PDA

View Full Version : Poor little thing

farthing
20-03-2010, 03:53 PM
I've just spoken to my sister, her daughter found a cat in the road and took it home because she was so concerned. The poor thing is emaciated and dehydrated, she called the SSPCA who took him to a vet, my sister insisted she took it to her vet because many vets would PTS immediately. They are trying to treat it, because it is a young cat, but it is very much touch and go, it won't/ can't eat- no microchip so the owner is unlikely to be found. It is so thin and dehydrated they can't even sex it, they think it is a neutered boy. She will phone me on Monday to let me know how things go, but at least it is being cared for just now and if it does die it will be warm and comfortable.:cry:

EmmaG
20-03-2010, 04:22 PM
awww poor little thing, I hope it is at least comfortable.

dandysmom
20-03-2010, 04:27 PM
That is so sad; hope the little fellow will pull thru and find a happy home.

farthing
20-03-2010, 04:38 PM
If he pulls through he will certainly have a home.

kado
20-03-2010, 08:45 PM
I hope he does pull though. Well done too your daughter for helping this poor little mite

JBalways2000
21-03-2010, 10:46 PM
Any news on this little guy? i read this last night and it broke my heart the poor thing. So lucky that they were found by your sisters daughter, thank god for caring people. got fingers and toes crossed here.

farthing
21-03-2010, 11:04 PM
Any news on this little guy? i read this last night and it broke my heart the poor thing. So lucky that they were found by your sisters daughter, thank god for caring people. got fingers and toes crossed here.

i won't here anything until tomorrow afternoon, that is when my sister is calling th vet to find out if he has made it so far. I can't stop thinking about him either.:(

Moli
21-03-2010, 11:06 PM
Everything crossed for this poor baby....

JBalways2000
21-03-2010, 11:07 PM
Its good to know that he is so loved already even though he has only just arrived in all your lives-something that he may never have had if he hadnt been found. everything crossed here x

farthing
21-03-2010, 11:10 PM
The SSPCA officer said that if he isn't claimed he will have to go to the Dog and Cat's home but he isn't likely to be picked in the state he is in. My sister thinks that she will be offered him, if her husband says 'NO', she is going to say she has a home for him and he will come here to live.

Moli
21-03-2010, 11:13 PM
Bless you both for giving this little one a chance.....

farthing
21-03-2010, 11:23 PM
Bless you both for giving this little one a chance.....

Not really, its all up in the air at the moment and the wee guy has to survive in the first place.
Its so sad, we may also be taking in a bunny which was taken into our vets last week as a stray. It has a swollen eye and damage to its back- not sure if it is cutaneous myxi or wounds- but so far nobody has claimed it.

It is a hard hoping against hope they are ok, but not really getting set on them coming, just in case they don't make it.

kado
22-03-2010, 10:46 AM
You and your family are such caring people Farthing. Hope the cat and Bunny are ok

angieh
22-03-2010, 12:22 PM
Everything crossed for both wee mites.

Shelley123
22-03-2010, 02:43 PM
Just read the post, hope the little Cat makes it.

farthing
22-03-2010, 06:48 PM
Well, the cat is still alive and eating. The SSPCA officer thinks it an old cat, the vet doesn't- it looks like it might be coming here. The officer is ill at the moment but she is apparently happy from him to come to us. We just have to wait for her to contact my sister.

JBalways2000
22-03-2010, 07:49 PM
Well, the cat is still alive and eating. The SSPCA officer thinks it an old cat, the vet doesn't- it looks like it might be coming here. The officer is ill at the moment but she is apparently happy from him to come to us. We just have to wait for her to contact my sister.

Oh that is wonderful news! i have been keeping an eye on this thread all day for an update but didnt want to pester for one-so glad to hear some good news. did they find out if it was a boy or girl yet? fingers crossed that they continue to do well.

Moli
22-03-2010, 07:50 PM
Brilliant news....:D

dandysmom
22-03-2010, 08:26 PM
Very good news!!

farthing
22-03-2010, 11:13 PM
Oh that is wonderful news! i have been keeping an eye on this thread all day for an update but didnt want to pester for one-so glad to hear some good news. did they find out if it was a boy or girl yet? fingers crossed that they continue to do well.

I still don't have much info at all, the only thing I really know is that it is a tabby.

It is quite difficult because, for both the cat and the rabbit, nothing is definate, but we still need to prepare because they will both need to be quarantined and nursed.

Shelley123
23-03-2010, 03:43 PM
I'm glad the little Cat is hanging on

farthing
24-03-2010, 10:23 PM
I've heard no more about the little cat so I must assume the SSPCA have decided to do something else with it, hopefully it is still OK.

It looks like the bunny may have another home to go to, which is good, as long as it is a kind home which will give it all its needs.

farthing
25-03-2010, 08:23 PM
We are collecting the cat tomorrow, now named 'Pudding' by my neice ( quite like the name and encourages her even more!) We have it booked in at 6 tomorrow at our vets so they know what we are dealing with. Apprehensive about its condition but determined to do the best for at, as has been done already.:D

angieh
25-03-2010, 08:34 PM
Glad the little cat will be coming home to you. Hopefully the pretty name of Pudding will bode well for it - sorry can't remember whether boy or girl.

