PDA

View Full Version : Please help, poorly cat

ToddKat
16-03-2010, 05:41 PM
Please can someone give some advice, my 2 and half year old cat has suddenly lost a drastic amount of weight and is not eaten at all since saturday. We have recently moved house so i had put her being quiet down to the stress but kept an eye on her, but when she sat on my knee at the end of last week and i could feel all the bones in her spine i was horrified. She had been eating as normal until last weekend but now refuses all food i put in front of her. I took her to the vets yesterday and he was very blunt and said he suspects Feline Aids. He has also tested for Thyroid problem. I am devastated and i cannot stop crying. I have to wait until thursday for friday for the results, in the mean time i have been trying to feed her with a syringe with some liquid food the vet gave me but all Sami seems to be doing is sleeping. She purrs when i show her her favourite treat but she just cant seem to eat it, the vet checked her mouth and nothing seems to be wrong.
can anyone give any advice or help? im going out of my mind with worry :(
xx

trick
16-03-2010, 06:58 PM
Not sure but i think the vet should have kept your cat in, sounds like she should be getting fluids and or treament for the weight loss as a matter of urgency. Have they given you any meds?

kado
16-03-2010, 07:04 PM
She does need to be in the vets like trick said she needs too be on fluids. Has she been tested for liver problems.

ToddKat
16-03-2010, 07:36 PM
No the vet said there was nothing they could do until the test results came back. She is lapping water and some cat milk but thats about it, and as i said im feeding her liquid food through a syringe. The vet said he's tested for thyroid and Feline aids, thats all?

Elaine
16-03-2010, 07:36 PM
I also agree that the vet should have kept your cat and given her some IV fluids etc. Any particular reason your vet should suspect FIV? Fingers crossed but If I were you I'd get her back to the vet or seek a second opinion.

ToddKat
16-03-2010, 07:40 PM
he said he suspected FIV because she has had such a drastic decline and weight loss?

kado
16-03-2010, 07:43 PM
Liver problems can also cause a dramatic weight loss in cats. Cant understand why he hasnt check it out first.

ToddKat
16-03-2010, 07:46 PM
would that be more blood tests? cos if the tests he has taken come back negetive i dont know what to do, she cant survive like this :(

trick
16-03-2010, 07:48 PM
I didn't think that was one of the main symtoms!
I had a huge entire male feral cat with fiv and filv last week it looked in peek condition,
Try phoning a different vet just for advice and explain the not eatting.

Elaine
16-03-2010, 07:48 PM
he said he suspected FIV because she has had such a drastic decline and weight loss?

That doesnt necessarily mean FIV, it could be any manner of things but none the less serious.
You cannot wait until thursday as this is very serious. Cats metabolism is very different to ours or that of a dog. A cat who stops eating can very quickly develope hepatic lipidosis on top of whatever else might be the cause of the inapetance.
I understand your upset and distress but I cannot stress enough how important it is to get your cat to a vet that will treat her now for the loss of appetite, until you know what you are dealing with.

Elaine
16-03-2010, 07:50 PM
would that be more blood tests? cos if the tests he has taken come back negetive i dont know what to do, she cant survive like this :(

Is it just the FIV test results you are waiting for? Did the vet run a complete blood panel?
As Trick said, phone another vet and seek their advice tonight.

ToddKat
16-03-2010, 07:58 PM
he said he only did a blood test for FIV and thyroid?

Kim
16-03-2010, 08:07 PM
I really hope your cat does not have FIV. I agree with the others that your cat needs to be at the vet on IV fluids.

Elaine
16-03-2010, 08:15 PM
he said he only did a blood test for FIV and thyroid?

I find that quite ridiculous to be honest, I would have expected any vet to run a complete blood panel to check everything as cats stop eating for any number of reasons. I would also have expected the vet to have given fluids for which he would have probably kept the cat.
This is serious and your cat needs urgent medical attention, please call anopther vet for a second opinion.

kado
16-03-2010, 08:24 PM
You have got to get your cat too the vet now. I was advised on here once about my cat simon and that gave us another 2 years with him.

farthing
16-03-2010, 08:48 PM
I agree with everybody else, she needs to be given a full blood screen- a thyroid problem is very unlikely at that age and if it turns out not to be FIV, you will have to wait for another set of bloods to be done.
It could be any number of things, I wonder why your vet has jumped on the idea of FIV- does she fight a lot with other cats, what is her background.
I hope you find out what is wrong, but she needs to be eating and drinking to avoid other complications developing.

dandysmom
16-03-2010, 08:51 PM
I can only echo the above: get a second opinion ASAP; she needs to be seen!!

angieh
16-03-2010, 09:27 PM
Yes, find another vet - quickly. Ask friends for recommendations.

tabsie
16-03-2010, 09:57 PM
Depending on what part of Liverpool you are in, the vets I go to might be quite near to you. I can recommend Andale Vets in Widnes. The vets are very friendly and helpful. They will do a lot of blood tests within 20 mins while you wait, although some will have to be sent away. They are not open 24 hours though, will open 8.30 in morning. Hope everything works out ok for you

yola
16-03-2010, 10:14 PM
Please get your cat tested for the full spectrum. Your vet seems to be going down a particular route which isn't potentially seeing the full picture as there are many more ailments which could be causing the problem. Please fight to see what is the matter with your cat and then you can be fully informed (quickly) what the problem, prognisis and diagnosis is.

