingal (my Springer spaniel) is always first to get into the kitchen each morning to see what 'his bitches' have brought lol

The really odd one but just for a few weeks in the year are bats. It's only Paddy that does this though. He sits on the fence (in the almost dark) and launches himself into the air and catches them as they fly by.

Oh if only you weren't on the other side of the Pond, Phil, I'd beg on bended knee to borrow Paddy and Murphy to clear out my infestation of those dreadful destructive vermin!! :-D

Shelley123
21-04-2010, 09:59 PM
Tom and Jerry sometimes catch Mice, sometimes all that is left is the odd organ, probably the gall bladder or something.
They have never caught birds as far as i know and now due to the problem with their hing legs they wouldn't be fast enough.
Years ago one of my cats brought a live frog into the house.
One of them also brought an uncooked chicken, i dread to think where they got it from :O

dandysmom
21-04-2010, 10:09 PM
I can't vouch for this but a friend told me his neighbor's cat once brought home a half of a cooked chicken ! Leg and breast missing on one side.

cats' staff
22-04-2010, 08:42 AM
Someone, and I'm not sure who, brings back live rabbits and let's them go in the house. I have no idea how territorial rabbits are and if they ever find their way home after we release them as there are rabbits in fields for miles around.

Herod, my first cat, once bought me a slightly savaged pack of bacon. As I'm veggie I had to decline the gift.

Phoenix
22-04-2010, 12:22 PM
Oh if only you weren't on the other side of the Pond, Phil, I'd beg on bended knee to borrow Paddy and Murphy to clear out my infestation of those dreadful destructive vermin!! :-D

Dylan's never seen a squirrel so don't know if he'd catch one. If he would (and if we lived your side of the pond) I'd lend him to you DM :lol:

Not red squirrels though - they're rare and protected.

dandysmom
22-04-2010, 04:03 PM
Thanks for the thought, RCR! I meant the Eastern grey squirrels. They never should have been imported to the UK, they're outbreeding ad outcompeting your reds.

Phoenix
22-04-2010, 04:05 PM
Thanks for the thought, RCR! I meant the Eastern grey squirrels. They never should have been imported to the UK, they're outbreeding ad outcompeting your reds.

Grey squrrels are evil :twisted:

Phil
24-04-2010, 11:22 PM
Arthur brought me a worm once :-)

It was the first thing he ever brought me.!!! LOL

That had me chuckling out loud.

Unfortunately round here they are red as well as grey :cry:

Netty
25-04-2010, 11:44 AM
My mindy used to bring in empty sweetie wrappers!