PDA

View Full Version : Summer Bulbs, Anyone?

dandysmom
26-02-2010, 09:45 PM
I've been browsing thru a catalogue I get, and as usual am trying how to fit a pound of plants into an ounce of space. I didn't do any bulbs this Autumn, I've gotten so disgusted with the squirrels getting 90% of them, but ... the triumph of hope over experience; am ordering some for Summer. Right now I'm getting baby glads, alstroemerias and two pot plants: Jacobean lily and Amazon lily. Am debating about a Clivia ...

Anyone doing bulbs for Summer?

Moli
26-02-2010, 11:09 PM
I got yet another catalogue in this morning......Not keen on bulbs, but am looking for different seeds this year, something new....

calismum
26-02-2010, 11:09 PM
I have decided this is a 'no buy' year. :lol: I have over the last three years bought loads for the garden but where we are is so windy and exposed that a lot of them don't make it.:(

I've done a planting plan and will be using this year to take stock of what does and doesn't 'do'.

- believe that if you can - I'll need to remind myself of that each time I'm in Garden centre!! :lol:

Had never heard of a Clivia - had a google - yes, you must have one lol.

Aquatic
26-02-2010, 11:11 PM
I don't buy any seeds or bulbs or plants. I don't really bother much with the garden

Moli
26-02-2010, 11:12 PM
I have to find a new garden arch soon, before my climbers start climbing, the old one has fallen to bits!

dandysmom
26-02-2010, 11:34 PM
Mags has a Clivia, it's stunning. I probably will manage to squeeze one in. It does pass a cold Winter afternoon nicely looking at seed/plant catalogues.

Mags
26-02-2010, 11:50 PM
Mags has a Clivia, it's stunning. I probably will manage to squeeze one in. It does pass a cold Winter afternoon nicely looking at seed/plant catalogues.
My Clivia ;)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/Mags40/Garden/DSCF0345.jpg

calismum
26-02-2010, 11:52 PM
Oh Mags, that is gorgeous. I can feel my no buy resolve melting away already!

Mags
26-02-2010, 11:54 PM
Oh Mags, that is gorgeous. I can feel my no buy resolve melting away already!
I've had that one about 6 years and sometimes it has flowered twice a year .... it really is a lovely bright colour:)

Moli
26-02-2010, 11:57 PM
My Clivia ;)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/Mags40/Garden/DSCF0345.jpg

That is simply stunning Mags....:)

dandysmom
27-02-2010, 12:02 AM
Have you repotted it, Mags? Or is it like the amaryllis and agapanthus in liking to be pot-bound?

Kazz
27-02-2010, 12:06 AM
I have to find a new garden arch soon, before my climbers start climbing, the old one has fallen to bits!
Tell you what was nice in arches I saw last year Moli, one made of copper tubing.....:-D ...honest in the garden looked really nice ...different.....

Kazz
27-02-2010, 12:08 AM
I have decided this is a 'no buy' year. :lol: I have over the last three years bought loads for the garden but where we are is so windy and exposed that a lot of them don't make it.:(

I've done a planting plan and will be using this year to take stock of what does and doesn't 'do'.

- believe that if you can - I'll need to remind myself of that each time I'm in Garden centre!! :lol:

Had never heard of a Clivia - had a google - yes, you must have one lol.

I am with you nothing new of the garden this year I want to see whats where and replan.....I have a master plan only thing is need to get the energy to do it. The garden is a mess....was last year and I am kicking myself for not doing it then.

But slowly slowly....redesign garden.

Mags
27-02-2010, 12:09 AM
Have you repotted it, Mags? Or is it like the amaryllis and agapanthus in liking to be pot-boud?
I've never repotted it Eileen ...... it's actually grown quite big now so I'll have to do some reading up about it;)

Kazz
27-02-2010, 12:12 AM
How is the baby acer Mags?

Mags
27-02-2010, 12:14 AM
How is the baby acer Mags?
Baby acer is now Big acer, Kazz :lol: It's still wrapped up warm under its winter fleece jacket;)

How are yours doing now?

Kazz
27-02-2010, 12:34 AM
They are wrapless and facing the weather in the nude...

pookyandjo
27-02-2010, 03:41 AM
Have you repotted it, Mags? Or is it like the amaryllis and agapanthus in liking to be pot-bound?

agapanthus is almost a weed here in Australia... you see it in nearly everyones garden... and growing on the sides of the the road... i love the green foliage of it though... and it responds VERY well to our drought conditions.... you could say that it thrives on neglect