PDA

View Full Version : What do you like in your sandwich?

calismum
28-02-2010, 03:07 PM
Was making a sandwich earlier and got to thinking what my favoutite is?

Bread:- either crusty white or crusty wholegrain bread
Spread:- got to be butter
Filling:- aromatic salad greens, mozarella cheese, grilled chicken, peppadews, and basil mayo.

So. . . . . what's yours?

Kazz
28-02-2010, 04:30 PM
OHHH....you've got me thinking now....

yola
28-02-2010, 04:35 PM
Bread - either multiseed brown or rye bread

Spread - butter, none of this stuff in plastic tubs ;)

Filling - well I don't have sandwiches that often but usually something simple like egg mayo or tuna mayo. I used to adore prawn and beetroot but somehow that's lasped (must make amends)!!

angieh
28-02-2010, 04:51 PM
What a good thread! I like multigrain bread or my new favourite spelt with sunflower seeds - then I don't have any butter but a bit of light mayonnaise. Filling can be almost anything - a nice bit of tender beef, or "proper" ham or chicken or tuna or salmon .... (I could go on) with loads of green salad such as watercress and rocket - adds that bit of zing! Sometimes I have to have extra salad because it won't all fit in the sandwich!

When I was a poor student in Croydon I used to go to a sandwich bar and my favourite then was banana, honey and cream cheese. A bit sickly and gloopy for my taste now, but I do like a banana and blackcurrant jam sandwich if I'm not feeling very well!!! Guess it's the sugar rush.

Kazz
28-02-2010, 05:14 PM
I like Brown bread, wholemeal...butter not a lot only a bit but have to have butter...proper butter.

The filling can be anything, I like proper beef or pork (cold Sunday roast ideal) or ham with piccalli.
Also like turkey sarnies with stuffing (best bit of Chrismas - Easter food)
I like bannana sarnies...

When I was little I liked Crisp sarnies too..

Also like brown rolls..with butter, cold chicken, watercress, tomato, little bit of dressing (at the moment sweet chilli)
and mayo....Yummy. Which I try to take on any trip, by car or train.

I also like tinned red salmon brown bread sarnies with cherry tomatoes on the side.....:)

dandysmom
28-02-2010, 05:48 PM
Great thread! My default sandwich is tuna salad on a sesame seeded bun or sub roll with butter of course. Love BLTs on white toast, club sandwiches, bacon and cheese on the bun, liverwurst on white toast with Dijon mustard, sardines also with mustard, and tinned salmon on white with butter, or white meat chicken on the bun with butter. This is making me hungry, almost lunch time here!

dandysmom
28-02-2010, 05:55 PM
Basil mayo? Forgot to ask, how do you make that? Sounds delicious. I make basil vinegar in the Summer, would love a mayo recipe.....

calismum
28-02-2010, 06:07 PM
This is the basil mayo recipe I use.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2979/bay-scented-prawns-with-basil-mayonnaise

angieh
28-02-2010, 06:24 PM
I'm going to bookmark that basil mayo recipe CM! I love growing basil in the greenhouse ...... and who knows, outdoors if we get a nice hot summer (PLEASE!)

dandysmom
28-02-2010, 09:01 PM
Thanks, CM! Can hardly wait to try that when the basil is growing. Less than two weeks before I start my seeds!

pinklizzy
28-02-2010, 09:50 PM
One of my favourite sandwich fillings is cheese (grated) and salad cream! :oops:

angieh
01-03-2010, 03:46 PM
Basil mayo? Forgot to ask, how do you make that? Sounds delicious. I make basil vinegar in the Summer, would love a mayo recipe.....

This is probably a silly question Eileen - but how to you make that???

The reason I ask is that we made chilli oil for the first time last summer with some chillies that a friend grew. When I was looking up about making flavoured oils and vinegars, there was a bit about adding dried ingredients or heating in order to avoid botulism!

HappyKatz
01-03-2010, 04:07 PM
Great thread CM :smt023
I like lettuce, cheese, & ranch sandwiches. Turkey & provolone cheese on toasted bread. Fried bologna & mayo. Potato chips & pickles. Now I want a sandwich :-D

Phoenix
01-03-2010, 04:09 PM
Tuna mayo (with salad cream instead of mayonaise) or cheese and pickle :oops:

yola
01-03-2010, 04:12 PM
My fave thing to have on toast (which I tend to have more than sandwiches as rye bread toasts marvellously) is low fat cream cheese with a slice of smoked salmon on top, a splash of lemon juice and a sprinkling of black pepper.

Yummmm :)

angieh
01-03-2010, 04:25 PM
That sounds wonderful Yola, and rather POSH!

gail
01-03-2010, 04:26 PM
mmm, fresh crusty bread with butter, egg and salad cream and cress with salt and black pepper mmm think i could eat one now

dandysmom
01-03-2010, 05:10 PM
This is probably a silly question Eileen - but how to you make that???

The reason I ask is that we made chilli oil for the first time last summer with some chillies that a friend grew. When I was looking up about making flavoured oils and vinegars, there was a bit about adding dried ingredients or heating in order to avoid botulism!

EEk! Botulism never crossed my mind! I've been making basil vinegar for years with no problems. Couldn't be simpler: just pluck some leaves, give them quick rinse and shake dry and put them in the bottle of vinegar to steep. It keeps forever; the leaves turn a weird darkish color but the flavor is lovely. If it's your standard 16 oz. bottle, I'd say 8 - 10 leaves, largish ones, more if smaller.

I've never done my own chili oil, buy it in the Chinese section of the market. How did you make yours?

yola
01-03-2010, 05:11 PM
That sounds wonderful Yola, and rather POSH!

Not so posh LOL!

I buy the Waitrose packs of 10 slices of toast-sized smoked salmon squares. Costs about £3.39 . . . and means the boys get their weekly quota of oily fish :D

Aquatic
02-03-2010, 12:30 PM
I have either white or brown bread.
with tuna/chicken/ham with salad and tomatoes and mayonnaise :-D