PDA

View Full Version : What does your cat/s meow sound like?

Phoenix
26-03-2010, 08:47 PM
Dylan's meow goes WOOOOOW when he wants food, MRAAOW when he wants attention and MEOW when he just wants to chat :lol:

angieh
26-03-2010, 08:57 PM
Kizzy has never miaowed! She makes a very tiny little squeak when she spies a birdie though the window, but she chirrrups quite a lot, mainly as a greeting. That sounds like "prrrrrrp".

Pip has a larger vocal range. He used to do a real "miaoooow" when he was a kitten, but does that less so now. He makes sort of "grp" and grf" noises when he is playing, so I take it he's laughing!

Pip gets an A for purring, Kizzy an A++.

maxiesmum
26-03-2010, 09:08 PM
Max has chirrups and squeaks for me in the morning and a !rowwwwor! type moan when he's at the window askin to come in. I never actually heard him 'meaow' properly

dandysmom
26-03-2010, 09:47 PM
Leia has a rather soft little MEW when she wants food, a PRRRP sort of greeting noise and a little MRRR when she responds to "Where's Leia?". She specializes in the silent miaow!

Johelian
27-03-2010, 12:48 AM
Frazier has a rumbling sort of meow usually, like hes rolling it in his throat. He doesnt "do" normal meows! ;) Other than that he makes a lot of grumbly, rumbly sounds. The other other time I have heard him make a different sound is just as hes about to launch a play attack on one of his buddies, in which case its a really whingy drawn out meow!

Reese has a very plaintive meow that makes him sound like the world has set upon him. He has had this since a baby, when he yowled all the way back home in the car. Its quite heartbreaking to hear sometimes! He usually does this when hes just come into the house and wants reassurance that there is someone around. If he sees you he will run up to you with a delighted, cheery, trilling meow. If you call him he makes a purring trill, quite often followed up by a meow. He doesnt make any other sounds apart from meows and purring. He meows a lot!

Tiny Noah has an equally tiny meow, barely audible at times. Sometimes no sound even comes out, particularly if he is tired! Its almost more of a last-protest meow, even though he knows that he has no choice in the matter. If he gets upset (he got a little upset on the drive home before setting down and going to sleep) he makes a "pew" spacegun kind of sound. Reese did the same when he was this age. His tiny, thin, voiceless meow is soooo adorable. His purr on the other hand rocks the house! He is louder than any of the other cats, and he purrs at almost anything (even when he is having his claws inspected/being beaten up by Reese).

My firs cat, Fred (RIP), almost never made any sounds.

jan
27-03-2010, 12:55 AM
Funny how they are all so different! Max at nearly 18 does nt meow so much now, but its still loud when he does and quite piercing! Tess really does moew nowadays, over and over and over until she gets her way but then she is almost 16 and can be forgiven. Felix for all his size (5 and a half kg) has the most girly kitteny meow I have ever heard! Its like a kitten s meow bless him. And Maisie cannot meow at all, she hoots - its really strange! Almost like she s blowing a little trumpet - or she goes brrrr! in a very endearing way. But she doesnt meow and that a first for one of my cats! Jan x

Magpye
27-03-2010, 05:01 AM
My cat Bramble was very vocal and usually talked to me in something that sounded like "Mow Mow Mow Mow" In different little pitches and lengths. Very cute! Our other cat Podge used to make a funny little broken chirp that sounded like 'Mwwwah ah' whenever he wanted something but barely spoke other than that! Funny little things are kitties :-D

Johelian
27-03-2010, 10:50 AM
Lol, I was in the vets once and someone had a cat in its carrier - I swear that that cat sounded like a person saying "Meow!" in a very grumpy voice! It didnt sound like a cat at all.

dandysmom
27-03-2010, 04:24 PM
Dandy, my Pura boy, had a very odd little raspy meow; he sounded as if he needed to be oiled!

Aquatic
27-03-2010, 08:59 PM
In the morning Felix has a very naggy kind of meow in the morning when he's trying to wake me up because he's asks for food then when I go downstairs I always go to toilet first and he just sits there while i'm on the toilet meowing then looking at the kitchen and at me.
Lily used be so vocal when she was outside and I called her she would go prrrrrrrrrrrrrrrp! really loud. and when she was waking me up she would do that then purr and lie down on my stomach

random
27-03-2010, 09:36 PM
All very different meows as are all the cats I have had. I can recognise who it is by their meow without seeing them, i'd even go as far as to say i'd be prepared to put my money where my mouth is.

I will try and describe their 'normal' (most commonly used) meows, they obviously use different ones for different moods or what they want but that would take to long to go into! :shock:

Princess has a very feminine and high pitched "meeeeeooow".
Kiara has a weird one, it's almost like a human saying "MOWWW". :lol:
Tucker has quite a high pitched and chiripy one.
Anakin is the quietest, his is quiet faint and medium pitched.
Colin's is another odd one, he almost sounds as if he is saying hello and then he goes from his normal meow, which is similar to Anakin's but louder.
Vitaani's is quite low pitched, short and gruff.

PoshPuss
27-03-2010, 09:39 PM
Posh is a vocal diva with her own soprano vocab.
Mau-mau, is come on, get up!
Aam, aaam is food/ham plaese.
yawwww, is hurry up I'm waiting.

But soft , sexy prrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, is I'm full, warm and loved. Nice ! :D

Phoenix
11-05-2010, 01:02 PM
Dylan's got a new meow for out :lol:

It's OUUUU :lol: (he did it just now)

dandysmom
11-05-2010, 03:54 PM
That's familiar, Sultan said OUUUU too! Only at the door, very obvious what he wanted.

MrsH
11-05-2010, 04:09 PM
Jason tends to "Mwaaw" most of the time, Molly "eeeks" unless she's realised that it's bedtime and her brother is still out, then it's a panicky/angry "Raaaaaaar" just as we're trying to get to sleep! Neither of them do the "prrrrp" that other cats we've had used to do, I miss that!

Tink
11-05-2010, 07:53 PM
Kuan Yin hardly talks and when she does it is a very high pitch pathetic sounding Maooo? which usually means she is asking for something.
Hestia on the other hand talks a lot and will prance a round saying Mau-ohhhhhhhhh long and drawn out. K thinks she is saying Helloooooooooooo? and he mimics it back :lol:

HappyKatz
11-05-2010, 08:40 PM
Sliver has extended meows. Meooooooooowwww with a little raspy afterwards.
Snowball sounds like an old grandpa kitty. He has a low raspy meow.
Sage has a loud meow. Almost like a Gow. He loves to meow.
Sushie is noisy. Her meow sounds like Raah. She loves to do many of those in a row when she gets excited.
Spooky is a quiet girl. She meows very softly.
Spici has the highest pitch kitty meow. She lets you know shes around.
Shilo has a very whiny meow. Like pleeeeasssee give me your human food!
Sadees meows become more extended when she wants something, like to go outside.
Sasha has such cute meows. Sounds like Meo without the W.

niki71uk
11-05-2010, 09:34 PM
toby whines/moans and screeches

cass hardly cries,but when she does its a squeak.tho she does make prrrrpp noises at nite when she jumps on my bed,or wants attention,but only at nite when im in bed :lol: