PDA

View Full Version : Front leg amputation.

jennyfaffa
05-03-2010, 03:01 PM
hi all, i'm new here, and need some advice. my cat scampi had an accident last week, where he managed to cut himself down to the bone on his front left foreleg, severing all the muscle and tendons. we have no idea how he did this, just came home like it! vet says that the only thing could have done that would be glass, but how, not a clue!
he was sedated and operated on, they attempted to repair the damage, and he came home the following day with a cast type bandage on his leg and we were instructed to cage-rest hime for six weeks. well, he went in this morning for a check up, and the vet decided to keep him for the afternoon, sedate him again and have a look at the wound properly. she phoned an hour or so later, and explained that he is very poorly and has a nasty infection that has eaten away at the flesh/tissue in his leg and that the best option for him is amputation. we were quite shocked and upset as we thought he was doing ok! :(
she gave us an option to treat the wound openly but said this might be an uphill battle. so we decided that amputation is the best thing for him.
does anyone here have a cat with a front leg amputation? if so, how was the recovery and how is the cat doing? he is very much an outdoorsy kind of guy, loves to curl up on a lap but hates being confined to indoors - will he be able to go outside and play/run get up to whatever he normally does?! i'm quite worried that he just won't be the same and be able to do everything that he loves! any advice / help much appreciated! :)

yola
05-03-2010, 03:22 PM
Hi, sorry you're joining us with such a worry on your mind. The answer is yes, cats can adapt perfectly with 3 legs - although it can take time.

We do have a couple of folks here that have had amputee cats, I'm sure they'll be along with more practical advice soon.

Mags
05-03-2010, 03:23 PM
Hello Jen, I'm so sorry to hear of Scampi's accident.

I, personally, have had no experience of amputee cats but a couple of members have experienced what you are going through at the moment.

You may find these links to their threads interesting as to how they and their cats responded to amputation. I really hope it helps you to come to terms with the situation.

http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=19409&highlight=amputation

http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=33213&highlight=amputation

jennyfaffa
05-03-2010, 03:38 PM
thanks for that guys, i think it was just a bit of a shock so we didn't really know what questions to ask and so on as we were both quite upset.

angieh
05-03-2010, 03:43 PM
Poor you and poor little Scampi. What a shock. I'm afraid I have no experience, but as the posts above say we do have a couple of members who do and I hope they will be along to offer practical advice.

jennyfaffa
05-03-2010, 03:47 PM
well, i'm definately glad i have joined, as i have had a read thru and there are some very positive stories about cats coping well with amputations, so hopefully he will be ok! just waiting for the vet to call, am slightly concerned as we left him there at 9am and it's now 2.45 and still haven't heard!
thank you all for being so helpful, will keep you all updated of his progress! x

Mags
05-03-2010, 03:56 PM
Good luck with whatever the vet decides is best for Scampi, Jen ....

We'll look forward to your updates...

angieh
05-03-2010, 04:31 PM
Wishing you and Scampi all the best of luck, Jen. Healing vibes coming from me. Kizzy and Pip send comforting purrrrrs.