PDA

View Full Version : Natures Menu/Almo Nature/Gourmet Gold/Best wet food?

Babycat
16-03-2010, 05:21 PM
I'm trying to find out what the best wet cat food is, and I think I've narrowed it down, but is there any other brands I should try?

I can't get Bozita unless I buy it online and I only want to buy 1 or 2 to see if she likes them. :-D

Personally, I don't like feeding cats dry food so after best wet food.

angieh
16-03-2010, 05:28 PM
I'm not sure actually what is "best" and I've been doing a similar sort of experiment myself! My two, Kizzy who is about 3 years and Pip who is 9 months old and will no longer eat kitten food, having been trying out various wet foods for a while now. They generally eat a mixture of Hills adult biscuits and Royal Canin Digestive Comfort biscuits (which I found best for Kizzy who had very bad "windy" problems when she first came to us). So far I have found neither like Nature's Best, they both love Almo Nature Tuna, but won't touch the one with egg in it - I haven't tried Gourmet Gold yet.

The next on my list to try is Joe and Jill's.

I would be interested to know how you get on with your own experiment and which varieties you have tried so far.

dandysmom
16-03-2010, 08:42 PM
As I'm in the States can't comment on those brands; however I do prefer wet food over dry, as it greatly decreases the chance of cystitis. I add a little lukewarm water to the wet to increase the water intake, and a small sprinkling of dry on top.

farthing
16-03-2010, 09:01 PM
I moved mine onto Hi-life pouches a wee while ago and I'm really pleased with it. They eat it all and Candy, who has IBD, is a much happier, healthier cat.

angieh
16-03-2010, 09:10 PM
That's a good recommendation farthing, thanks.

I would much prefer to offer my two a mixed diet - the problem really is finding something that they will happily eat!

yola
16-03-2010, 10:24 PM
Mine won't touch anything other than Royal Canin wet or RC dry (persian mix). Applaws gave them the runs, Natures Menu and Gourmet Gold were left untouched.

You'll just have to see what your cats go with . . . .

angieh
01-04-2010, 08:25 PM
Just thought I'd update - I tried Joe and Jill's - nice 100% organic, no nasties and ............. guess what .......... neither Pip nor Kizzy would touch it. They seemed to like Joe and JIll's biscuits however. I've also tried Hills pouches and this at least gets eaten. Pip especially seems to like it.

dandysmom
01-04-2010, 09:37 PM
Leia refuses the organic 100% good-for-you food also. Fancy Feast Elegant Medleys wet or nothing!

Aquatic
01-04-2010, 10:40 PM
I've never actually fed Felix any of these I seem to go with either Felix or Whiska's.
I'm going to have a good look for them the next time I go shopping and see if the little lord-ship approves. I think I might try Hi-life pouches on him :-D
I mix dry food and wet food together for him he seems to like it.

dandysmom
01-04-2010, 11:41 PM
Sorry if I'm repeating myself, but I give my girl wet with just a sprinkling of dry on the top as she had cystitis once.

angieh
02-04-2010, 10:35 AM
I WISH my two would eat wet - Kizzy refuses completely but Pip will eat both, so I am trying to encourage that. Kizzy's only compromise to this is eating wild things that may come her way.

We may know what's best health-wise for our cats, but that doesn't mean to say that they will be good children and eat what's on their plates - or in their bowls!!!

Kay
02-04-2010, 07:57 PM
I have found a brilliant hi fish content alternative to the more expensive Hi-life types. It is Feline Fayre and can be bought at Home Bargains and Asda. It is only 25p a satchet at Home Bargains and I think about 33p at Asda. They only do fish varities but the cats go mad for them. The varities are Tuna, Tuna & Salmon, Ocean Fish and Seafood Platter. The Seafood Platter goes down particularly fast. The fish content is 65%. I mix mine with RC dried.

Well worth a try.

angieh
02-04-2010, 08:30 PM
Thanks for that tip Kay - I'll see if I can find it!

Kay
02-04-2010, 09:06 PM
Thanks for that tip Kay - I'll see if I can find it!

The other supermarets may stock it but I have only seen it in Asda. I buy it from Home Bargains as it is so cheap. Love that shop :lol:

angieh
02-04-2010, 10:41 PM
Don't think we have Home Bargains - don't recognise the name! We do have Asda though - get our grocery delivery from them.

