PDA

View Full Version : Sooooo excited, maybe adopting pretty soon

PoshPuss
25-03-2010, 07:04 PM
Posh may be getting a new friend :D
A lady who cares for Ceri has a friend with a problem, another friend is relocating to Dubai and her tabby was being taken by another family but at the last minute they let her down. The carer's friend took in the poor cat, neutered she-cat, but as she has an 18 month old baby who has a fascination for litter trays :shock: she is reluctant to keep her.
We'd considered another 'little pal' for Posh after Bronnie died but then Ceri had the stroke and so on ...
Seems divine intervention has struck again. will have to see how the 2 wil mix it but I have good reassurances that the new tabby Mollie/Molly/Moli (? sp) is a gentle soul used to other cats.
Fingers x'd for me, i'll be in touch.
love Nette x

Aquatic
25-03-2010, 07:07 PM
Oh that is such good news :-D
Fingers and paws crossed here that they'll get in touch with you.
I've always wanted to go to Dubai <- Sorry a bit random :lol:

Mags
25-03-2010, 07:19 PM
That's great news, Nette ......I'm sure Posh would welcome a new friend now.

I hope it all works out for you and you'll have more news for us soon.:)

Thinking of you, I hope Ceri's recovery is progressing favourably ....x

PoshPuss
25-03-2010, 07:24 PM
thanks Mags, Posh is going to have her little flat nose knocked out of joint for a few days I'm sure , :lol:

Ceri is making good progress, its going to take time to get all the services co-ordinated so I can go back to work but for now i'm full time carer and its been very tiring.

Still waiting for new puss to arrive...

angieh
25-03-2010, 07:31 PM
What wonderful news PP. Do hope your new arrival fits in well. Glad to hear Ceri is making progress. I do know how tiring being a full time carer can be - somehow it's more tiring than going out to work because there is no escape.

dandysmom
25-03-2010, 08:27 PM
Great news, PP! I hope the new girl fits in well and Posh's nose won't be out of joint too long. Aren't Persians sort of laid back ...? Glad to hear Ceri's coming along well.

We shall want pics, you know!

Moli
25-03-2010, 09:13 PM
Brilliant news, sure Posh will be delighted to have a playmate...

yola
25-03-2010, 09:21 PM
Super news! Persians will adjust/not adjust much like any other cat. I don't think they are any less hostile or hospitable than any other breed as long as you manage intros properly.

I'm happy to hear Ceri's making progress.

PoshPuss
25-03-2010, 10:20 PM
Well, lots of hissing and yowling and one scrap so far, Posh is def. stamping her feet. Molly is 8 years old, a bit more streetwise i think but terrified... another house another lot of smells etc. Anyone with tips for me on introducing her in , please message me. x

dandysmom
25-03-2010, 11:03 PM
Oh dear! Can you put Molly in a separate room for now with her own tray, food, etc? When I got Patches she hid in the basement for three days with the above. It was her choice as Misty took great exception to her --- yowling, hissing, etc. No actual fight.
She came up after three days by herself, and Misty had calmed down by then; they were never friends, however. Give Posh a lot of fuss to reassure her; let them get used to one another's scent.

Hope someone with more than my limited experience will come on ....

PoshPuss
26-03-2010, 02:39 AM
Oh dear. Seems I have gone about this all wrong. I'm up at half past one in the morning coz Posh is on the prowl. I didn't plan the intro well. Molly is now stuck on top if the kitchen cupboard, Posh not giving up her room to her, has been scratching the doors and wanting to get in there.
No more scraps tho, will have to get organised in the morning and rescue poor molly and give her free run of the utility room for now. Hope the house doesn't suffer too much!

dandysmom
26-03-2010, 02:53 AM
Off to a rough start, but I think (hope) it will sort itself out given time. Give us an update in the morning ........

pookyandjo
26-03-2010, 05:16 AM
Good that Posh is getting a playmate... bad that she's not as appreciative as she should be!.. dont forget to give Molly a rub down with a dry face cloth and then do the same with Posh... so they swap scents...I found that George was more accepting of Harry when he had some of her scent on him.. good luck!

yola
26-03-2010, 12:47 PM
Oh dear. Looks like Posh has taken over the mantle of Catsey Diva ;)
Have patience, things will iron themselves out, and the hissing/spitting will gradually reduce. You just have to keep a watchful eye that neither cat hurts the other. As Eileen said, they might never get to be best friends but they will probably end up tollerating each other well enough.

angieh
26-03-2010, 02:50 PM
Sorry it's a bit traumatic PP. Jo's suggestion of the scent swop is good and keeping them physically apart sounds wise too. I'm not sure whether them being able to see each other is a good idea or not. I know it's good for chickens!!!

