PDA

View Full Version : Kitten problem

jamie18
28-02-2010, 07:53 PM
I brought my new kitty cat home yesterday. Shes been eating wet food and going to the litter tray all fine and has even had a little play earlier. The problem is shes not had a drink since yesterday morning. Ive tryed her with water and kitten milk and even tryed soaking some cat biscuits in kitten milk but shes not interested.

Is this someting to be worried about? I dont want her getting dehydrated as shes only little. Will she be getting enough water from her wet food?
Ive never had this problem with any of my cats before. so not sure what to do :? :?

calismum
28-02-2010, 08:01 PM
I'd not worry too much about her not drinking if she's not having dry food.

Try adding a little bit of water to her wet food - not too much.

Always have fresh water on offer. She'll soon get the hang of it.

Elaine
28-02-2010, 08:32 PM
She is probably getting enough fluid from the wet food, I wouldnt worry too much, as CM said try adding a little water to the wet food just to keep her fluid intake topped up. She should be ok, when do we get to see the pics????;)

dandysmom
28-02-2010, 09:18 PM
I agree about the little water in the wet food; makes more gravy; Leia loves it that way.

angieh
28-02-2010, 09:25 PM
I don't think you need worry if she's not having dry food. As the others have said try adding a little more water to her food - it can be slightly warm too - blood heat not more.

Pics would be lovely! We do appreciate photos here.

dandysmom
28-02-2010, 11:20 PM
Second the pic request!

James
01-03-2010, 06:15 AM
I agree with what has been said re. her obtaining sufficient fluid from wet food, especially if you add a little water. Putting out fresh water each just in case is probably a good idea in hot weather. Signs of dehydration can include a lack of elasticity to the skin, dry and sunken eyes, and a dry mouth and nose.

Our tabby Boodle (young adult female) drinks very little, but does eat wet food. She won't touch cat milk. We are about to try her with a water fountain as cats often prefer running water. I have dug out my waterproofs in case she thinks it is a new toy! :)

Oh, I also back the calls for some pics :D

dandysmom
01-03-2010, 05:23 PM
I have a very tiny little lily pond in my back yard and all of mine drank avidly from it. yuk! Apparently it must have tasted good to them.....

HappyKatz
01-03-2010, 05:37 PM
I agree with the advice the other members have given as well :cat27

Just an idea - You could try putting ice cubes in a water bowl & moving them around with your finger to show her the fun floating things in the water. Maybe even try gently putting a little water on her nose so she knows whats in the bowl. Seems to encourage kitties to drink :) It may or may not work but thats how we get our cats to drink more water :-D

jamie18
01-03-2010, 06:01 PM
Thanks for all the advice. Think i might try putting some ice cubes in make it abit more fun for her. I'l be putting some pics up tonight once i get them on the pc :):)

Aquatic
02-03-2010, 12:15 PM
Felix doesn't drink from his bowl but drinks from the dogs bowl instead I don't know why I think it's because it's a bigger bowl.

angieh
02-03-2010, 01:14 PM
Has anyone noticed their cats having trouble drinking from a stainless steel bowl because (presumably) it is more difficult to see the water level???? Merlin had this problem, but he was an old boy and his eye sight was probably not too good.

Kazz
02-03-2010, 02:06 PM
Mine never drank from the dogs SS Bowl....always their own plastic ones. But they would pat the water in the dogs bowl...but it was big in comparrison to them, like a little lake.

dandysmom
02-03-2010, 05:10 PM
Dr. Fox recommends not using plastic water bowls for cats as something toxic (cannot remember what it's called, think it's the same thing that they're complaining about in baby bottles) can leach out. Use metal, china or glass.

Also, cats are farsighted and sometimes have difficulty seeing something directly under their nose. Many of my cats would tap the water level in the bowl with a paw before drinking.

jamie18
03-03-2010, 09:01 PM
Marie has eventually got the hang of drinkin out of her bowl. She relized that the water was safe and that she could drink it after running into the bowl and soaking herself lol

angieh
03-03-2010, 09:04 PM
Great news! Well done Marie.

calismum
03-03-2010, 09:40 PM
Aw - clever girl Marie