PDA

View Full Version : Grubby "hocks"!

angieh
14-04-2010, 10:04 PM
Pip doesn't seem to be able to keep his hocks clean! I may not have the terminology right - the part of his hind legs between his feet and his ankle (I guess). They are getting rather grubby looking and I wondered if anyone could suggest a good way for me to clean them for him. What should I use??? Any suggestions welcome, short of signing him in for a weekend at a spa to be pampered and indulged :lol: :lol: :lol:

dandysmom
14-04-2010, 10:56 PM
Can't be helpful with that; Leia (and predecessors) keeps hers washed, Hind legs being touched here are a no-no anyway, "noli me tangere"!! Even my gentle, good natured girl.

Moli
14-04-2010, 11:00 PM
I find like Leia, my boys keep themselves clean....

Mags
14-04-2010, 11:02 PM
Cassie's are almost spotless .....

angieh
15-04-2010, 09:06 AM
That's no help ladies! But perhaps your lovely clean cats could tell him how it's done????

Maybe it's just because he's a teenager (10 months nearly).

Mags
15-04-2010, 09:08 AM
That's no help ladies! But perhaps your lovely clean cats could tell him how it's done????

Maybe it's just because he's a teenager (10 months nearly).
I hope he washes behind his ears, Angie! :-D

angieh
15-04-2010, 09:12 AM
Most of the rest of him is spotless Mags - just his hocks and of course being white they do show up the dirt! Kizzy's hocks are black, so I wouldn't know if she keeps them clean or not!!!

yola
15-04-2010, 09:39 AM
My daft old stick often gets his back legs (and a bit higher up too) mucky. He goes in the shower; I used to use a special cat shampoo but now just use the the boys' organic, pthalate (sp) free body wash.

Not sure if Pip will countenance being showered though . . .

kado
15-04-2010, 12:11 PM
I also bath Kado when he is mucky. My neighbour is having building work done at the moment and last night he came in covered in sand. I dusted him off but he still looks grubby looks like its a bath for him. He does like water as do maiseys kittens as well.

angieh
15-04-2010, 12:17 PM
Do you use a cat shampoo Jane???

Pip loves water, but I wasn't thinking of giving him a bath, just rubbing his back legs .......... cat shampoo probably is the best thing. I'd thought of very diluted Hibiscrub.

lisa01uk87
15-04-2010, 01:25 PM
you can get a dry shampoo for dogs, im not sure about cats though might be worth a look i was thinking of looking for something similar for trouble

lisa01uk87
15-04-2010, 01:29 PM
http://www.petsathome.com/shop/cat/cat-grooming-tools-products/cat-shampoos/

there are 2 on here i hope this helps

angieh
15-04-2010, 02:06 PM
Thanks for that Lisa - I actually like the look of the no rinse shampoo. I could dilute it and rub it on with a cloth and that would be that. I have a P@H fairly near and will certainly have a look next time I go in.

dandysmom
15-04-2010, 04:12 PM
Good luck, Angie. I somehow think Pip wouldn't take very kindly to a full bath!

Aquatic
15-04-2010, 08:26 PM
Felix tends to take care of himself when he is mucky :lol:

calismum
15-04-2010, 10:05 PM
When Alfie was unwell I think it was Mags who did a link to the grooming wipes for cats. I got some at PAH and they were fine. Vet also said I could use the unscented baby wipes. Either of these would keep him spic and span I would have thought.

angieh
15-04-2010, 10:48 PM
Yes, I did spot those on the P@H website and have those on my shopping list - thanks! 2 for 1 offer on atm.

dandysmom
15-04-2010, 10:50 PM
Let us know how it goes.

orlando
19-04-2010, 01:21 PM
Diluted cat shampoo rubbed in and then lots of rinsing,otherwise he would ingest it if he tried to lick it dry. Only cat shampoo as it does not have a lot of soap in it,but always at least 4 or 5 rinses.maybe dipping his feet in a jug of tepid water and massaging it out.Hope this helps.

random
19-04-2010, 06:42 PM
Well all of mine but Tucker have dark legs! Sometimes his do get a wee bit grubby with them being white but he tends to clean himself when they do so they aren't for long. Hope the dry shampoo works, I have used it on the dogs, it's quite useful. x

Thalice
28-04-2010, 08:58 PM
The lovely Lichen has white hocks too and seems to get rather grubby there. I have used the no-rinse PAH shampoo - the blue one (hairdressers use blue rinse to brighten white/grey hair) and then followed it up when dry with the sort of chalk block you use on white dogs. Seems to do the trick, Although make sure you brush out all the chalk if you are showing.

Thalice's Mum
:smt024

Netty
15-05-2010, 01:09 PM
My Bennys hocks are always filthy! His cheeks get manky as well. Think he rubs up against cars and gets a little oily! I rub him down with a damp towel which gets rid of some of it.