PDA

View Full Version : Understanding your pet's blood work

Elaine
02-03-2010, 07:44 PM
Thought this might be beneficial to those who are unsure as to what the blood work tells us about your cat's health

UNDERSTANDING YOUR PET’S BLOODWORK
Complete blood count (CBC)
This is the most common blood test performed on pets and people. It gives information on hydration status, anemia, infection, the blood’s clotting ability, and ability of the immune system to respond. This test is often run on pets with fevers, vomiting diarrhea, weakness, pale gums, or loss of appetite.
HCT (Hematocrit) measures the percentage of red blood cells to detect anemia and dehydration.
HGB and MCHC (Hemoglobin and Mean Corpuscular Hemoglobin Concentration)are oxygen-carrying pigments of red blood cells.
WBC (White Blood Cell Count) measures the cells that fight off infection. Increases or decreases can indicate certain infections or disease processes.
Grans and L/M (Granulocytes and lymphocytes / monocytes) are specific types of white blood cells.
EOS (Eosinophils) are a specific type of white blood cell that may indicate allergic or parasitic conditions.
PLT (Platelets) measures cells that form blood clots.
Blood Chemistries
These common blood serum tests evaluate organ function, electrolyte status, hormone levels, and more. These are important in evaluating pets for a large variety of conditions and are useful in verifying health before any anesthetic procedures.
ALB (Albumin) is a serum protein that helps evaluate hydration, hemorrhage, and intestinal, liver, and kidney disease.
ALKP (Alkaline Phosphatase) elevations may indicate liver damage, Cushing’s disease, and active bone growth in young pets. This test is especially significant in cats.
ALT (Alanine Aminothansferase) is a sensitive indicator of active liver damage but does not indicate the cause.
AMYL (Amylase) elevations can indicate pancreatitis or kidney disease.
BUN/Urea in the UK (Blood Urea Nitrogen) indicates kidney function. An increased blood level is called azotemia and can be caused by kidney, liver, and heart disease, urethral obstruction, shock, and dehydration.
Ca (Calcium) deviations can indicate a variety of diseases. Tumors, hyperparathyroidism, kidney disease, and low albumin are just a few of the conditions that can alter serum calcium.
CHOL (Cholesterol) is used to supplement diagnosis of hypothyroidism, liver disease, Cushing’s disease, and diabetes mellitus.
CREA (Creatinine) reveals kidney function. This test helps distinguish between kidney and non-kidney causes of elevated BUN.
GLU (Glucose) is blood sugar. Elevated levels can be due to stress or diabetes mellitus. Low levels can cause collapse, seizures, or coma.
PHOS (Phosphorus) elevations are often associated with kidney disease, hyperthyroidism, and bleeding disorders.
TBIL (Total Bilirubin) elevations may indicate liver disease or anemia.
TP (Total Protein) indicates hydration status and provides additional information about the liver, kidneys, and infectious diseases.
GLOB (Globulins) is a blood protein that often increases with chronic inflammation and certain diseases.
Na (Sodium) is an electrolyte lost with vomiting, diarrhea, and kidney and Addison’s disease. It also helps indicate hydration status.
K (Potassium) is an electrolyte lost with vomiting, diarrhea, or excessive urination. Increased levels may indicate kidney failure, Addison’s disease, dehydration, and urethral obstruction. High levels can lead to cardiac arrest. Low levels can lead to excessive lethargy and lack of muscle control.
Cl (Chloride)is an electrolyte often lost with vomiting and Addison’t disease. Elevations often indicate dehydration.
T4 (Thyroxine) is a thyroid hormone. Decreased levels often signal hypothyroidism in dogs, while high levels indicate hyperthyroidism in cats.
Cortisol is a hormone that is measured when testing for certain disease conditions.

farthing
02-03-2010, 08:26 PM
Really useful post Elaine, I might copy that and store it somewhere.

Something else to note, is that raised ALT levels can also indicate hyperthyroidism.

calismum
02-03-2010, 08:27 PM
Thanks for that Elaine - really useful.

Elaine
02-03-2010, 08:30 PM
Really useful post Elaine, I might copy that and store it somewhere.

Something else to note, is that raised ALT levels can also indicate hyperthyroidism.

Really? I didnt know that, I thought it had more to do with the liver.

farthing
02-03-2010, 08:32 PM
The hyperthyroidism probably has an effect on the liver and raises that enzyme, don't know why though ( what a lazy mind I have.:lol: )

Anyway, when mine get sampled to check the levels and we do a general bloods too, if the ALT is high the thyroid is high.

Kim
02-03-2010, 09:07 PM
Thanks for that Elaine. I paid £97 this morning for my Birman Misty to have full bloods done. He is nearly 13, incredibly thin, but eats & drinks loads. I was thinking hyperthyroidism, but the vet wasn't so sure. When the results come back that info should really help me! :)

Elaine
02-03-2010, 09:36 PM
You are welcome Kim, I hope all goes well for your kitty xxx

Farthing, found this which helped explain why the ALT would be important. I knew the Urea and Creatinine should always be monitered but stupidly hadnt associated it with the Liver function.

http://www.greendale.co.uk/images/diagnosing%20and%20treating%20hyperthyroidism%20in %20cats.pdf

dandysmom
02-03-2010, 10:52 PM
Thanks for posting that valuable information, Elaine. I'm going to save it.

calista24
03-03-2010, 12:45 AM
Excellent and helpful post Elaine, little Cali had one y'day morning prior to her spay ;
All went ahead so guessing all is well, and she's quickly getting back to herself (thank goodness).

It goes to prove that with this many parameters, no pet should be neglected nor denied good nutrition.

With a cat, always good to read up on what you can do to ensure really good kidney/liver function ;)

Going to save too, and may ask the vet now ,even though she is only 8 months,if there is anything for us to look out for

Thanks again

yola
03-03-2010, 10:28 AM
Thanks for all that info Elaine and also the further links.

With the uncertainty over Balie's condition a the moment (although bloods were done 9 months ago with nothing advserse showing) this will give me some guidance on what to talk to the vet about.

angieh
03-03-2010, 11:49 AM
Great info Elaine. I'll be saving that too.