PDA

View Full Version : Something wrong with Bramble

Phil
03-04-2010, 01:17 AM
Hi there.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3166/2763911046_fbeb63dec7.jpg

Thought I'd pop back over (first time in ages) to Catsey rather than post on Dogsey. Something isn't right with our Tortie Bramble.

Before I start I'll just add that Bramble only ever comes into the house during the night or if she's getting fed. Although we've had her since she was 8 weeks (and she's 14 years old now) she lives a very private life and is a shy girl.

Anyway - because of this lack of contact it's hard to know quite how much weight she's lost but yesterday I was stroking her in the garden and was suddenly shocked by how skinny she was. The picture above is her normal punching weight.

I gave her the once over and she seemed OK. With 4 cats It's hard to tell if one cat isn't eating as the food will always be eaten so last night I fed her away from the other 3 cats so I could check if she was managing OK. She ate the dry food without any problem and i gave her meat which she also ate pretty damn quickly.

Tonight she's come in and something isn't right. She seems to be breathing quite fast, her waist and hips seems slim and her thighs seem wimpy and her back legs are a bit weak.

Again I've fed her - she ate fine. She 'meows' when I say her name - she purrs when I stroke her. Teeth are fine, gums are fine, eyes are bright, worming was due but not overdue so I've done that today.

Chippy, Murphy and Paddy are all fine.

At a loss really ?

dandysmom
03-04-2010, 01:59 AM
Phil, that calls for a trip to the vet ASAP, methinks! I don't like that weight loss, and as she's not in the house all the time it's no wonder you didn't notice anything before; cats are extremely clever as disguising illness. Please get her checked. And please let us know.

Phil
03-04-2010, 02:16 AM
Phil, that calls for a trip to the vet ASAP, methinks! I don't like that weight loss, and as she's not in the house all the time it's no wonder you didn't notice anything before; cats are extremely clever as disguising illness. Please get her checked. And please let us know.

Just been through to the kitchen and she's still not right. I've made her a nice bed with some old towels and she's settled. It's hard to explain but rather than curling up like she always does - she's lying 'straight' a bit like the Sphinx. Her breathing still seems heavy and rather than 'sleeping' she's just kind of staring where she's pointing. Had another feel around her body but nothing seems sore or unusual other than the skinny back half.

The lethargy is a worry as she's normally quite sparky.

Anyway - she's fed, watered and cozy.

I did pick a worm off her bum a couple of days ago so whilst not ideal - I hope that it's perhaps a nutrition problem that can be sorted.

We have a uncanny history of horrible emergency vet visits on Easter Sunday so I'll see how she is the morning.

Phil
03-04-2010, 03:46 AM
She's obviously not going out so I'm off to bed. I've shut Paddy, Chippy (she'll not be pleased) and Murphy outside so Bramble should have some peace and quiet.

Moli
03-04-2010, 06:48 AM
Has she been wormed recently Phil??

Mags
03-04-2010, 09:33 AM
Hi Phil, to be on the safe side I would get her checked over by the vet, especially as she is mainly an outdoor cat.

Did you give her a worming tablet or use Spot on treatment last night?? I ask because sometimes a worm tablet can cause some upset/discomfort for a while after administration ........ my Cassie was often withdrawn when I used the tablet form. That could explain any immediate lethargy.

Please keep us informed how she is...

angieh
03-04-2010, 10:10 AM
As you mention her breathing Phil, I would suspect thyroid. It happened to my cat Smudge some years ago - she was an outdoor girl too and I noticed her laboured breathing too late. I do hope you can get her to a vet soon - it is treatable if caught in time. Good luck to you and Bramble. That is such a lovely picture btw.

Phil
03-04-2010, 06:59 PM
She wasn't about when we got up this morning. I saw her this afternoon running accross the back garden which compared to last night was great to see but not much help for me to catch her.

She came in at tea time tonight and seemed a million times better. Whilst I still maintain she's lost weight her breathing is normal and she's as lively as ever.

It was mentioned that they can go a bit funny after a worming pill (rather than spot on treatment). As it was yesterday that I gave her the dose I'm wondering if that's what had knocked her off colour.

Anyway - she's had her tea (and a sausage) and seems normal enough just now. In terms of her weight I'll continue to supervise feeding to ensure she's getting all she needs and see how things go over the weekend.

