PDA

View Full Version : Felix had a tick. Advice on Frontline please?

jan
14-03-2010, 02:36 AM
I need some advice as I just found a tick on Felix, who only escaped out the bathroom window twice in the last week and was only out for two minuites each time but it must have happened then. My four cats are all house cats, I havent flead them for ages but have always used Advantage in the past. I removed the tick with tweezers after smothering it in vaseline, didnt check it to be fair for its head as it was repulsive and I smothered it in toilet paper and flushed it away. I have some antibiotics left over from when Felix had his water infection in October and I started him on those, its nearly a full course, as I have a friend with Lyme Disease after a tick and she is so poorly it has me very scared of ticks.

Now I have Advantage left, in date, but only up to 4 kg in cats. Felix is over 5 ! So no good. I looked online and it is prescription only which means visiting my vets, which I probably will do but as long as they sell me the stuff without my having to take my cat in and pay for a consultation as my vet is money grabbing. I can buy Frontline pipettes but no idea if the one I can buy without prescription is any good, it gives no guidance online for weight issues. The combi is prescription only and does anyone know the difference, will the basic one for fleas and ticks be okay for a cat of 5 kg? If so I will order online.

Quite shocked at how easily he picked this tick up. It was clearly visible under his chin on his white fur. Grey ish colour. Havent checked the rest of him as I freaked him out earlier having to get son to hold him upright while I tugged away.

Thanks for reading! Jan x

valerieanne
14-03-2010, 11:23 AM
Hi there,

I would buy the frontline combo for him. It has instructions on the pack. I find Amazon and PetUk quite reasonable.

I use it on my boy who is 5kg and this is fine for him.

Hope this helps.

jan
14-03-2010, 07:07 PM
Hi Valerieanne,
thanks for the reply. The combo one has to have a prescription from a vet the same as the Advantage does, how would I get this without having to have a consultation? Our vets charge about thirty pounds for a consultation and I was hoping to get something online as I think its ridiculous. How do you get yours?
Thanks Jan x

valerieanne
15-03-2010, 09:09 AM
http://www.pharmacy2u.co.uk/frontline.html?affiliateid=81866680101062&gclid=CMO81b6luqACFVcB4wodrQrHTg

I thought it was here but looking again it looks like the "combo" without prescription is for dogs only, which is a tad strange.

I generally use the spray for kitten with a good flea comb and then spot on frontline. Sorry I am not more help. I know Chemists sell it now too but am unsure of the costs.

kado
15-03-2010, 02:14 PM
Frontline combo works. The ordinary frontline will not work on cats over 6kgs. Frontline makers told me this due too me having a guinness 9kg. He seems to be losing a bit of weight now though.