PDA

View Full Version : Hippus been spayed but....

HIPPUS' MUM
29-03-2010, 10:15 PM
Right Hippus was spayed last thursday everything went fine, she had the lampshade on, boy that was fun getting it on we had to cover her with a towel in the vets to get it on. Sat she had her post op check and needed an injection for a temp but other than that shes been fine, i took her lampshade off sat lunch time and she hadnt bothered at all with her stitches. Now today shes been fine again hasnt touched them well that was untill she came down stairs 10mins ago without her stitches in. It looks ok not bleeding or anything looks closed as much as it was with the 2 stitches in this morning but shes not due back at the vets untill sat for them to be removed. What am i best doing???
Shes next to me now and it looks like its healing well.

Mags
29-03-2010, 10:18 PM
I would phone the vet tomorrow and explain what has happened and be guided by them ....... they may just want to see her to make sure everything is ok with her.

HIPPUS' MUM
29-03-2010, 10:20 PM
Right thanks, thats what i was thinking but wasnt sure, if it opens in the night i will call them right away, i cant get the lampshade back on her i need another set of hands to help cos shes frightend of it.

angieh
29-03-2010, 10:39 PM
I'd also advise giving the vet a call tomorrow to see what they advise. It's a while to go until next Saturday if I understand right that's when the stitches were due out.

Mags
29-03-2010, 10:45 PM
It would be a good idea if you could get the collar back on her, it would save her doing any further damage like chewing at the wound in the night.

HIPPUS' MUM
29-03-2010, 10:52 PM
hmm thats what im just thinking too, shes not bothering at all with it but she must of been at some point this eve for her stitches to be out now, i will try in a bit but shes being locked in the kitchen again tonight so she cant get into any trouble so can pin her in a room to do it.

Mags
29-03-2010, 10:57 PM
hmm thats what im just thinking too, shes not bothering at all with it but she must of been at some point this eve for her stitches to be out now, i will try in a bit but shes being locked in the kitchen again tonight so she cant get into any trouble so can pin her in a room to do it.
Good luck .......catch her when she's sleepy ;) :lol:

HIPPUS' MUM
30-03-2010, 12:09 AM
OUCH i am now covered in scratches that are bleeding silly cat attacked me with her feet, i pinned her in a towel but she still got me shes only little so not much to get hold of shes now in the bedroom with me looking very upset with me, i think i will call vets at 8am and let them fight her if they want to try, it took 3 of them to get the lampshade on the other day lol

dandysmom
30-03-2010, 02:13 AM
Yes, give the vet a call early; they may want to see her.before Saturday. If she's not worrying the incision and if it's not inflamed, bleeding or oozing I suspect it'd be OK to wait till morning. They do so hate those lampshade collars! Let us know what happens, please.

Aquatic
30-03-2010, 12:09 PM
oh bless her. I would ring the vets.
My dog hated his collar because it was so big and whenever he tried to get through the front door he would always bump into things :-D

yola
30-03-2010, 12:34 PM
How's Hippus? I suspect if the wound is holding it will continue to do so, but hopefully you've had a chance to chat with the vet by now and have got some advice off them.

pookyandjo
30-03-2010, 02:13 PM
hope that Hippus is doing ok... the stitches that she's removed would obviously be the external ones... there would more than likely be some internal ones as well which would be self dissolving...im sure that if the external suture line is nice and clean... ie not moist, bloody or inflamed the vet will say she's fine

Kay
30-03-2010, 11:31 PM
I would definitely check with your vets as the stitches usually have to be in for 10 days.

They do hate the dreaded lampshade don't they. Phoebe has just had hers off after three weeks. She is still sulking!!!

