PDA

View Full Version : Can some characteristics be related to coat colour?

angieh
22-03-2010, 06:55 PM
Is there any basis for saying "naughty tortie" etc.? Are tabbies generally laid-back and friendly, or do ginger and white cats behave more like little dogs?

What characteristics would you link with a particular coloured coat ...... or do you think it's all just pot luck?

calismum
22-03-2010, 07:07 PM
Don't know if it is true or not. I do think a lot is due to upbringing and gender. But here is my list of colours owned and what I found:-

Solid Black - 1xmale, 1xfemale - laid back, friendly
Orange/White - male - affectionate, like going for walks, talkative
Tortie - 2xfemale - nervous, independent
Tortie and white - 2x female - friendly, inquisitive, talkative, curious
Black/White - male - friendly, lapcat
Brown Tabby - female - bad tempered, wary of strangers, (had a v bad start in life so maybe not typical)
Silver Tabby - male - Very laid back, friendly, loved everyone and everything.

So no idea if that fits into the general descriptors or not. What are other peoples experiences?

tabsie
22-03-2010, 07:25 PM
not sure, a lady that I know that has a cat rescue says she always has trouble with cats that have any ginger in them wanting to be boss. I can only say good things about my tabbys, they have always been perfect cats, but shy with strangers. I did have a black and white girl who was very independant but not at all shy, and liked being outside alot.

angieh
22-03-2010, 07:27 PM
Yes, my B&W loved the outdoors. She was very independent and only wanted to be stroked on her terms. Was never a lap cat, but was never aggressive.

John
22-03-2010, 07:29 PM
White Torty.. female..independant. new what she wanted and how to boss me around. what I would call a typical female. lolo..
Ginger and White male..frendly . talkative.and would stand up to the small Staffy type dog next door..

tabsie
22-03-2010, 08:15 PM
Yes, my B&W loved the outdoors. She was very independent and only wanted to be stroked on her terms. Was never a lap cat, but was never aggressive.

Sounds just like my black and white!

dandysmom
22-03-2010, 08:25 PM
My brindled tortie was independent, not a big lap cat and didn't usually sleep with me, but she was definitely not "naughty". I've had two dilute torbies, both of whom were very placid, laid back and slightly lazy cats

Phoenix
22-03-2010, 08:44 PM
My grey and white (Dylan) is independant but loves being cuddled and snuggling up to anyone who'll stay still for long enough :D

Tortie Beauty was friendly but quite shy (didn't trust strangers)

dandysmom
22-03-2010, 08:47 PM
Oh yes, forgot to say my tortie was also shy with strangers,

angieh
22-03-2010, 10:35 PM
Kizzy, my little torbie is a sweet gentle natured girl. I trust her completely. She is very affectionate but still rather shy with strangers (not a bad thing). She loves comfort and sleeping but also likes to be outside on a nice day. She doesn't seem to mind going out in the rain however and will come in absolutely soaked!

Pip is a little ginger and white boy - 9 months old. He is cheeky, playful but really quite gentle. He loves to be with us and follows us around. He also likes to be in the sink, to play with water and to drink from the tap. He is not as vocal now as he used to be but does seem to make lots of little grunts and growls. He is huge fun and makes us smile.

Merlin was a dark tabby boy. He lived until he was 23.5 and was my first cat. He was grumpy and used to take bites out of people for no apparent reason. He was a brave soldier and calmed down a lot when he was older. I used to carry him around and show him the sights out of the windows and talk to him a lot. He always sat on my lap and used to perch on my hip when I was asleep. He really was my cat - and would always come running to greet me when I came home from work.

Smudge, my B&W girl, as I said above was a very independent character, she didn't have a mean bone in her although she was not at all cuddly. She did used to sit on my desk in the office in the evening and wrap her claws around my finger - like holding hands really. She was much happier to be outside except in bad weather. She wasn't at all comfortable with strangers and would run away and hide.

That's the total of my experience to date!