PDA

View Full Version : Advice/help re cat that won't come in!

calismum
09-03-2010, 08:17 PM
Ok guys - need your collective help. My friend has an 11 year old female cat that went out on Sunday night and won't come back in!

She has lived in the same house all her life, she goes out now and then but usually just hangs around the house and garden.

No change of routine, additions to household, stress related things, or any other obvious changes in her environment.

She was sitting in the driveway last night but when my friend called her in she turned tail and ran off.

She has tried leaving the back door open, has put her blanket out on the porch, left some food just in the back door but cat just nor coming in.

Does anyone have any other ideas, advice etc.

Thanks

dandysmom
09-03-2010, 09:00 PM
That's a real puzzler. Only thing I can think of is that something happened in the house unbeknownst to the owners that scared her so very much that she'll not come in.

calismum
09-03-2010, 09:02 PM
That's a real puzzler. Only thing I can think of is that something happened in the house unbeknownst to the owners that scared her so very much that she'll not come in.

Yeah, that's what I wondered but her hubbie works from home and he says not!.

Am off to visit just now so just thought i'd see if anyone had any ideas before I went there.

Thanks DM

Elaine
09-03-2010, 09:04 PM
Is there another cat hanging about? Perhaps a strange cat or a bully cat? Could some one else have been leaving food out that she has found? If not, then I would have thought that she would come in once hungry enough.

angieh
09-03-2010, 09:05 PM
Try luring her with some catnip if she's susceptible. Does sound as if something has scared her.

calismum
09-03-2010, 09:06 PM
Is there another cat hanging about? Perhaps a strange cat or a bully cat? Could some one else have been leaving food out that she has found? If not, then I would have thought that she would come in once hungry enough.

Don't know but will ask - off now to try and give friend some moral support - Thanks Elaine

calismum
09-03-2010, 09:07 PM
Try luring her with some catnip if she's susceptible. Does sound as if something has scared her.

Good idea - never thought of that - will update later.

Donna
09-03-2010, 09:53 PM
Mine always come running when I shake the biscuit (cat kibbles) jar...

calismum
10-03-2010, 08:35 PM
Still not home and not been seen again since Monday evening.

Gave all your thoughts and tips so we are still hopeful she'll decide she's had enough and appear at the door/window.

cats' staff
10-03-2010, 09:43 PM
Cleo occasionally pulls this sort of stunt and often at this time of year when it warms up. She doesn't go out for months then suddenly decides to go outside and it is a real job to get her in- she comes close but any attempt to grab her and she runs away. She does come in at night eventually but sometimes not till the early hours! I've no ideas for your friend other than enticing smells which sometimes work with madam.

Like your friend- we can never find a reason for the sudden change in behaviour other than the fact that she often does it on a nice warm day- almost as if she forgets how much fun she has outside until it warms up and having rediscovered it she wants to stay out therer.
Mind you, to be perfectly honest, Cleo is a lovely cat but has always been a bit fey!

niki71uk
10-03-2010, 10:11 PM
going senile??? mibbe she's kinda forgot where she lives,or just doesnt recognise her owner?

dandysmom
10-03-2010, 11:42 PM
I suppose that might be possible, Niki, but she's only 11, a bit young for that. And when my Patches got a bit senile when she was nearing 20 she always responded to my voice and seemed comforted and more oriented.

niki71uk
11-03-2010, 09:04 AM
mibbee she had a knock?

calismum
11-03-2010, 09:43 PM
Still not home - food left out not touched.

angieh
11-03-2010, 10:00 PM
That's so very sad CM. Poor little cat - I can't think of anything else, except perhaps borrowing a trap from a local CP, but if she's not eating her food ..... I wonder if Niki is right in wondering perhaps she's had a knock or been hit on the head. Your friend must be frantic.

dandysmom
11-03-2010, 10:35 PM
I'm sure this must have been done, but in case, has she asked the neighbors if they are feeding her or letting her in?

calismum
12-03-2010, 12:13 AM
I'm sure this must have been done, but in case, has she asked the neighbors if they are feeding her or letting her in?

Went round and asked those that were in if they spot her to call her mobile. If noone in left a flyer with description asking same.

She is such a petite wee cat she could easily be mistaken for an older kitten from a distance.

dandysmom
12-03-2010, 12:35 AM
Very worrying; I do hope she's at least spotted; so odd to be staying away from home this long. Fingers crossed and Come Home vibes coming.

calismum
17-03-2010, 08:43 PM
Quick update. She is coming up to the house at night for food but as soon as anyone moves she runs off.

My friend is heartbroken and getting so down.

I am considering suggesting she tries to borrow a live trap. Do you think that is a good idea?

angieh
17-03-2010, 08:47 PM
I guess those who have used these things before are better placed to know. I would have thought yes, at least a vet could take a look at her and make sure she's not taken a knock. I do sympathise with your friend - she must be beside herself, not knowing why her cat doesn't want to live at home any more.

calismum
17-03-2010, 09:04 PM
I know - but also I asked her if she was sure nothing had happened to scare her etc. She got really upset, apparently her MIL had said 'well you must have been bad to her'.

She is now worried everyone will think the same.:cry:

I know the cat is very well looked after but I just find it so weird. Have tried looking about other sites etc but cannot find anything similar.

angieh
17-03-2010, 09:07 PM
You know your friend CM - and I will take your word for it that you don't believe she or anyone else in her house has been bad to the cat. It's a hard call, and I can understand her thinking that.

Mags
17-03-2010, 09:08 PM
I'm clutching at straws here but do you think there was any possibility that another cat has been close to the outside of her house and sprayed either on the door, path or steps ........ that sort of thing could make her very wary of entering her house:?

calismum
17-03-2010, 09:08 PM
You know your friend CM - and I will take your word for it that you don't believe she or anyone else in her house has been bad to the cat. It's a hard call, and I can understand her thinking that.

Me too - but I can't say that!

Moli
18-03-2010, 12:28 AM
Maybe borrowing a trap is the answer CM....I have used them a few times and always been successful...

kado
18-03-2010, 11:14 AM
Does she like catnip. If she does could you sprinkle some towards the cat flap. Does the cat flap have an incoming setting only. Otherwise the cat trap is a brilliant idea.

calismum
18-03-2010, 08:30 PM
Does she like catnip. If she does could you sprinkle some towards the cat flap. Does the cat flap have an incoming setting only. Otherwise the cat trap is a brilliant idea.

:( No catflap - cat used window or door