PDA

View Full Version : Now Candy.

farthing
09-04-2010, 08:39 PM
A couple of days ago, I went to feed the cats and Candy was going mental, batting evrybody who was near her, now she is fairly temperamental, but she was even going for Misty, who she doesn't bother with. She then had a go at me, so I held her down until she calmed down a bit- not hard but enough to stop her batting me.
She was a bit quiet the next day, but ate as normal, keen for food this morning, this afternoon she was sick and even more lethargic. I rushed her to the vet, convinced I'd done some damage, feeling totally gutted that I'd hurt one of them.
The vet can't really find much wrong, no temp, nothing sore but suspects a flair up of her IBD, and wonders if the aggressive behaviour was because she was sore- I feel awful- the vet gave her some injections and she then had some nasty diarrhoea. She is now on the bed but very quiet.
What does seem coincidental is that Jimmy, who is also suspected to have a form of IBD- gets very constipated- was very bunged up yesterday, I had to give him 2 enemas to get things moving and he was very uncomfortable. He has been fine for ages, so I wonder what has caused this I don't know of any changes over the last week, and the hi-life ingredients are the same. I am so worried, probably more so because I feel guilty- but she was being nasty at the time and gave me a nasty few scratches.

angieh
09-04-2010, 10:29 PM
Poor Candy ......... poor you. I do hope you can find a reason, I'm not sure I believe in coincidences, if Jimmy has been bunged up too. Maybe he didn't drink as much as usual, or some other factor is in play.

I am sure that Candy won't blame you once she starts to feel less sore - don't beat yourself up about it. Do hope your scratches mend without problems too.

dandysmom
10-04-2010, 03:01 AM
Don't blame yourself, please, you'd never hurt a cat and she needed calming. How old is she ... possible onset of feline dementia?

farthing
11-04-2010, 08:28 PM
Thank you, I had a pain in my chest on Friday I was so stressed and upset. The vet did laugh at me when I showed her how I held Candy and said there was no way I would have hurt her.

Candy is more like herself again and not been sick or had diarrhoea since, so hopefully she is on the mend.

Elaine
11-04-2010, 09:19 PM
I dont know what to say otheer than I am very sorry they are out of sorts. After everything we experienced with Eva, I now beleive that behaviour issues are a direct result of medical issues and should never be taken for granted.
You do very well by your animals and I have alot of admiration for you. xxx

jan
11-04-2010, 10:45 PM
Its awful to be beating yourself up about something when you only did it with Candy s best interests at heart and your other animals too. I know its easy to do, but we have to act as we see fit at that particular time, I felt so guilty for letting my various cats out at all (why did I leave him out/ let her out at that particular time, etc) as they then got run over and killed, but its pointless. We love our animals and we do our best by them and you certainly do, from reading your threads. Glad Candy is calmed down now and hope she and your other puss continue to recover. Jan x