PDA

View Full Version : Worried about Balie (again)

yola
03-03-2010, 10:22 AM
Well, Balie seems to be getting more senile by the day. For the last couple of days he's been pooing on the wooden floor (not in itself unusual) but this morning OH came down and found him asleep on a magazine on the table - again, that's quite typical of Balie.

However, when he came to lift him off to clean the table he discovered that Balie was sleeping in his own wee and was soaked through :(

He seems to be getting smaller, continually huddled in a little ball and unwilling to move. However, he is eating well and on the rare occasions when he goes outside he perks up and starts prowling around the garden.

I have a vet appointment booked for 10am on Friday with him anyway, but was hoping someone might have some insight into why he's becoming so unresponsive.

angieh
03-03-2010, 11:47 AM
I don't like the sound of that Yola. How old is Balie now?

yola
03-03-2010, 12:04 PM
He's just short of 13 years old. Not that old in itself, but he is a Persian and he was always small and was the runt of the litter when a baby.

angieh
03-03-2010, 12:28 PM
Poor chap - fingers crossed for his Friday appointment Yola. I think Merlin was suffering from a bit of senility in the last few years, but he never slept in his own wee. He cried a bit but could always be comforted.

MrsH
03-03-2010, 01:18 PM
I can understand why you're worried Yola. We had a cat who became senile and would wee in unexpected places as she just didn't recognise her body's signals anymore, she didn't recognise hunger either though, at least Balie's eating.

Donna
03-03-2010, 01:25 PM
Sorry to hear Bailie is becoming "not himself". I have never experienced owning an older cat so cannot advise. Just to send ((hugs)) to you and Bailie.

borderdawn
03-03-2010, 01:48 PM
That does sound worrying Yola, I can appreciate your concern. I hope the Vets can find out the cause and help him.

Aquatic
03-03-2010, 01:52 PM
I hope it's nothing to serious and that the vets can help him.
Xxx

pookyandjo
03-03-2010, 02:06 PM
that doesn't sound good Yola.... hopefully the vets can sort out whatever is ailing Balie and point him in the right direction

Mags
03-03-2010, 03:18 PM
Sorry to hear about Baile, Yola ....I hope the vet will be able to help him...

Kazz
03-03-2010, 04:45 PM
I typed out a whole response only to delete it.

What the gist of it was...I have no experience if this as such. But I know Cleo used to curl into a small ball as she got older (after Oz) and when she had a slight water infection plus of course she was slightly senile....sometimes she just appeared to be in another World....when you nudged her back to reality she would look at you as if to say "whats up, whats the matter with you!" or "what am I doing here!" sort of look.

But I agree with the others a vets appointment sounds like it is needed.

But I have to say part of the thing with older cats is simple ailments have bigger consequences than when they were younger. So being under the weather can look to be worse than it is.

Elaine
03-03-2010, 04:48 PM
So sorry to hear about Baile, is it possible he may have a kidney infection?
http://www.harpsie.com/kidney_infections.htm
Hope all goes well at the vets xxx

James
04-03-2010, 02:47 AM
I may be way off the mark here as my experience of urinary incontinence is related to humans not cats. However some of the causes may be similar. Older people & cats may be incontinent because they are not aware that they are urinating, especially when sleeping. If the individual is still aware of their surroundings most other times then incontinence is not a sign that advanced senility will have an overall effect. As you point out, Balie perks up when he goes outside. On the other hand, urinary incontinence can be caused by an infection. A vet will be able to confirm or rule this out as a cause.

