PDA

View Full Version : Humping!

angieh
05-04-2010, 10:48 AM
:oops: I saw Pip humping his blanket this morning ..... it started off with butter making and then I am fairly sure went into an imitation hump ...... he has been neutered but obviously still has "the urge".

My question is really, do I just let him get on with it or try to distract him. He's not doing any harm. :oops:

EmmaG
05-04-2010, 11:17 AM
LOL!!!! more little mite!!

I think I would try and distract him

Elaine
05-04-2010, 03:40 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: sorry to laugh Angie, Bernie is quite the humper too. We just let him get on with it, once he has done his deed he just wants a cuddle or to curl up for a nap. No harm done and he doesnt seem stressed or frustrated or anything. We have always put it down to him being neutered late but who knows...

angieh
05-04-2010, 03:53 PM
I'm not too worried!!! It's just that as he was "done" at 6 months and will be 10 months later in April - I didn't want him to develop an "obsessional" type behaviour if I could stop it by distracting him early on.

Elaine
05-04-2010, 04:03 PM
You could try a distraction but some times people can get too involved in trying to distract them every time that they infact create the animal to develope an obsession, if that makes sense...
If using a distraction just be quite casual about it and dont get intense over it.
I'm sure you are pretty laid back anyway and things will be just fine, just thought I'd mention the fact that sometimes people create the issue...
Rambling now so will just ****** off back to my corner:lol:

dandysmom
05-04-2010, 04:30 PM
I've never had that happen with my boys except once, and that was a real try: Misty had gone into heat and was rolling and calling, so Sultan assumed the position, nape bite and all. then just stood there not knowing what to do next; very funny to watch.

I think I'd probably try to distract him, as Elaine says, casually, so he won't connect it with getting attention. It is Spring and the sap is rising, LOL.

yola
05-04-2010, 09:33 PM
Myshka still does this . . . usually on my leg in the middle of the night :shock: Sometimes I'll just let him get it out of his system but sometimes I'll distract him with a bit of a stroking and he quickly settles down to sleep.

Aquatic
06-04-2010, 12:00 AM
This made me have a good old laugh sorry couldn't help it. Felix hasn't done this yet. Getting him neutered soon just got to ring up the vets. I mentioned the vets earlier when I was talking on the phone to a friend and the dog ran a mile the cat just looked at me looking puzzled :lol:

angieh
06-04-2010, 10:38 AM
Well, I think I did a good low key distraction this morning. Kizzy was on the bed too, Pip started butter making, so I gave Kizzy and good stroking and tickling and then moved on to Pip, rolled him over, gave him the tummy tickle - he responded by his usual little nip, which isn't a nip really and licking my hand, then he rolled too much and fell off the bed! He is such a clown and loves to roll off things, and make it look like he hasn't done it on purpose!!!

yola
06-04-2010, 11:04 AM
Excellent tactic Angie! When mine roll off things they will immediately start furiously licking and get all agitated as if to say 'stop laughing I . . . ahem . . . meant to do that'!

random
06-04-2010, 01:39 PM
I've never had that happen with my boys except once, and that was a real try: Misty had gone into heat and was rolling and calling, so Sultan assumed the position, nape bite and all. then just stood there not knowing what to do next; very funny to watch.

I think I'd probably try to distract him, as Elaine says, casually, so he won't connect it with getting attention. It is Spring and the sap is rising, LOL.

Yes, when Princess had her season, Anakin and Colin did the same but never quite knew what to do next either, (the boys were neutered of course) and Tucker never showed an interest in her at all. Now the girls are all spayed here none of the boys hump or mount anything and I have always been lucky with my cats that none have ever sprayed in the house either.

pookyandjo
07-04-2010, 02:39 PM
OMG??? do cats hump???:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry Angie...but i've never seen them do it and i've only ever had male cats until Harry... maybe its just because here adopted kittens are always neutered at around 8 weeks...bad mental picture

angieh
07-04-2010, 03:02 PM
.......... 'fraid they do, Jo - even though neutered, they can still go through the motions!

dandysmom
07-04-2010, 04:19 PM
I've had four neutered males and none of them, except Sultan's one abortive attempt, have ever humped. Just lucky, I guess.