PDA

View Full Version : Ashes to Ashes - New Series (Final)

angieh
03-04-2010, 12:51 PM
Started last night ...........

So what did you think??? I can't wait for the next episode! Is Gene Hunt a villain???

It's going to have to go out with a huge bang ......... just hope it's not a damp squib ending.

yola
03-04-2010, 01:36 PM
I was completely glued to it! It was so good to have them all back on the screen - didn't realise how much I'd missed the series.

I don't know what to make of the allusions to Gene's evil, I'm usually the last one to 'get' the twists in a plot so I tend not to over analyse as I often get it completely wrong :oops:

I do admit to being fascinated by the new character (Jim?) and also to Alex's finding of the Sam Tyle file.

Another reason to look forward to the end of the week now :D

PoshPuss
03-04-2010, 01:46 PM
oh, it was lovely to see the Gene genie again :-D
nah, he's a good guy I think. But he's what it all revolves around; like Yola I'm trying not to analyse it too much. JUst going along with it for the ride.
Fire up the Quattro, this series will be a blast ....:twisted:

Aquatic
03-04-2010, 02:04 PM
I just watched it on BBC iPlayer as I missed it last night. I don't think he's a bad guy. I'm so glad it is on again.
I love Ashes to Ashes :-D.

angieh
03-04-2010, 02:11 PM
Just as a little "aside" - have you heard the latest indication of how little the Labour Party's PR team can get right????

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2010/apr/02/david-cameron-gene-hunt-labour-poster

Fire up the Quatro indeed!

(Can I just add that I am not a normal Conservative voter!)

yola
03-04-2010, 02:15 PM
Interesting that Labour are presenting that as a negative - it's a campaign that may well (pardon the pun) backfire on them!

Kim
03-04-2010, 06:56 PM
I enjoyed it. Not as good as Life on Mars, but still very watchable :)

Shelley123
03-04-2010, 09:20 PM
It's great, i just love it, have watched them all, it's like a trip down memory lane. No Gene can't be a baddie, can he ?? No idea whats going to happen, like you Yola i can't usualy work out the twists.
There was a lot wrong with Policing in the 70/80's but sometimes you can't help thinking we have gone too far the other way now. Maybe a clip around the ear by the local bobby wasn't such a bad thing etc ?

angieh
03-04-2010, 09:27 PM
Something horrible happened to the Police in the 70's - I grew up in and around a police housing estate, my best friend was a policeman's daughter and I respected policemen - I trusted them to do what was best and to protect people. Somehow that all changed and I used to be really scared if I was stopped by the police in the 70s/80s and the only thing I'd done wrong was drive a mini. I just had to learn to keep my mouth firmly shut and make a note of the man's number. Not that I complained of course.

I think Gene could be really bad ................................

yola
03-04-2010, 10:13 PM
I think Gene could be really bad ................................

Hmmmm - I suspect you may be right. I'd really hate for that to be the case though.

yola
17-05-2010, 10:24 AM
Was watching a re-run of Friday's episode on iPlayer yesterday and was doodling.

Did you know that Sam Tyler is an anagram of Masterly?

And who played both Sam Tyler and The Master . . . and which production company is responsible for both programmes . . . AND why was there a tear/rip image with fire/bright light coming through both the sky in Dr Who and across Viv's photograph at his funeral service?

Are they all dead? Who, if anyone is time travelling and will the Dr save the day (in one way or another)??

angieh
17-05-2010, 10:47 AM
I had spotted none of those things Yola! Not sure if I feel that's "legitimate" or not for the programme to go that way .... :? :smt017 :smt017 :smt017 :smt017 :smt017

candyshandy
17-05-2010, 10:53 AM
There are loads of theories flying around the internet.

One of them is that they are all in purgatory and Gene is the good guy and Keats is the devil - taking souls.

The writers have also said that the fans have got it about 80% right so who knows........

Can't wait for the last episode and will Alex and Gene finally get it on!;)

yola
17-05-2010, 11:17 AM
Can't wait for the last episode and will Alex and Gene finally get it on!;)

I have to admit, that was a very tender scene when they were dancing and she put her head on his shoulder. Mmmmm - one can only dream ;)

angieh
22-05-2010, 06:02 PM
I watched it last night ............. did you? Or are you going to watch it on iPlayer or a recorded version - I don't want to spoil it for anyone!!!

candyshandy
22-05-2010, 06:05 PM
I watched it - it was great:D

PoshPuss
22-05-2010, 10:03 PM
Watched it this afternoon, knew Gene was the copper with the shotgunned face, and that all along he was a good guy. Found it very touching and some how has helped me to realise that things have to move on and maybe Posh was a bit of a Gene genie for me ... just a thought ! :?

Shelley123
22-05-2010, 10:10 PM
Just watched it and it didn't disapoint. I didn't see it coming (i never do!) so it was a surprise. Did cotton on to Jimbo being the Devil though.
Sounds realy sad i know but i will miss the programme, i have realy enjoyed all the series.
I can re watch but wonder if it will feel the same now we are in the know?

angieh
22-05-2010, 10:15 PM
I've just watched it again - and I will miss this series, as I missed Life on Mars and previous Ashes to Ashes. Had a few ups and downs with it, but no it did not disappoint.

Never expected The Railway Arms - that's a motif that's come up in several series - things ending in the pub. Quantum Leap and Stargate SG1. Suppose it's not a bad way to go!

yola
22-05-2010, 10:36 PM
Wow, imagine heaven being a pub (easily done ;) )!

That was a storming series; whilst all things were pointing towards Fenchurch being unreal the final twists were superb. Real sharp intake of breath when I realised Alex wasn't going to get back . . . for some reason I was convinced she'd get back to Molly :(

Shelley - I know what you mean about being sad that the programme has finished. There was a comfort about it and there's nothing to look forward to on a Friday now (apart from the end of the week of course)!

Nette - Hopefully once Posh is safely back home you can watch A2A again without the associated anguish and pain.

I will be rerunning it on iPlayer again in the next few evenings.

Kim
23-05-2010, 06:06 PM
Well I was confused and so was OH. I didn't realise the guy with the shotgunned face was Gene! So were they all dead and Jim was the devil? What about the Railway Arms, where does that fit in, was Nelson dead too then? Way too many questions than answers for me! Someone pelase explain!! I did cotton on that Alex had died, but where did she go to?

Shelley123
23-05-2010, 10:41 PM
The way i understand it Kim is that Gene's job was to help Police that have passed over adjust. He was killed in the 50's and the new cops came from the future so he looked older than when he was killed. I assume the Railway arms was symbolic of heaven ?
I understand Jim was the Devil and wanted to take them to hell.

fancyabrew
24-05-2010, 12:30 PM
yeah the pub was heaven, Jim was the devil and I suppose Gene is St Peter

pinklizzy
24-05-2010, 08:59 PM
Only got to watch the final episode yesterday but totally worth the wait! Probably just the hormones but I cried! Going to miss the lovely Gene though, and the poor quattro!

CathyW
24-05-2010, 10:02 PM
heaven is a pub and gods the barman. was a good ending wanted to cry

Kim
24-05-2010, 10:44 PM
Thanks, yes I understand now. I must admit I googled it and they pretty much said what you guys have. Did anyone notice that when Jim kicked Gene he momentarily turned into his younger self in uniform? I didn't notice, but I watched it again on iplayer and it is true! Very clever ending, I would never have guessed!