As feature of both anatomy (especially in females) or/and old age, a cat may develop a weak bladder sphincter so that they are unable to hold back the leakage of urine. In humans, bladder weakness can sometimes be addressed by HRT. Hormones and some other drugs can act to increase the neurological efficiency in the bladder (give better warning to the brain that the bladder is full).

dandysmom
04-03-2010, 03:16 AM
I'm so sorry to hear this, Yola; 13 isn't that old; I hope it's something medical that the vet can sort. Dear old Patches did exhibit signs of senility, but not urinary incontinence. Hope all goes well Friday, and (((hugs)); it's hard, isn't it seeing them go downhill...

yola
04-03-2010, 10:17 AM
Thanks for your input everyone. James, there are some interesting and potentially valid points in your post which I will takes notes from (and from Elaine's link) and question the vet carefully. I have requested a particular vet who I have a good rapport with so hopefully we can have a meaningful discussion and work something out that will help my poor little lad.

He spent hours curled up asleep on my lap last night; even at one point climbing on himself without me lifing him on. Again, most unlike him as he's not a lap sitter . . . :?

alexgirl73
04-03-2010, 10:27 AM
Hoping the vet manages to find something that can help poor Balie :) xx

Moli
04-03-2010, 10:37 AM
Hope the vet can sort him out Yola....

jacks
04-03-2010, 08:58 PM
Hope everything goes ok at the vets with Baile.
Sending you both hugs. X

EmmaG
04-03-2010, 09:15 PM
Hoping everything goes well at the vets and you find out what is causing this.

farthing
04-03-2010, 10:07 PM
I hope all goes well at the vets tomorrow and it is nothing serious.

Aquatic
04-03-2010, 10:10 PM
I hope everything goes well at the vets tomorrow.
Xxx

calismum
04-03-2010, 10:29 PM
I always like to go to the vet armed with a bit of knowledge and some questions. You sound as if you have prepared well. Hope all goes well and it is a simple infection or similar.

angieh
04-03-2010, 11:16 PM
Yes, good luck tomorrow Yola and Balie.

Shelley123
04-03-2010, 11:54 PM
Hope everything goes ok for Balie, Yola. Sounds like a urine infection to me.

Kazz
05-03-2010, 11:39 AM
Any news from the vets yet Yola?

yola
05-03-2010, 02:27 PM
Hi all. Balie has stayed at the vets as they want to do his bloods. He HAS lost weight; back to 3.3kg from 3.8 late last year, despite having a healthy appetite. He'd eaten and been for a poo/pee just before we went to the vet so they wanted (a) his bladder to fill up to take a sample and (b) any food to be digested so as not to skew the results.

Balie's gums are a little pale and the vet seems to think he is a touch jaundiced - although only just slightly. When she mentioned triaditis my heart plummeted. She didn't seem too concerned though and said many cats respond well to medication for this. I'm so hoping she's right on this . . .

I'm not panicking until they call with findings but I have to admit to being very worried about my lil old man.

angieh
05-03-2010, 02:53 PM
Of course you're worried Yola - it's horrible when our friends are not well. Hope for good news later. Healing vibes for Balie. ((((HUGS)))) for you.

farthing
05-03-2010, 03:44 PM
You must be very worried, but we have seen cats with this illness in our vets and they seem to respond well to treatment, and it sounds like you have caught it early.
Hope all goes well.

alexgirl73
05-03-2010, 05:04 PM
((hugs)) and healing vibes being sent Yola xx

Elaine
05-03-2010, 05:11 PM
Oh Yola, my heart goes out to you and Baile, please try not to think or dwell on what happened with Eva as there was much more going on there than just the triaditis.
From all that I read up on about the condition, MANY cats respond VERY WELL to quick and appropriate treatment.
Try not to worry too much until you know all the reults etc. You have my number if you want to chat at all. xxx

dandysmom
05-03-2010, 05:29 PM
Healing vibes and (((hugs))), Yola.

Kazz
05-03-2010, 06:01 PM
Well sounds like he is in the best place when can he come home? its good you noticed he was a bit under the weather as soon as you did....

Shelley123
05-03-2010, 06:08 PM
Hope they get Balie sorted out soon Yola, it's such a worry when they're ill.

yola
05-03-2010, 07:38 PM
Right, Balie's been leading us all a-dance :roll: Apart from slightly raised protein levels in his urine (they catheterised him and managed to get a splash out) there is absolutely nothing wrong and all his bloods are within normal range. Vet thought he might be aneamic but even that turns out OK!