HIPPUS' MUM
02-04-2010, 12:01 PM
This cat is going to be the death of me im sure,

Right i called the vets and explained what had happened (just pulled them out basicly) they said as long as its healing non of it is open, wet, bloody etc and not red then she should be ok to leave but still take her on sat "remove stitches date haha" so they can check her any probs take back sooner.
Well so far so good its all healed perfect so soon.
BUT how long before she can go out, only reason im asking now is my son (4yr old) ran out the front door and didnt close it behind him (there was a duck on the front so he had to feed it lol) next thing i know baby shouting no door and the cat is out. Ive tried to get her back in but she wont let me get close enough to her, shes been around the back of the house and into the garden she looked at the window but as soon as she came in the back door she ran again. Now i cant find her. Shes never been out while we have lived here only when she escaped b4 her op.
Will she be ok or should i be out searching for her??? We have to go out at 1.30 im thinking of putting her bed and some food in the shed so she can stay in there if she comes home. Like i said this is the 1st time shes been out since op and only been out for an hour before her op.

Thanks everyone

Right the cat has just come back through the window, window now closed do i keep her in or is she ok to go out agian ?

dandysmom
02-04-2010, 04:00 PM
Wow, quite an episode! Glad she came back, I would definitely keep her in!

yola
02-04-2010, 04:00 PM
I'd keep her in just a little bit longer - just to make sure everything is healing as it should. That way you can be 100% certain that when she goes out nothing untoward will happen.

Mags
02-04-2010, 04:06 PM
I would definitely keep her in until you get the all clear from the vet .......

HIPPUS' MUM
02-04-2010, 10:30 PM
Thanks, when she came back in she did everything poss to get out again even clawing at the window in the kitchen (front of house) i have just got home usualy she will move from the frontdoor as we come in cos baby will chase her but no not tonight she tried to get out again, even throwing the keys towards her to make her move away so i could get in didnt work (not aimed at her just so would bang on floor) but thats it untill tomorrow.

Here was me thinking cats were easier than dogs LOL

dandysmom
02-04-2010, 10:42 PM
She really wants out! Good luck keeping her in.....

HIPPUS' MUM
02-04-2010, 10:51 PM
Yes she does but at least she will come back, i think the problem is since i have had her (Aug) she hasnt been out apart from when she escapes and before she found me she was a cat to be out all the time hence why she got pregnant with last owners.

Oh her character has changed since her op, is this normal??? Shes even more friendly and likes cuddles more she is sat on my knee purring at me im not even touching her hahaha

Aquatic
02-04-2010, 11:05 PM
:lol: Bless her. Sounds like she really wants to go outside. When Felix goes outside it's normally at night so then we have to get him in with some nice food but if that doesn't work then I'm out there in the cold running around after a cat like a mad woman. :-D But thankfully most of the time he takes the food and come's inside like a good boy. I've only ever had to go outside to get him about once. I think... :lol:

Yes her character changing is normal :lol: I was like that when we had Lily spayed she came back and would sit on my lap for hours and purr really loud and then wake me up in the morning with a loud meow. :-D I miss waking up with her face looking at me with a Feed me expression on it :-D:D

HIPPUS' MUM
03-04-2010, 09:43 AM
I have just been to the vets and saw a nurse she was shocked at how quick shes healed up, and she can go out when ever she wants from now. Great, im keeping her in for for a couple of hours so she can have her breakfast then shes free to go for a wonder. I will kill her if she brings mice back lol

angieh
03-04-2010, 10:12 AM
Morning Hippus' Mum - I am so glad to see that Hippus is fine and been given a clean bill of health. What a relief for you!

My Kizzy has had a mouse this morning, but I suspect the poor thing was already dead - looked like full rigor mortis to me. Probably died of cold.

HIPPUS' MUM
03-04-2010, 10:41 AM
My Kizzy has had a mouse this morning, but I suspect the poor thing was already dead - looked like full rigor mortis to me. Probably died of cold.

OWWWW YUK there is no way i would let her back into the house with anything in her mouth or by her feet i couldnt touch it to get it back out of the house.

Sarah

dandysmom
03-04-2010, 04:11 PM
Glad to hear the news! And better a dead mouse than a live one ......

angieh
03-04-2010, 05:40 PM
Oh definitely - by the time I'd asked OH to go and get rid of it (see, I'm not that brave either!) it had vanished!

dandysmom
03-04-2010, 08:51 PM
LOL, when you live alone you have to dispose of your own mice ... and stomp your own spiders, too, aaaargh!!