ToddKat
20-03-2010, 05:31 PM
Hi everyone, just thought id let you know the vet was unfortunately right, Sami tested positive for FIP on thursday and was put to sleep. I am truely devastated. Thank you for your kind words and help.
RIP my angel xxx

tabsie
20-03-2010, 05:58 PM
I am so sorry for your loss, I have just been through it too, I know what you are going through, R.I.P. little one xx

ToddKat
20-03-2010, 06:13 PM
thanks Tabsie xxx

Mags
20-03-2010, 07:05 PM
So very sorry for your loss :(

Sleep tight Sami, no more pain .....xx

jacks
20-03-2010, 07:12 PM
So sorry to hear the sad news.:(
Sleep tight Sami..XX

dandysmom
20-03-2010, 08:13 PM
I'm so sorry. RIP, dear Sami, run free at the Bridge.....

trick
20-03-2010, 09:05 PM
I'm so very sorry for your loss xxx

farthing
21-03-2010, 12:06 AM
So sorry for your loss.

pookyandjo
21-03-2010, 09:11 AM
So sorry for your loss...sleep tight little Sami xox

Elaine
21-03-2010, 10:52 AM
So sorry xxx

yola
21-03-2010, 11:35 AM
I'm so sorry you've lost Sami.

EmmaG
21-03-2010, 01:32 PM
So Sorry :-( RIP Sami

Kim
21-03-2010, 03:08 PM
How sad, I am so sorry for you. RIP Sami.

Aquatic
28-03-2010, 07:40 PM
I didn't see this thread. I am so sorry to hear this.
R.I.P. Sami Xxx

angieh
28-03-2010, 07:53 PM
I am so sorry for your loss. RIP Sami, scamper free from pain now.

ToddKat
29-03-2010, 07:25 PM
thank you so much for your lovely messages xx
just found out my other cat George tested positive for FIP and Feline Leukemia :( He seems very healthy and normal so i just have to wait and see how he goes. Has anyone else had the same experiance or know anything about FIP? i have been reading a lot about it but am still confused xx

yola
29-03-2010, 07:54 PM
Not FIP, but I had an FIV cat. Initially it's a great shock but the cat can survive for a long time with the condition; you jsut have to watch it's not exposed to too much potential infection or to fighting with other cats which can be infected as a result.

I understand FIP can be more immediate and the decline can be more dramatic. I would have a conversation with your vet as to George's prognosis.

trick
29-03-2010, 08:01 PM
If I'm correct your cat should not have FIP. the test is for carona virus anti-bodies which can mean your cat at some point has come in to contact with the virus. Fip is when this virus mutates for some reason, some think stress or sudden change, it normaly shows as either wet or dry FIP 'feline infectious peretinitous' wet fip shows as a swollen abdomen and sudden general ill health. dry fip is just as dangerous but does not show as many symtoms both last for a short period and are fatal. HOWEVER your cat can happily live with carona virus and NEVER develope FIP

trick
29-03-2010, 08:06 PM
If I'm correct your cat should not have FIP. the test is for carona virus anti-bodies which can mean your cat at some point has come in to contact with the virus. Fip is when this virus mutates for some reason, some think stress or sudden change, it normaly shows as either wet or dry FIP 'feline infectious peretinitous' wet fip shows as a swollen abdomen and sudden general ill health. dry fip is just as dangerous but does not show as many symtoms both last for a short period and are fatal.

HOWEVER your cat can happily live with carona virus and NEVER develope FIP

ToddKat
29-03-2010, 08:18 PM
He definitely tested positive for FIP?
My vet just said to keep a close eye on him and if he seems under the weather at all for more than 2 days to bring him in straight away. She said she couldn't give me any timescale of how long i will have him xxx

trick
29-03-2010, 08:35 PM
Strange, there is no test for FIP just a titer test for the corona virus which may never mutate into FIP.Sorry to ask but did your vet send Sami for a post mortem as that would be the only definative way the tell if she had FIP

trick
29-03-2010, 08:41 PM
this might help?

http://www.moggies.co.uk/articles/fip.html

Moli
29-03-2010, 09:19 PM
So sorry....

Elaine
30-03-2010, 02:25 PM
I agree with Trick, there is no test for FIP.
http://www.fabcats.org/owners/fip/info.html
http://www.gla.ac.uk/faculties/vet/cad/informationforvets/felinecoronavirusfcov/adiagnosisoffelineinfectiousperitonitisfipissuspec ted/
http://www.dr-addie.com/#fipguardian

angieh
30-03-2010, 02:31 PM
I am so sorry to hear about George. I do hope that you can clarify his situation with your vet.

farthing
30-03-2010, 02:39 PM
I agree with Trick and Elaine- there is only a test for corona virus which many cats carry but show no ill effects.

We have an FIV cat who came to us 3 years ago, aged 12, she is now 15 and still doing very well. As long as your cat is kept inside so he has less chance of catching illnesses from other cats and if he shows any sign of being under the weather get him straight in to be checked, because he will probably need and antibiotic injection. This is because the immune system is compromised so FIV cats are more susseptable to infections and need quick treatment to stop the infection developing.

Kay
31-03-2010, 12:06 PM
So sorry for your loss. RIP Sami. xx

I am, however, a bit confused. You said that your vet had tested for Feline Aids (FIV not FIP) and thyroids. Why did your vet then say Sami had tested positive for FIP, a totally different disease than what he tested for? Very odd especially as there is no test for FIP, as several people have already said.

Elaine
31-03-2010, 04:12 PM
So sorry for your loss. RIP Sami. xx

I am, however, a bit confused. You said that your vet had tested for Feline Aids (FIV not FIP) and thyroids. Why did your vet then say Sami had tested positive for FIP, a totally different disease than what he tested for? Very odd especially as there is no test for FIP, as several people have already said.

Confused me too.

Kay
31-03-2010, 08:39 PM
Confused me too.

Glad I'm not the only one ;);)