PDA

View Full Version : Scabby neck?

broox159
28-02-2010, 12:11 AM
Rogue went in for her Spay this Wednesday. She is doing well, wearing her buster collar with no problems. We take it off her a couple of times a day so she can have a clean everywhere other than the wound area. I noticed today though that she has lots of little scabs all over the back of her neck. These definately were'nt there before she went for her op. When i scratch the back of her neck it goes all dandruffy too....could she be having a reaction to her anti biotics or something else?

James
28-02-2010, 12:38 AM
The allergy could be due to the medication or the stitches, but what you describe is very localised so it could be an allergic reaction to the collar. I would check with the vet.

angieh
28-02-2010, 01:01 AM
My dear old Merlin had to wear a collar after he had a cyst removed from his face. I was worried about the angle that the edge of the collar sat on his neck and was making him sore. My vet put a strip of self adhesive tape (like elastoplast) all around the edge and it cured the problem. Merlin wore his collar until the stitches came out and there were no more problems due to soreness or rubbing.

broox159
28-02-2010, 03:29 AM
I guess it could be the collar...we have put it on using a regular cat collar as the vet tied it on with string?! It is rather big on her, maybe its rubbing...

calismum
28-02-2010, 12:05 PM
It is best to get it as snug as poss without being tight then it is less likely to rub round.

Does she scratch at it when it's on? could be she is starting off a skin reaction.

Of course then there is the query re reaction to her meds which I can't comment on.

I'd try and leave the collar off as much as poss if I was around to watch her. I'd also try the sticky tape angieh suggested - it won't make things any worse.

Call the vet tomorrow and ask their opinions on allergies/reactions.