PDA

View Full Version : Advice regarding another Cat

Donna
06-03-2010, 02:55 PM
As you all know, I have Chloe (4) and Misty (4) unrelated neutered females.

You know they have never been the best of friends.. they dont hate each other or fight too much, but I have had to break up spats from time to time. I am not experienced enough with cats to know if they like each other or not.

Well, my friend has a neutered female grey/blue cat.. She is gorgeous... I have been asked if I could have her.. what do I do?

If I take her on, I will have seven pets... four rabbits and three cats... all animals currently have no health problems. Money is ok. Not great, but I am keeping on top of things. With Sean turning 18 I will lose child benefit and also child tax credits if he goes to Uni, but assume he will have Grants/Loans to pay for himself.... I will lose money eventually with tax credits (Emma 16 April) but do have the option of going full time at work when the tax credits are not an option.

So things to consider are:

Other cats in the house
Money

angieh
06-03-2010, 04:43 PM
Obviously it's wise to make sure that you could afford another cat Donna, but IMO it is probably more important for your own sanity to find out whether your two girls would accept a third! If not, then you don't have to consider the cost. Would your friend be willing for you to have the cat on a trial basis???

dandysmom
06-03-2010, 05:41 PM
My Misty and Patches didn't get along; no fighting, hissing, etc. but it was plain they were not fond of one another. When I got Dandy it changed the dynamic completely. He and Misty became close, and Patches seemed much happier. You never know how it will work out until you try. The trial basis might be the best option. Of course that was adding a male kitten; not sure how an adult female would work out, but all cats are different.

Kazz
06-03-2010, 05:45 PM
Interesting, do you know if the third cat is at least tolerant of other cats?
Yola has added an adult to an established household so she may be able to help.

But a thought is if your balance at home is not always harmonious....would a third cat cause chaos and then even if only on trial have upset the balance so much your two don't get on?

Although I would be tempted if your friend was willing to try if you want a third cat. Why is she rehoming the cat?

Elaine
06-03-2010, 05:46 PM
It's really hard for any one to say how it will turn out. You know your cats better than any one, so trust your gut feeling is all I can really say.
If you do go for it, I'd like to wish you all the very best and hope it all works out well. You know we'd all be here for you no matter what. xxx

Donna
06-03-2010, 06:25 PM
Why is she rehoming the cat?

Hmm she got the cat when she got her flat (after living years with her daughter due to financial problems). She then met a man and moved out of area with him on a whim. She now regrets moving in with this man and is now thinking of moving back to this area but wont be able to afford a flat of her own now due to getting in debt with this man :roll:

She might be able to rent a room somewhere, but cant take the cat... she is a not like me when it comes to animals. For life.

Donna
06-03-2010, 06:25 PM
It's really hard for any one to say how it will turn out. You know your cats better than any one, so trust your gut feeling is all I can really say.
If you do go for it, I'd like to wish you all the very best and hope it all works out well. You know we'd all be here for you no matter what. xxx

Thank you :D

alexgirl73
06-03-2010, 07:01 PM
Donna, should you not still get CB for Sean, as he will be going to Uni? Usually it is paid up until their 20th birthday if they are in further education. Not sure if that is the situation with you :)

Donna
06-03-2010, 07:24 PM
I think everything stops if they go to University, whereas if he stayed at college for longer they would pay it.

Think its something to do with the fact that he can get Grants and Loans in his name for University so in theory can support himself.. although I can only work it out that it amounts to about £6000 a year he can get... not good if he has high rents etc.

alexgirl73
06-03-2010, 07:44 PM
Ah! That's a bummer.

Well, I agree with Elaine. Follow your gut and you wont go wrong :)

calismum
06-03-2010, 08:31 PM
I have, over the years, introduced cats and kittens into the house. I could give you a blow by blow a/c but I think easier to say some got on well, others tolerated but none resulted in all out war.

Whatever you decide - hope it turns out well for the cat.

dandysmom
06-03-2010, 09:00 PM
Do let us know what you decide. How old is the cat, and what's her name?

yola
06-03-2010, 11:34 PM
I can't comment with 1st had authority on the financial thing but as I understand it (you being a single mother) Sean should get a good grant to loan ratio (OH's ex made sure their daughter didn't need to rely on her despite her financial situation being far more advantageous than ours) so I'd look into that in more detail before you make decisions based on income.

As for introducing a new cat - I have 2 oldies (11-ish at the time) and introduced a 1 year old . . . it changed the overall dynamic of the cat household; quite how I'm still struggling to say, but their usage of the house changed and they all were a bit more distant to each other. Nothing hostile apart from a bit of initial hissing, but that soon subsided. Having introduced 3 new cats over about 8 years to 2 existing ones I can say that they've all ended up rubbing along more or less OK. Certainly no fights.

smudgley
06-03-2010, 11:48 PM
If you do take her on, it will take a long time that's for sure. Unlike introducing dogs, who just get on with it, cats take a long time to settle. With cats it's more about the environment than who's in it.

I always use the example of moving house. A dog is not too traumatised by moving house with the same owners, but a cat is more traumatised at moving house. Some cats would prefer to live in their same house with the new occupiers than move to a new location.

We like to think they love us & they obviously do, but we need to be clear on the importance of environment for a cat & that helps us understand why it's such a big deal when they move homes.
Hope it works out well for you if you take her on.

farthing
07-03-2010, 03:47 PM
We have introduced cats to each other over the years and they never really fought outright, most of the time they basically ignored each other.

If you do take her in, I would recommend the use of a feliway, plenty of litter trays and spaces for them to rest away from anybody else- I only have cat beds and food bowls on my windowsils- no room for plants and ornaments.