PDA

View Full Version : Would a friend help my very nervous new boy?

sarah5
10-04-2010, 03:38 PM
Hi there everyone, haven't been here for ages but need some advice if that's ok :)

I have just rehomed a new boy, he is 11 and extremely nervous at the moment. He is adorably loving once I've managed to coax him out from under the bed lol but otherwise he just spends most of his time asleep under there.

He has only been with me for 2 weeks. I have had him checked at the vets, have 2 feliway diffusers going and am giving as much attention as I think he wants.

I just wondered, would it help or hinder the nervousness to get another newbie?? I would be more than happy to take on another rescue but am worried it might make him even worse.. or is it possible it might bring him out of his shell?

ANY advise very gratefully received :) :)

angieh
10-04-2010, 03:46 PM
Hi Sarah - well done for taking on a rehome.

I rehomed Kizzy just about a year ago (Anniversary tomorrow!) and she was nervous to start with, understandably. Your boy probably has had at least two moves in the recent past and he needs to settle in before you think about getting another cat IMO. I was looking for a friend for Kizzy and phoned Battersea and was advised that they would not consider rehoming until a resident cat was well settled and had "established routines". I actually did wait for about 4 months before I brought Pip home.

I think a new house, new everything plus a new potential friend or enemy would be too much just at the moment. Give him time.

What's his name btw ............ and a photo would be great when he does come out from under your bed!

dandysmom
10-04-2010, 04:35 PM
I agree with Angie; let him settle in, get confident and establish a routine; then consider a companion, One of our members had a skittish rather aloof cat whose personality completely changed after she got a male kitten to keep her company.

Elaine
10-04-2010, 05:29 PM
Hi Sarah, good to see you.

I'd also say to wait a while. Allow him as much time as he needs to settle in and see how his temperament is then. Do you know anything about his history? Has he been with other cats before? Look forward to the pictures.

sarah5
10-04-2010, 10:44 PM
Oooooh thanks so so much for all your super quick replies :) New boy is called Harvey and I've put a pic up next to my name above. Can I also somehow put a proper photo on here as I have a few I could post?

Thank you for your advice everyone. I think that sounds very sensible Angie and I'm now really pleased I posted as you're all totally right of course, I need to let him find his feet (paws hehe) before even considering another change for him.

Well he actually came downstairs a while ago *big grin* he chatted away sounding like a little Ewok lol, rubbing around and even jumped up and sat on my knee for about 10 mins.. before getting skittish again and racing back to the comfort of under the bed ;-)

Thanks again, your help is very much appreciated :) :)

dandysmom
11-04-2010, 02:01 AM
Oooooh thanks so so much for all your super quick replies :) New boy is called Harvey and I've put a pic up next to my name above. Can I also somehow put a proper photo on here as I have a few I could post?
Thank you for your advice everyone. I think that sounds very sensible Angie and I'm now really pleased I posted as you're all totally right of course, I need to let him find his feet (paws hehe) before even considering another change for him.

Well he actually came downstairs a while ago *big grin* he chatted away sounding like a little Ewok lol, rubbing around and even jumped up and sat on my knee for about 10 mins.. before getting skittish again and racing back to the comfort of under the bed ;-)

Thanks again, your help is very much appreciated :) :)

Here's the link on how to post pics. look forward to seeing them!
http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=8195

Kim
11-04-2010, 08:33 AM
Congratulations on your new boy - love his name! Agree with what others have said.

sarah5
11-04-2010, 10:08 AM
oooh thanks for that dandysmom I'll have a go later :D

Thanks Kim everyone has given great advice, I've decided to definitely keep my gorgeous Harvey as an only cat for the timebeing and give him all my love and care.

and thanks for the warm welcome back everyone!

angieh
11-04-2010, 11:27 AM
I am so glad Harvey has come downstairs and been friendly, even if he did retreat - that's normal!

I do look forward to seeing photos of the dear chap - my eyesight isn't good enough to see him properly in your avatar! Is he really that handsome???? :-D :-D :-D

sarah5
11-04-2010, 05:34 PM
teehee aw thanks Angie :D I'm just looking at dandysmom's links and working out how to upload some pics.. might take some time lol!!

sarah5
11-04-2010, 05:36 PM
HMMMMM is this going to work????

http://i1034.photobucket.com/albums/a422/redslm/utf-8BSU1HMDAyMjAtMjAxMDA0MTAtMjA1M.jpg

sarah5
11-04-2010, 05:37 PM
http://i1034.photobucket.com/albums/a422/redslm/utf-8BSU1HMDAxMjgtMjAxMDA0MDQtMjE1N.jpg

sarah5
11-04-2010, 05:39 PM
YIPPEEEEE I did it!! Well as you can see he looks totally and utterly TERRIFIED in both pics, bless him. He does relax and does love a cuddle but any hint of a noise and he's back under my bed, love him :D

sarah5
11-04-2010, 05:45 PM
http://i1034.photobucket.com/albums/a422/redslm/harvster.jpg

angieh
11-04-2010, 06:27 PM
Oh thanks for those photos Sarah - he is a poppet! Just wait until he settles in, he'll be gorgeous!

dandysmom
11-04-2010, 08:03 PM
Oh isn't he the handsome boy, love his facial markings! I'd say serious and a bit wary, not terrified; he'll settle in. Well done getting the pics on!

Moli
11-04-2010, 09:54 PM
He is a gorgeous boy.....

sarah5
12-04-2010, 10:04 AM
AWWW thanks everyone *big grin*!!

Elaine
12-04-2010, 03:54 PM
Love his smudgey face, looks quite mischievous:D

Shelley123
12-04-2010, 04:55 PM
Welcome Sarah and Harvey, he's a handsome chap.

sarah5
12-04-2010, 05:20 PM
Thanks for the welcome Shelley.. and Elaine I think you're right I think he might turn out to be a bit of a mischief!

Just sat here watching telly with my little boys and he slunk downstairs, plonked himself on the floor and did a big display of rolling around hehe the boys think he's adorable!

dandysmom
12-04-2010, 08:01 PM
He's coming around! What good news.