PDA

View Full Version : Mummy cat getting distressed

Millie2010
16-03-2010, 12:49 PM
Over the past couple of days Millie has been getting quite distressed and constantly calling me. When she goes in box to feed if all the kittens don't latch on or they fight she leaves the box and miaows and mews at me until I go and sit next to box and comfort her and make sure all kittens are lined up and feeding, I then have to stroke and soothe her so she stays put then she's fine. If something happens with the kits and they start fighting she leaves and I have to start the whole thing again. Not sure if I'm doing the right thing. Can I do anything so help prevent this?

Debbie x

trick
16-03-2010, 01:00 PM
how old are the kittens now

Millie2010
16-03-2010, 01:00 PM
1 week tonight

trick
16-03-2010, 01:08 PM
Still very young then, is this her first litter, and how many does she have? The main thing is not to touch the kittens as it will confuse them and your queen try to comfort her without physicaly moving any of them, they should be able to find the teet themselves and she might start relaying on you to do the work. Peace and quite are far more likly to help than intervention.

Millie2010
16-03-2010, 01:44 PM
Yes it is her first litter, there are 5 of them.

Debbie x

Millie2010
16-03-2010, 04:13 PM
Thanks for your posts, I've adjusted the position of the box (I had several boxes in different positions, so had a choice), previously she had to jump in to see kitts, now she's laying on the end of my bed where she can see everything and at every move the kitts make she's ready to go to them! They've been asleep for a couple of hours now, so all huddled together and looking very cute! She is very chilled out now, hopefully at next feeding time she'll settle ok.

Debbie x