PDA

View Full Version : Kittens

Millie2010
13-03-2010, 01:20 PM
My cat had five kiitens tuesday evening, I have weighed them today, 1 is 163g, 2 are 143g, 1 is 151g and finally the last one is only 126g. This little one is always fighting for a nipple and I'm worried that the larger ones are going to always push him out, should I start feeding him with lactol gold whilst still feeding from mum?

valerieanne
13-03-2010, 02:32 PM
I would weigh him daily from now on at the same time each day before starting to attempt to feed him yourself, if you have not done so before as this can be very dangerous for the kitten.

Have you witnessed him feeding from Mum?

kado
13-03-2010, 02:48 PM
I had the same problem with my maisey kittens. She was so tiny and had to fight for a nipple. Like valerieanne said make sure the mum is not feeding her before you attempt to feed him yourself. I left alone she was the hardest to wean as well, they are nearly 7 months now and little monkeys

Millie2010
13-03-2010, 03:12 PM
Yes I have seen him feeding from mum, when mum has a break and she goes back in, all the kittens are asleep so I take him and put him on the nipple, which is good until the other kittens wake and they just push him and fight with him over the nipple and as he's the smallest he loses. Mum is very chilled with me handling the kittens thankfully. Mum is a very small cat and I was very shocked that she had 5 kittens.

Thanks and I'll updated each day with his weight.

Debbie
x

kado
13-03-2010, 03:46 PM
They always seem to favour one of the nipples. Sounds odd but i think they pick a nipple when they are born and feed from that one so if another one comes along they push them off it.

valerieanne
13-03-2010, 07:14 PM
Yes I have seen him feeding from mum, when mum has a break and she goes back in, all the kittens are asleep so I take him and put him on the nipple, which is good until the other kittens wake and they just push him and fight with him over the nipple and as he's the smallest he loses. Mum is very chilled with me handling the kittens thankfully. Mum is a very small cat and I was very shocked that she had 5 kittens.

Thanks and I'll updated each day with his weight.

Debbie
x

That's good just keep them all nice and warm and doing what you are doing. See how much he puts on from tonight until tomorrow. :)

Valerie x

Millie2010
14-03-2010, 06:48 PM
Phew, my little one has put weight on, he is 140g. Feeling so relieved, will continue putting him with mum first and hopefully he'll catch them up and win some of the battles with the bigger kittens.

Debbie x

valerieanne
15-03-2010, 09:11 AM
That's great news. Once you are sure he is getting enough from Mum you can start weighing every 2/3 day again. x