PDA

View Full Version : Aggressive cat breeds?

lhobbs
05-03-2010, 01:44 PM
A friend of mine says she is thinking of getting a Bengal as a family cat. But aren't these meant to be quite aggressive though? She has two small children, would this breed be suitable?

I get the feeling another breed would be more suitable

xx

farthing
05-03-2010, 03:55 PM
My cousin has a bengal and I wouldn't say he is aggressive as such, but he is very hyper. They seem to be quite a sensitive cat as well, but I'm not sure if they are classed as aggressive.

angieh
05-03-2010, 04:34 PM
There are a few Bengal owners who are or have been members here and from what I have read, they are very active cats and IMO there probably are more suitable breeds for a family with young children. Or what about a rescue????

dandysmom
05-03-2010, 05:54 PM
From all I have heard, I wouldn't suggest a Bengal in that situation. They can be aggressive and hyper: I'd go for a moggy (rescue) or a quiet laid back breed like Persian/Ragdoll ......

Elaine
05-03-2010, 06:30 PM
http://www.bengalcat.co.uk/character.htm

I have never owned a bengal but have chatted to owners of them. No one has mentioned to me that they are any more aggressive than any other breed but they can be difficult cats in the respect that they are extremely lively and active. So many have found themselves in rescue because people love the look of them but just cannt cope with their extremely lively personalities, their ability to climb the curtains and their love of water can also become issues for some people.

pcspik
06-03-2010, 11:26 PM
There are a few Bengal owners who are or have been members here and from what I have read, they are very active cats and IMO there probably are more suitable breeds for a family with young children. Or what about a rescue????

I guess, unless your friend wants to breed/show that she would be better off with a moggie. Especially with young children, she would have plenty enough on her hands without an extremely lively cat.I would question why she wants a breed, as if she wants a pet (as in something just to cuddle and keep her company as well as teach the children respect about animals), then a Moggie would be better, and in some cases healthier (as certain breeds e.g. Persians are prone to certain conditions). Especially if she has one of the longer hair breeds, they need time spending every single day being groomed and if she does not, then the cat will suffer. Moggies also tend to cope with children better. Also some breeds can be demanding, which with young children, she may not have time for, and the cat will probably end up in a rescue centre, which could be so easily avoided if she chose a better breed. Moggies (though saying there are always some that prove you wrong) tend to be less demanding.

Pickle (my male) has some Bengal in him and whereas he is more laid back than the average Bengal as he is mainly just moggie there is no way he would go with young children especially when he has silly little moment.

I do agree with going to a local rescue, a good one should tell you which of their adults are suitable to go with children (and certainly most kittens will).

However if she is really determined to have a breed, then either a Maine Coon, British Short Hair or possibly a Ragdoll, though they have longer coats so need a little more regular grooming (though not as much as say a Persian). Egyptian Maus can be child friendly, however they are rarer breed and are more pricer than other breeds.

Whatever she decides (breed wise) then she is better off researching the breed to see if there are any pitfalls (such as illnesses that a certain breed is prone to). The breed website will have lots of information, and it is a good idea when she visits a breeder to state she is going to have young child (some breeders introduce their kittens to children, so they are more child friendly before going to a home) so they can avoid any kittens from mothers who are not so good with children.

Hollyp
08-03-2010, 03:45 PM
My friend has 2, I wouldn't describe them as aggressive but definitely active cats!

mandyb
08-03-2010, 05:44 PM
Hi
I've got a bengal called cheetah shes ten now so not quite so active. But I would say think twice before having one.
Not sure if anyone on here who's got a bengal have had the same problems as me but I've found her not to be a very clean cat. We have had to make a space for her in the kitchen with a litter tray and her bed. If she was allowed to have the run of the house at night she will wee anywhere. I mean anywhere on the top of my cooker which we had to have replaced. I've looked on the bengal forum and people on there have had the same problems. Why not try a moggie that needs a loving home there are plenty out there. Mandy.