Kay
02-04-2010, 11:06 PM
Home Bargains are pretty new but are expanding quickly so you may get one near you soon.

pcspik
03-04-2010, 04:53 PM
http://www.tjmorris.co.uk/ is Home Bargains site, and at the bottom there is a store locator.

My female gets fed on Felix Senior (the trays) and has been on them for years, and she seems to be coping fine. My male is on Royal Canin Renal however.

angieh
03-04-2010, 05:33 PM
Thanks for the link pcspik - there are no stores within 50 miles of where I live! I'll try Asda!

andtiggertoo
04-04-2010, 05:03 PM
I've come to this a bit late, but this is my twopenn'orth. I had to put ours on to grain free food, or as grain free as I could find most of the time because Fred had urinary problems. So these are the ones we've tried and they've liked:
Hi-Life
Nature's Menu
Schesir
Feline Fayre
Bozita (I know you only want one or two, but these actually worked out the best when we had the two cats)

I also give them either Orijen, Almo Nature, Applaws, Organipets or Taste of the Wild kibbles. The Almo Nature and Applaws are not all complete foods, so be careful which you get - most of them are just supplementary foods and shouldn't be fed to cats as a regular food because they're lacking some essential minerals and vitamins.

If there's a Pets at Home near you then they have their own brand of food that's about 60% meat/fish content.

I've found that a lot of the so called 'premium' cat foods still carry a pretty high percentage of grains/cereals and I'm never particularly keen on food that says it contains 'animal derivatives'. In my book it either contains meat or it doesn't.

I was pretty horrified to discover that normal Felix and Whiskas only contain about 2% meat.

angieh
07-04-2010, 03:11 PM
Just put in my Asda order and ordered 4 pouches of 2 different varieties of Feline Fayre. Cheap enough to try - let's see what my two think of it.

By the way, if anyone wants me to send them samples of Joe and Jill's, please PM me. I'd rather send it for other Catsey cats to try rather than take the whole lot down to the charity bin at P@H.

Kay
07-04-2010, 07:21 PM
Hope Kizzy and Pip enjoy them. Mine certainly do.

Amber_Leigh1
07-04-2010, 09:02 PM
Just another update - you can also buy Feline Fayre at Morrisons which now includes Safeways under their umbrella :)

Babycat
14-04-2010, 04:48 PM
andtiggertoo- yeh I'd never feed Felix or Whiskas as I know how rubbish it is. :(

Just to update, we tried
Gourmet Perle - she loved it
Denes - she loved it
Almo Bio Pate - she loved it
Almo Nature - she loved it
Natures Menu - she loved it

:-D

So....after looking at pricing and ingredients I went with Natures Menu, it's a good price for a quality food. She still gets some royal canin biscuits as free feeeding, though I might stop that after my holiday as I prefer to feed all wet, with a catsitter though it'll be a problem with food spoiling.

angieh
14-04-2010, 04:52 PM
I have to report that neither Kizzy nor Pip like Feline Fayre, so I have 3 unopened (of course) pouches to send to anyone who would like to try them

Impossible to please, my two :roll:

JMPARK
12-10-2011, 11:58 AM
Hi Life Pouches Are Excellent And 60% Meat, Unlike The Whiskers Etc.which, If Your Lucky, Have Only 4% Meat!! The Only Problem Is That The Hi Life Seems To Be Very "rich" And Gave Both Our Little Kittens Stomach Problems At First. We Now Have Them On Dietry Hard Food, But Are Gradually Getting Them Back On The Hi Life Again! So Far So Good!!
I Must Admit That The Hard Feed Tends To Fill Them Up A Lot More Than The Wet Food, But They Seem To Like The Wet Food Far More.

JMPARK
26-10-2011, 09:18 AM
I have to report that neither Kizzy nor Pip like Feline Fayre, so I have 3 unopened (of course) pouches to send to anyone who would like to try them

Impossible to please, my two :roll:

ARE THEY FOR OLDER CATS OR KITTENS?
AS IME LOOKING FOR MORE VARIETY FOR MY TWO!

Mags
26-10-2011, 12:16 PM
ARE THEY FOR OLDER CATS OR KITTENS?
AS IME LOOKING FOR MORE VARIETY FOR MY TWO!
Just a reminder to let you know Angie's post re Feline Fayre pouches was posted in April 2010..:)

JMPARK
26-10-2011, 12:38 PM
Just a reminder to let you know Angie's post re Feline Fayre pouches was posted in April 2010..:)

OOPS!!! SHOULD HAVE READ IT PROPERLY!
NEVERV MIND, A TRIP TO ASDA AND LOOK THEN!!
THANKS!

truthisouthere
26-10-2011, 02:26 PM
Thanks Kay, I must try that!

