PDA

View Full Version : Fostering

andtiggertoo
02-04-2010, 09:51 AM
I've asked this question on a couple of other forums but I'm really interested in everyone's experiences.

We lost one of our cats last week and although I'd love to fill the house with permanent felines again, I'm worried that I would just be looking for another Fred and the last thing I would want to do is end up resenting another cat who, through no fault of its own, wasn't him.

So, we wondered about fostering. I'm not into litters of kittens particularly, but we have a large spare room that could quite easily be made available to felines waiting to be homed.

I'd be really grateful for anyone's experience, advice, feelings, whatever about fostering. For example, I know sometimes it's hard to hand them back, and I know there must be 'difficult' cats that come in - but what has been your experience.

angieh
02-04-2010, 10:46 AM
That's a really nice thought and I can see the reasoning. Of course you will never "replace" Fred, and when the time is right another cat will make his or her own place in your heart.

Sorry I can't help re fostering as I have never done it. Good luck though - there are a few members here who have done or still do, so I hope you'll get the advice you need.

dandysmom
02-04-2010, 04:22 PM
I've never fostered; I know I'd want to keep them all and become a mad cat lady! I changed breeds when I lost my Siamese, as I was afraid, as you said, that I'd be expecting the new cat to be the same.

Hope our fosterers will be along soon to offer their advice.

farthing
02-04-2010, 06:19 PM
We've fostered quite a few cats, and found it hard to hand them on to the next owner- especially the more difficult ones. The hard bit is the new owners often don't want to keep in touch ( which is fair enough) but you always wonder if they will be OK.

I don't understand when people say they worry about taking on another animal because they feel they will compare it to the last. We don't do it with friends do we, we take them as the individuals they are, and animals are the same.:D

dandysmom
02-04-2010, 08:05 PM
We've fostered quite a few cats, and found it hard to hand them on to the next owner- especially the more difficult ones. The hard bit is the new owners often don't want to keep in touch ( which is fair enough) but you always wonder if they will be OK.

I don't understand when people say they worry about taking on another animal because they feel they will compare it to the last. We don't do it with friends do we, we take them as the individuals they are, and animals are the same.:D

I was quite young when I thought that, farthing; no longer do. Just mentioned it to show I'd been there, done that.

farthing
02-04-2010, 09:02 PM
Sorry, it wasn't meant as a criticism, lots of people say this. I just wanted to show another way of looking at things.:D

dandysmom
02-04-2010, 09:30 PM
It wasn't taken as a criticism at all, farthing! I didn't know any better back then about a lot of things, backyard breeders, pet store kittens, etc!

farthing
02-04-2010, 09:36 PM
Its funny isn't it, you are never sure whether you write things that can be taken the wrong way- you become paranoid.:D

alexgirl73
02-04-2010, 11:36 PM
I've been a fosterer for almost 3 years now. And I love it :) I look on myself as an 'auntie' :lol: and that the cats are only here for a short time. There is always one or two who come through each year that you really want to keep, but head has always over ruled heart so far (fingers crossed it stays that way lol). It is very rewarding, although hard work, but when you see a cat go off to a new home it brings a smile to your face :)