PDA

View Full Version : Hello little friend

Stephan
19-03-2010, 04:25 PM
A couple of days ago I spotted a stranger in the garden who ran off when I opened the door. Same cat was there again this morning,it ran away but then stopped when I said "hello who are you ?"

He was gorgeous-white and ginger and very affectionate--but he has balls.

I`m always cautious around grown up intact toms as they can get over excited and that cuddle can so easily become a claw swipe or a bite(not through malice but they do).

Why do folks not get their cats neutrered-pretty as this boy was he will find a fight sooner or later and probably `mark` my garden now he has found a friend

angieh
19-03-2010, 04:30 PM
Yes, it's very sad for the poor boy. I used to have a lovely little tom cat visit at our previous home - he was really affectionate and very good - never sprayed luckily. No collar and long before the days of microchips. I would willingly have adopted him if I could have found out where he lived. I am sure he wasn't a stray. We moved out of the area and had to say goodbye to Oz. Found a photo of him yesterday.

When will people get the message to neuter and spay?

calismum
19-03-2010, 07:30 PM
I do so agree. When Sid started to view me as a potential adopter he was entire had ragged ears, loads of lumps around his neck and quite a sore back leg from a bite.

Once he was neutered he turned into a big softy boy who just loved to relax. Never seen him in another fight.

I wish people would get that message.

dandysmom
19-03-2010, 08:11 PM
I do too, a neutered cat is so much calmer, happier ( I guess!) and healthier. A pity about your little visitor, Steph.

I know what you mean about whole toms being unpredictable: once years ago I stopped to pet a lovely boy and before I knew it he was humping my forearm! :shock: :mrgreen:

yola
19-03-2010, 08:54 PM
I do so agree. When Sid started to view me as a potential adopter he was entire had ragged ears, loads of lumps around his neck and quite a sore back leg from a bite.

Once he was neutered he turned into a big softy boy who just loved to relax. Never seen him in another fight.

I wish people would get that message.

That sounds just like our old Ferdy. He was FIV+ but lived out his (neutered) days with us.

angieh
19-03-2010, 08:59 PM
There ought to be a TV campaign. I seem to remember Elaine posting a good advert-type video some time ago that really should have had a general audience. It was from the cat's perspective.

Phoenix
19-03-2010, 09:47 PM
There ought to be a TV campaign. I seem to remember Elaine posting a good advert-type video some time ago that really should have had a general audience. It was from the cat's perspective.

Do you have the link to that angie?

angieh
19-03-2010, 10:34 PM
I've posted the link on your spay and neuter thread RCR.

kado
19-03-2010, 11:12 PM
I know we only had Chunkey neutered yesterday but he has clamed down so much already. He fell asleep on my arm last night and i didnt want to move him. He is up and almost back to normal now, just wish i could have got smokey done. Its far the best thing you can do for a male cat to neuter and i am always telling Chunkey daddy's owner about it but will they listen. Nope.

Moli
19-03-2010, 11:33 PM
Chancer was not neutered and had scars on his nose and a torn ear when he turned up in my garden...once he was done, he blossomed into an absolutley gorgeous boy.....

dandysmom
20-03-2010, 01:38 AM
What a shame that all those poor unneutered toms can't find a lovely home like Ferdy, Chancer, Sid, where they can settle in and be loved ......so many people who think it's "not natural" or cruel to neuter a cat. Oh well, I'm preaching to the choir here :roll:

pookyandjo
20-03-2010, 04:31 AM
one of the reason i have always had male cats is that they are SOOOOOOOO affectionate and mellow after they have had their little bits lopped off

farthing
20-03-2010, 10:14 AM
People also don't realise that this is the reason many cats end up with FIV, my vets call it the tom cat disease.

Aquatic
20-03-2010, 10:44 AM
What is the age for Tom cats to be spayed? because when I first had Felix and asked about it they told me one.

pookyandjo
20-03-2010, 12:07 PM
What is the age for Tom cats to be spayed? because when I first had Felix and asked about it they told me one.

I think that varies on where in the world you are...
here in Australia...you cant adopt kittens from shelters unless they are "fixed".. they do both males and females here at 8 weeks:shock:
but in the UK and the US its much later..

Mags
20-03-2010, 01:00 PM

I'm assuming it wasn't your vet who told you it was the age of 1year:?

A tom cat can be sexually active from the age of 5.5 months so it's advisable to neuter around that age, especially if he's an outdoor cat as unknown to the owner, he could already have fathered a few litters of kittens! :shock: I had my previous tom neutered at 6 months.

kado
20-03-2010, 01:11 PM
one of the reason i have always had male cats is that they are SOOOOOOOO affectionate and mellow after they have had their little bits lopped off

I totally agree with you there.

dandysmom
20-03-2010, 04:10 PM
I definitely agree that altered males are very affectionate and cuddly Waiting for one year to neuter a tom is far, far too long ... he could sire hundreds of kittens by then! Five to six months is the norm here.

angieh
22-03-2010, 11:15 AM
Pip was done at 6 months - my vet said that the only reason they don't do it earlier is that they hand tie the tubes, but it depends on the individual development of the cat in question.

I read an interesting article (can't remember where) about how sexual development in both males and females depends on what time of the year they are born. Those born in the Spring develop quicker and can breed by the Autumn. Poor little things. ALWAYS best to spay and neuter IMO.