(My favourite white bear with a red stripy T-shirt was called Pudding!)

farthing
25-03-2010, 08:36 PM
I thing they are struggling to sex it, it is so poorly, but hopefully once it is a bit better we can do blood tests and get it sexed.

dandysmom
25-03-2010, 09:26 PM
Glad he/she will be coming to you; couldn't find a better home! Hope all goes well at the vet.

yola
25-03-2010, 10:20 PM
I'm so very glad poor Pudding has a home to go to. But please make sure you're not overstretching yourselves.

Moli
25-03-2010, 10:35 PM
So pleased to hear it is coming to you..Pudding is a great name....

farthing
25-03-2010, 11:14 PM
I'm so very glad poor Pudding has a home to go to. But please make sure you're not overstretching yourselves.

Thanks everybody, and I appreciate where you are coming from Yola. We are also worried about overstretching ourselves, but both Smudge and Mustard were high mainteinance cats so we feel we can offer this cat the extra care. Hopefully, after some more TLC, it will be less work and need less nursing.

pookyandjo
26-03-2010, 06:10 AM
Hooray for Pudding!!!:-D :-D :-D

Great name.. glad that your niece has a love of animals... obviously she gets that from somewhere in the family;)

Bless you Farthing for taking him/her in...apart from the obvious financial concerns... i dont think i could handle the emotional concerns of having so many pets..

JBalways2000
26-03-2010, 01:43 PM
We are collecting the cat tomorrow, now named 'Pudding' by my neice ( quite like the name and encourages her even more!) We have it booked in at 6 tomorrow at our vets so they know what we are dealing with. Apprehensive about its condition but determined to do the best for at, as has been done already.:D

This is fantastic news! So glad that little Pudding has a loving home to go too, i cant wait to read all about them as s/he joins your family :D will be keeping fingers firmly crossed that the news from your own vet is good.

farthing
26-03-2010, 08:22 PM
A quick update on Pudding.
She is a girl and we still have no idea about age- by her teeth the vet thinks about 5, but she may have just been a good hunter and older. She weighs 1.7 kgs.:shock:

Her blood sample shows she has high liver enzymes which could be caused by starvation, hyperthyroid or primary liver disease- bad news if the latter, but the vet thinks this is less likely.

He could feel a goitre so a thyroid test has been sent off, but he may have felt it due to the fact she is so thin.

While being blood tested she peed, so we took a dipstick test- to rule out diabetes, which was clear, but she does have a urine infection.

She must have small meals often, be given a 3 day course of panacur wormer and has been given antibiotic injections.
The vet says we have a fight on our hand but is hopeful she will pull through. We are back in a month, unless any other concerns ( and dependant on her thyroid test) for another weight check, recheck bloods and we will also do a FIV/Felv test, because by that time any infection will show up in the test.

So very hopeful news but we must just take one day at a time.

angieh
26-03-2010, 08:50 PM
Poor little Pudding - what a shocking weight - little and often is best obviously for her. I do so hope that she manages to pull through farthing - I know it won't be for want of your trying to make her better. Healing vibes being sent from here.

dandysmom
26-03-2010, 09:53 PM
Poor little thing! I hope she'll flourish under your care and get some weight on; hope the thyroid tests come back OK and it's just the starvation that makes the thyroid palpable. Healing vibes for Pudding coming across the Pond also ...

calismum
26-03-2010, 11:16 PM
Pudding is a lucky girl to have found such a caring home. I do hope she blossoms under your care.

jan
27-03-2010, 12:48 AM
Pudding certainly has landed on her four feet finding you and what lovely people you are. Wishing you all well. Jan x

farthing
01-05-2010, 04:59 PM
Another Pudding update.

She is Felv/FIV negative.:D

She has also put on over half a kilo and now weighs 2.33 kgs, she was 1.79kg when we got her. She was blood tested yesterday to have her thyroid levels checked, I don't expect them to be normal yet, but hopefully they will have dropped. I have managed to remove nearly all the mats on her sides, but not her tummy....yet, still working on that and it is getting harder because she is getting more feisty.:lol:
She had to wear the hannibal lecter cat muzzle to be blood sampled because she was putting up such a fight, and obviously we don't want to sedate her.

So this evening when we are both home she will meet the rest of the gang for the first time.:shock:

I just realised I didn't tell you all that she is hyperthyroid, so probably over 10, so an old lady.

Elaine
01-05-2010, 05:01 PM
That's great news Farthing xxx:D

Shelley123
01-05-2010, 05:33 PM
Thanks for the update farthing, i'm so pleased Pudding is doing well.

dandysmom
01-05-2010, 08:03 PM
Thanks for the update, good news about the weight gain!

CathyW
01-05-2010, 08:38 PM
just read thisn thread from the start. i was wishing her well. and then reading the last few posts. glad shes getting on. putting on weight ect. she sounds like a proper madam :)
kitty kisses to her from ronnie n reggie xxx