So I have some cystaid and some sinolux to give him for 5 days to see if he perks up. If the soiling continues and he's still a bit under the weather she's going to try him on some medication that aleviates the symptoms of senility :shock:

He's home and looking very sorry for himself. He's eaten like a horse and he's now asleep on the table. We're joking that we need to put a scarf on him because he's had a load of fur shaved off his neck :lol:

Thank you all for your good wishes . . .

calismum
05-03-2010, 07:48 PM
So pleased to hear he is home and all is ok. Hopefully the meds give him a boost and that all goes well.

They do worry us so don't they.

Elaine
05-03-2010, 07:50 PM
I'm so relieved for you Yola xxx
Fingers crossed that Baile perks up now xxx

farthing
05-03-2010, 07:51 PM
Me too, so glad it treatable. Hope he continues to improve.

Mags
05-03-2010, 08:00 PM
Pleased to hear you have Baile home, Yola ...... I hope all goes well with him...

angieh
05-03-2010, 08:53 PM
Poor Balie - he'll be feeling the cold around his poor neck! Glad all tests come back OK - hope he will respond to meds. Very glad he's home and he's eaten.

random
05-03-2010, 09:00 PM
Oh the wee minx, glad the tests were ok!

dandysmom
05-03-2010, 09:19 PM
A relief that he's been seen and is home again; hope all goes well for your dear old boy, Yola.

Kazz
05-03-2010, 09:27 PM
Well thats good news isn't it.....

pookyandjo
06-03-2010, 05:57 AM
sounds good Yola.... Hopefully he will pick up now

yola
06-03-2010, 09:13 AM
We had an explosion of diarrhoea and vomiting last night . . . not sure whether it was stress or the wormer. He's been starved all night and is now tucking into boiled chicken. Hopefully there'll not be a repeat! I also hope it's not the cystaid that's causing it (I know he's OK with synolux a he's had it before).

pookyandjo
06-03-2010, 11:50 AM
sounds like its more likely the wormer and stress as the cystaid is basically glucosamine which shouldn't cause any problems... but of course... who really knows... i mean they are cats and they do like to worry us!:shock: :roll: :shock:

hopefully the rest overnight and the boiled chicken will do the trick!

angieh
06-03-2010, 12:51 PM
Sorry about the explosion - let's hope that's a one off. Healing vibes for Balie and calming thoughts for you Yola.

dandysmom
06-03-2010, 05:11 PM
Hope he's better today, poor boy.

calismum
06-03-2010, 08:45 PM
How is Balie now Yola?

yola
06-03-2010, 11:21 PM
He's very subdued and has slept alot. We were out a lot of the day and there was a small puddle of both sick and loose poo but most of it was in the littler tray.

Having said that he's eaten both chicken and about 1/2 of a royal canin meat sachet and is curled up on the table after I had to move him off my lap.

I'm going to watch him carefully for the next couple of days and any sign of something different he'll be straight back to the vet.

pookyandjo
07-03-2010, 01:34 PM
any change to balie today Yola?

yola
07-03-2010, 07:41 PM
So far so good Jo. He's sleeping a lot but when awake he does look a bit brighter. He's eaten 1 sachet and some chicken . . . and nothing untoward has happened :D

borderdawn
07-03-2010, 08:07 PM
Sounds promising, hope it continues Yola.

Kazz
07-03-2010, 08:21 PM
That sounds good Yola......

alexgirl73
07-03-2010, 08:43 PM
sounds promising :) Fingers crossed x

dandysmom
07-03-2010, 08:49 PM
Yes, sounds good.

angieh
07-03-2010, 09:11 PM
Hope he keeps progressing. Poor boy.

Shelley123
07-03-2010, 11:48 PM
Glad Balie is feeling a bit better Yola

Moli
07-03-2010, 11:52 PM
Good to hear he is a bit brighter Yola....