PDA

View Full Version : Spice again.

farthing
05-04-2010, 12:44 PM
When I woke this morning I thought there was something odd about Spice. She was acting normally, although she didn't start the night, or spend any of it on my pillow, which was slightly strange. Anyway, when I went to feed her, I realised it was because her left pupil had blown- the right was constricting normally but the left remained dilated. The vet was coming out to check a sheep and look at Pippin who has gone lame, so I asked if she would alos look at Spice. She said it could be a number of things- possibly linked to her ears ranging through to a tumour. She is happy with Spice at the moment and Spice is still eating, but we have to watch her and try to keep an eye out for any neurological issue developing.:(

Kay
05-04-2010, 12:48 PM
Fingers crossed that it isn't to serious. It must be very worrying. Poor Spice

angieh
05-04-2010, 01:41 PM
Poor Spice - I am sure you would know if she was in distress, I presume her vision must be ??? poor in that eye.

Shelley123
05-04-2010, 01:54 PM
Sorry to hear about Spice, i'm glad the vet is reasonably happy with her and that she's still eating.

Elaine
05-04-2010, 03:49 PM
Poor Spice xxx
Remind me please, is she one of the crf kitties? Could it be her blood pressure at all? Hope it's nothing that cannt be managed and that she remains well and eating. xxxx

dandysmom
05-04-2010, 04:34 PM
Disatressing news, no wonder you're concerned. Hope all continues well .....

farthing
05-04-2010, 07:08 PM
Poor Spice xxx
Remind me please, is she one of the crf kitties? Could it be her blood pressure at all? Hope it's nothing that cannt be managed and that she remains well and eating. xxxx

Yes, she is a CRF cat, but is on istin for her high blood pressure already. I asked the vet if this may be an issue, but because Spice's blood pressure was normal the last time she was treated and the fortekor would also reduce it, she didn't think it was likely to be a problem. She does think it may be something like 'Horner's syndrome' where the nerves to the eye are affected.

The vets do all agree that it is nearing the end of Spice's time with us, but are happy she is content at the moment, as are we.:(

dandysmom
05-04-2010, 08:15 PM
I know you'll cherish every moment with her, and she couldn't be more loved or better cared for, farthing. Please give her a cuddle from me

Elaine
05-04-2010, 08:16 PM
Oh bless her fluffy paws xxx

yola
05-04-2010, 09:36 PM
I hope Spice can have some more quality time with you, it's such a difficult situation :(

pookyandjo
07-04-2010, 02:47 PM
you cant ask for much more Farthing.. if she's happy and content then that's great... she's very lucky to have you in her corner

jan
07-04-2010, 07:22 PM
Hi there Farthing,
that happened to Max last year, diagnosis Horners syndrome, he also had the third eyelid for some weeks, which eventually cleared up. His eye seems okay most of the time, tho in some lights I detect one pupil slightly bigger than the other, but at other times they are equal. The vet was puzzled as to what caused this syndrome but some weeks later he could nt stand up and kept toppling over (Max, not the vet!) and I kept him confined to one room, the vet I rang her, thought it may be Max s ears or an extension of this symdrome, but although he remains slightly wobbly on one back leg to this day, he was loads better within forty eight hours.

I am so sorry to hear about this with Spice as I know you have had a sad time lately and as I have two elderly cats I know how you are feeling. I have posted re Max as I have fresh worries, I feel so depressed and tearful at the moment and I cant help it, I wish I didnt. Its hard to deal with when you watch them deteriorating.

Much love, Jan x

farthing
07-04-2010, 07:44 PM
Thank you,
it is very stressful when your oldies get ill. Spice is eating fairly well and maintaining her weight, but it is good to know her eye problems may improve. She had an ear infection initially and the vet thinks the Horner's has follow on from it, she is also quite wobbly, although she can jump onto her hammock and the bed.:) I must confess there has been so much heartache this year I hope she perks up and has a few good months, I know we will have to say goodbye at some point- but not yet!

farthing
04-05-2010, 07:42 PM
Well, I'm delighted to say Spice is still with us and still maintaining her weight. She had her acupuncture today and the vet is still happy with her condition, in fact she was down to 1.9 kgs in Feb and is now sitting at 2.18kgs, and has done so for the last 3 months.
Her head tilt isn't quite so bad and neither is the difference between the pupils of her eyes, and she's still able to climb/ jump onto her hammock.
I have been a bit concerned as I've found her lying in a litter tray a couple of times, not distressed in anyway, just asleep. I'm not sure if it is a particulary cosey one ( its hardly used) or if she jjust forget why she has gone in it and falls asleep, otherwise she seems fine.

Shelley123
04-05-2010, 08:33 PM
What lovely news farthing, thanks for the update

dandysmom
04-05-2010, 08:35 PM
Oh, encouraging, thanks for the update. So glad the vet is pleased at hoe she's doing!

Mags
04-05-2010, 08:37 PM
Good news, Farthing :)

yola
04-05-2010, 09:27 PM
That's excellent news. Long may Spice be with you! My Balie took to sleeping in the litter tray for a bit; but it didn't seem to co-incide with anything in particular symptom-wise.