Pip had his crate, so he was safe in case Kizzy decided she didn't like him, but they could see each other and were soon nose to nose. Different situation of course with a kitten. Hope it all goes well. Fingers crossed.

PoshPuss
26-03-2010, 03:46 PM
Poor old Molly has been so scared , she's on the kitchen cabinet about 6" fron the ceiling, you can just see the tips of her ears. She's not eaten/drunk or used her tray. Posh is grooming herself and I have passed a cloth over her that Molly's wee had been on.
There may be a chance that Helen's mum can take her in so in that case Posh can have her house back.
Maybe she is such a princess that she will not share my affections. :(

Moli
26-03-2010, 09:43 PM
Put Molly into a seperate room, to allow her time to settle in....open up the rest of the house gradually to her.sense swopping is a good idea....swop their bed around....food bowls on either side of the door is a good idea as well, that way the door seperates them, but they can smell each other, lots of rescue remedy and feliway....once Molly starts feeling more secure, take Molly out and put Posh into the room, so they can once again smell each other....

Advice from Lainey, via the telephone....she wishes you all the best..

PoshPuss
27-03-2010, 08:53 AM
Molly has stayed up out of the way, on the cupboard. POsh has forgotten she's there by the look of things. Molly has had food and water up there. During the night, Posh was in with us and Molly had free run of the kitchen&utility room and used her tray. :) Back up on the cupboard now out of harms way and Posh has not even noticed! even used the litter tray Molly used (I took the solids out!)

I think Molly needs a 1 cat only home though, she's 8 years old and needs a quiet life. The princess here is not going to be the sort to make friends, she's far too 'human' to lower herself. :lol:

Perhaps I was too quick to think I could be Molly's saviour and I have a lot on my plate with Ceri's rehab at the mo.
Will keep you updated but please don't be cross with me if Molly doesn't stay, I may have bitten off more than I could chew. Helen's mum will be contacting me later today to see how things are going.

yola
27-03-2010, 10:15 AM
No-one will be cross with you Nette - don't be soft!

Myshka stayed behind the piano for a day or two here before he ventured out; Fifi was quite unhappy about him being here and he obviously picked up on the vibe. Maybe after a day or two things will calm down?

Elaine
27-03-2010, 12:28 PM
No one will be cross. I am surprised the rescue didnt advise on introductions as they are not always smooth and as you say, some cats are better as only cats.
Took me 6 months to introduce Bernie to the Diva.
http://www.our-happy-cat.com/introducing-cats.html
http://www.messybeast.com/first-impressions.htm

PoshPuss
27-03-2010, 05:12 PM
Molly has gone back to her old family I'm afraid. She was collected by her owner's mum with a chance of being homed with an elderly lady with no cat at the moment. I think this is a better option for Molly and Posh, both.
Molly had this terrified look on her all the time she was here, I sensed she wasn't happy being a second cat, so best thing really.
Maybe Posh is meant to be an only child :)
Although, Molly came to me quickly and without much chance for me to prepare the ground etc for a new cat. It was a spur of the moment decision and I regret my rashness.

Elaine, she wasn't a formal rescue, more friend of a friend business, some thing else which was regrettable as I'm sure if i'd gone to CP I'd have been better advised. But thank you all for your help. I did try out your tips.

dandysmom
27-03-2010, 08:03 PM
Sorry it didn't work out; some cats are simply better at being the only cat.

angieh
27-03-2010, 09:49 PM
Sorry it didn't work out PP - you were so excited about having another pusscat, but you've done the best thing for Molly I suspect and more importantly really, for you, Ceri and Posh.