Mags
03-04-2010, 07:04 PM
I'm glad she's feeling better now, Phil :)

angieh
03-04-2010, 07:43 PM
Phew........ that's a relief Phil. Hope she continues to improve.

dandysmom
03-04-2010, 09:32 PM
Glad she's perkier today, hope she puts some of that lost weight back on, though.

Shelley123
03-04-2010, 09:40 PM
Bramble is a very pretty cat, i'm sorry to hear she's off colour. Like angie i thought of an over active thyroid, my cat, Tom has recently been diagnosed, he eats well, in fact was always hungry but lost weight, his breathing was also quite rapid.
Like people have said a trip to the vets would probs be a good idea.

Phil
04-04-2010, 03:49 AM
I'm not glossing over it but she seems OK. She's had some food just now (very late) so I'm happy to go to bed knowing that she's quite happy.

aliwin
04-04-2010, 09:23 AM
Glad she seems better Phil, do check that weight loss when you get the chance though, as when Maxi had kidney failure she was too far gone to be saved. Let us know how she gets on, she's a real beauty. :D

farthing
04-04-2010, 04:21 PM
I have to agree and say she needs to see a vet, many things can cause weight loss in an older cat, but one of the most common is hyperthyroid- out of 10 cats I have over 10, 6 are hyperthyroid!
Untreated this can lead to kidney failure, high blood pressure and even more seriously heart failure.
Even if it isn't this, it could be diabetes or kidney failure, all of which needs to be treated by a vet.

Phil
13-04-2010, 12:12 AM
Despite perking up loads at the time of my last post - she's been around the back of the house over the last 24 hrs and I'd say she's deteriorated a lot.

Managed to get her into the house but apart from 2 or 3 laps of water and milk she's very thin and not eating.

I'll take her to my vet tomorrow afternoon and see what she says but at the risk of sounding rather callous I don't think I want to get into any heavy treatment.

She's nice and cozy lying on a jumper just now but not doing much other than tiny meows. As much as I love her we don't really see that much of her and I'd be fibbing if I said money wasn't the issue but she's such a free spirit and isn't really 'one of the family'.

Sometimes it's easier when you're prepared to do everything you can for a pet as you're guided by your vet but when you're not prepared to do everything you can - it's a far more difficult call.

Feeling a bit sad but I'll keep you posted.

dandysmom
13-04-2010, 01:44 AM
Despite perking up loads at the time of my last post - she's been around the back of the house over the last 24 hrs and I'd say she's deteriorated a lot.

Managed to get her into the house but apart from 2 or 3 laps of water and milk she's very thin and not eating.

I'll take her to my vet tomorrow afternoon and see what she says but at the risk of sounding rather callous I don't think I want to get into any heavy treatment.

She's nice and cozy lying on a jumper just now but not doing much other than tiny meows. As much as I love her we don't really see that much of her and I'd be fibbing if I said money wasn't the issue but she's such a free spirit and isn't really 'one of the family'.

Sometimes it's easier when you're prepared to do everything you can for a pet as you're guided by your vet but when you're not prepared to do everything you can - it's a far more difficult call.

Feeling a bit sad but I'll keep you posted.

I'm very sad to hear that, Phil. Your cat, your decision ,,,,, but......

Phil
13-04-2010, 02:20 AM

Sat up with her as long as I can...she's had a few spoons of milk and a cuddle - off to bed now whilst she's comfy.

I hate this but let's see what the morning brings.

Phil
13-04-2010, 08:34 AM

HI, Phil's wife here.
No sign of Bramble this morning so guess she's off out enjoying the world which is what she loves most.
I think at the end of the day our decision will be based on Brambles quality of life.
I know some people would do anything in their power to keep an animal going for as long as possible and if that meant medication/operations or whatever they'd do it. I on the other hand will base the decision on what I feel Bramble would want- she has always been a very independent, outdoor girl, she enjoys a stroke but doesn't like to be handled, going to the vet for regular checks stresses her out loads so the thought of putting her through the trauma of multiple vet visists and possible operations etc isn't an option for her (she'd hate it and I'd hate the thought that her last days were spent doing something that would upset her so much). Giving her any sort of medication would also be traumatic for her (it's hard enough to give her wormer etc and she hates it).

We will take advice from the vet obviously, but if it is time to let her go then we'll do it in as peaceful and dignified a way as we can for her, rather than prolonging her life in a way that she would find distressing.

Bramble's life has been filled with outdoors fun, hunting, playing, sunbathing and doing all the things a cat should. Human contact has always been on her terms. To intervene too much at this stage would, in my opinion, not be what she'd want and would have a serious impact on her quality of life.

Elaine
13-04-2010, 09:18 AM
Sorry I missed thios thread before. I would agree with the others about a vet check, if only to know what is wrong. Your decision to treat or not is up to you but I personally feel it's better to know what the matter is and what the options are before making such decisions.
It's not always easy to treat a cat who is as aloof as Bramble and obviously stress would play a big part to both her wellbeing annd quality of life.
All the best to Bramble xxx

Phoenix
13-04-2010, 08:01 PM
If it were up to me, I'd have got her to the vet straight away about the weight loss.

yola
13-04-2010, 10:11 PM
Absolutely no judgement here . . . each cat is different and will react differently to intervention as you say. You know Brambles best of all - even though she's led her own life.

I hope that a result is arrived at that is in the best interest of Bramble - whatever than happens to be.

angieh
13-04-2010, 10:36 PM
Bramble reminds me so much of my dear Smudge and I hate to say but I think she's going the same way. I do appreciate what you say about treating any condition or deciding not to but the longer it's left the more distressed your Bramble may well become. I would urge you to seek veterinary advise before making those sorts of decisions.

Phil
13-04-2010, 11:27 PM
Thanks for all the feedback folks.

I had the cat box all ready for the trip to the vet today to see what advice she could give us regarding Bramble but she shot off before I could get her.

She came back tonight about 1/2 an hour ago and has had a little meat and water.

I'll try to catch her again tomorrow so fingers crossed I may have some news (hopefully good) by tomorrow evening.

Phil
14-04-2010, 01:47 PM
Managed to catch her at 6:00am this morning and get her to the vet.

She's had an examination and whilst the outlook isn't great she has been given a lot of fluids to help with her the dehydration and she's been having 'recovery' food which mixed with a little water she's eating albeit spoon / syringe fed.

The objective this morning and throughout today is to give her a bit of a boost to see if she picks up at all.

She thinks her kidneys are the route of the problem and we've an appointment again at 5:00pm when the vet will advice us on what she feels is the best action to take.

angieh
14-04-2010, 02:13 PM
I'm so glad you've got Bramble to the vet Phil. I hope you can have a good chat with the vet later on.

dandysmom
14-04-2010, 04:02 PM
Now you'll know what to expect. I hope it will be good news; glad she was seen.

Phil
14-04-2010, 04:16 PM
She's still just lying doing nothing and isn't really getting the food down. Her temperature is low, she's dehydrated (although the fluids may help that) and she's not really managing on her legs. I've taken a few photographs of her this afternnon wrapped in her towel and at just 2Kg she's a poor sight.

I think I know where this is going and the vet was hinting at it earlier toady but we'll see.

I have that horrible sick feeling in the pit of my stomach and I hate trying to explain to Hannah what's going on.

angieh
14-04-2010, 04:22 PM
Oh I'm so sorry Phil - it doesn't sound hopeful. Poor Bramble - a gentle cuddle to a very pretty girl from me.

dandysmom
14-04-2010, 04:34 PM
Yes, doesn't sound good; not very hopeful at all....:(

calismum
14-04-2010, 06:06 PM
I do feel for you - it is hard when a loved cat is so unwell. I am sure you will do what is right for her. ((hugs))

aliwin
14-04-2010, 08:12 PM
Phil, just read your sad news on the other side. Bramble went with dignity and enjoying life to The spot you have chosen for her is just lovely.

Happy hunting at the bridge Bramble :( xxx

Phil
14-04-2010, 08:20 PM
Phil, just read your sad news on the other side. Bramble went with dignity and enjoying life to The spot you have chosen for her is just lovely.

Happy hunting at the bridge Bramble :( xxx

Thankyou.

As hard as it was - I like to think that despite keeping herself to herself for the last couple of days she's probably been curled up outside in the sunshine.

angieh
14-04-2010, 08:29 PM
So sorry Phil. My Smudge's ashes were put to rest in her favourite place in the garden. Her memorial slate gets covered in ferns in the Summer, just like she used to.

Mags
14-04-2010, 08:42 PM
So sorry, Phil ....:(

dandysmom
14-04-2010, 09:01 PM
I am so so sorry. RIP, dear Bramble .....

Purdy
15-04-2010, 02:07 PM
My cat was once very ill like that after a worming tablet, couldnt stand late one night, but fine next morning