Angieh there is! I was in Home Bargains in Fareham, (Hampshire), earlier today stocking up on some Gourmet Solitaire (3 for a pound, it's 3 for £1.50 at Sainsbury's and everywhere else, Mitzi has expensive taste, lol). It's only been open since early this year. I bought an electric fire there last week and I'm very pleased with it. I'm also changing to wood pelleted cat litter and theirs is £1.40 something for a bag. I've bought some great Egyptian cotten bedsets there too, they stock practically everything.

JMPARK
26-10-2011, 02:31 PM
Thanks Kay, I must try that!

Angieh there is! I was in Home Bargains in Fareham, (Hampshire), earlier today stocking up on some Gourmet Solitaire (3 for a pound, it's 3 for £1.50 at Sainsbury's and everywhere else, Mitzi has expensive taste, lol). It's only been open since early this year. I bought an electric fire there last week and I'm very pleased with it. I'm also changing to wood pelleted cat litter and theirs is £1.40 something for a bag. I've bought some great Egyptian cotten bedsets there too, they stock practically everything.
I TRIED THE WOOD PELLETED LITTER AND BOTH MY KITTENS WOULDNT GO ANYWHWERE NEAR IT!! IN FACT THEY BOTH WENT EITHER BESIDE THEIR BASKET OR ONE OF THEM ACTUALLY PEED IN HER BASKET!!!!!! DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY, BUT WHEN WE WENT BACK TO THE NORMAL LIGHT GRAVEL LITTER THEY WERE OK!
FUSSY LITTLE BEGGERS!!!

truthisouthere
26-10-2011, 02:41 PM
I TRIED THE WOOD PELLETED LITTER AND BOTH MY KITTENS WOULDNT GO ANYWHWERE NEAR IT!! IN FACT THEY BOTH WENT EITHER BESIDE THEIR BASKET OR ONE OF THEM ACTUALLY PEED IN HER BASKET!!!!!! DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY, BUT WHEN WE WENT BACK TO THE NORMAL LIGHT GRAVEL LITTER THEY WERE OK!
FUSSY LITTLE BEGGERS!!!

I'm changing it over slowly, just sprinkling it on top at 1st..Who knows my 2 could react the same as your 2 when the full changeover comes into force! Only time will tell! I love the piney fresh smell, it could be the new texture or the smell JM..

JMPARK
26-10-2011, 03:55 PM
I'm changing it over slowly, just sprinkling it on top at 1st..Who knows my 2 could react the same as your 2 when the full changeover comes into force! Only time will tell! I love the piney fresh smell, it could be the new texture or the smell JM..
probably was that i changed it over too quickly, but am loathed to try it again. you can pick up the gravel litter quite cheap in Tesco and Asda, so i will keep with that. They both don't seem to mind the "value" packs and they do seem to soak up well!

Elaine
26-10-2011, 06:08 PM
Some of the wood pellet litters are scented with pine which can be very off putting to our fussy furry friends.

angieh
26-10-2011, 08:07 PM
My two have been going "au natural" during the summer. I wonder if it wouldn't be kind of me to put down their litter trays again? I certainly will do if there's a snowfall, but wonder where the line should be drawn between encouraging "softness" and being a considerate mummy :D

Course, it's different if your cats are always used to litter trays indoors.

truthisouthere
26-10-2011, 09:22 PM
I only employ the use of litter trays on a permanent basis when they are ill, or in the winter, now they are both getting on in years I like to give them the luxury of indoor facilities in the warm. I never used them angie until Mitzi was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism and find them very very useful for keeping tabs on their health. I had a cat once who I didn't have a clue was so ill until one day I found a mess of blood stained 'number 2's', I would have picked this up much sooner had I had a litter tray indoors.. Having said that Chesi always prefers to go outdoors and will 'complain' if he has to use the tray of an evening!
..And yes, pine smelling litter (if it's artificially scented) would be quite offensive to a cat's delicate senses! I don't know if the natural pine would fare any better Elaine? It's resin based so I guess they would still view it as toxic...?