PDA

View Full Version : Just had Mustard to the vet, not good news.

farthing
26-02-2010, 04:33 PM
We took Mustard, our cat who has toxo, because he has had a touch of diarrhoea for a couple of days- which does happen because of his condition. However today while grooming him he was very growly, hissy and threatening to bite- something he never does.
We took him in because I assumed he was sore, a stress in itself because he usually messes himself on the way. I used a top opening box and kept the lid off, and thankfull he was fine.

The vet is not too worried about his diarrhoea, but is quite concerned about him having a wheezy chest, something i haven't noticed, and he has a temp.
He had s slight heart murmer, but it is now a grade 3 ( they go from 1-6, 1 being slight). He is on steriods for his toxo, but when used with a heart murmer can cause heart failure, and I guess this is the worry now, that he is starting to have a build up of fluid in his lungs- I have never noticed him being bad until today, so feel awful- AGAIN.

The only other thing I can think of is it's a bug, because Fluffy is also a bit snottery, although it is URI. He will be very susceptible to any infections with being on steroids. We ahve to keep him on steroids for the toxo.

He is now on frusemide to take down the fluid, and has to go back on Monday. It is very hard to know what is going on with Mustard, because of his neurological probelms, but I've had a feeling he wouldn't be with us for much longer- I hope I'm wrong.:cry:

Elaine
26-02-2010, 04:53 PM
Oh no, I'm so sorry Louise xxx A cat with toxo was never going to be an easy one, but you do what you can xxx

angieh
26-02-2010, 05:20 PM
Sorry to hear the news farthing.

dandysmom
26-02-2010, 05:32 PM
I'm so sorry too, farthing .......

Donna
26-02-2010, 06:29 PM
I hope the treatment works - good luck Mustard!

calismum
26-02-2010, 08:17 PM
You will, as always, do the best for him. Hope things improve a bit.

jan
26-02-2010, 08:55 PM
Sending all good vibes and lots of love and try and keep positive. Thinking of you both Jan x

Kay
26-02-2010, 09:34 PM
Sorry to here about thi added set bac for Mustard. I can sympathise with the heart murmur, my Tate had a grade 5 one, it makes a lot of treatments difficult to use.

Thinking of you and Mustard. {{{HUGS}}} to you both. xx

Tink
26-02-2010, 10:25 PM
I'm sorry, sending lots of love to you both.

Shelley123
26-02-2010, 10:28 PM
Sorry to hear about Mustards problems, i hope his treatment makes him feel better.

pookyandjo
27-02-2010, 03:29 AM
sorry abut Mustard Farthing... hoping that vets sort out what is best for him and that he responds accordingly

take care xox

Aquatic
27-02-2010, 11:25 AM
I'm sorry to hear about Mustard. x

FayRose
27-02-2010, 07:12 PM
I'm so sorry to read this about Mustard. Fingers very firmly crossed that he can be sorted and still have some happy and comfortable life with you. xxx

James
28-02-2010, 12:46 AM
All the best for Mustard and for you too - in view of his health problems he really is in the best place where he is loved and cared for.

farthing
28-02-2010, 11:11 AM
Thanks everyone.

Mustard still seems wheezy and is pretty quiet, although still eating well. He is back tomorrow for another check up.

I will be taking Spice back as well because her ear infection seems no better- if not worse. She is eating very little and I am very concerned about her. We're just off to tesco's to buy some more chicken, but I don't know if her teeth are as much a problem as her ears.

Thankfully Fluffy is much brighter, her heart is not bounding like it was and although she is a bit snuffly, she more like herself again.

Samson, is retaining fluid again I think, but very happy. I don't think he can be on diuretics because of his CRF, but will ask the vet tomorrow.

Tabatha has kept very well, and it seems like her swollen thyroid is not causing her problems swallowing, I think she just keeps picking up little respiratory infections. She is in fact looking really good since her vidalta was increased to 30, and is not so revenously hungry.

FayRose
28-02-2010, 05:59 PM
Crikey ... :shock: You are doing wonders with all these poor little pusscats. Well done you and gentle hugs for all those poorly little things. xxx

Shelley123
28-02-2010, 06:32 PM
My goodness Louise, you have your work cut out !
Hope Mustard and Spice go on alright at the vets.
I'm glad Fluffy is better and Tabatha also.

Elaine
28-02-2010, 08:46 PM
Louise, you and your hubby must be knackered with all the worry and work you have with the animals. Try and take care of yourselves as well as the animals, you do alot of good work with them. xxx

dandysmom
28-02-2010, 09:03 PM
Elaine has expressed what I feel too, farthing.......

Shelley123
01-03-2010, 05:49 PM
How are things today Louise ?

farthing
01-03-2010, 08:45 PM
Hi, thanks for asking.

I'm taking Mustard back tomorrow, because the vet who saw him last time was on a half day, he is booked in for tomorrow night. Mustard is no different, I don't think, but it is hard to tell because he drools a lot due to his condition. I got some puppy pads for him, which are placed next to the litter trays, and they seem to be a success. He often doesn't manage to get into the litter tray, although the wee lad does try, at least it is much easier to clean up now.

I took Spice in this morning, and she has been given a steroid injection, something they wanted to avoid because, she too, has a heart murmer. She goes back on Wednesday for her accupuncture, and the vet can re- assess then. It was a bit embarrassing when I was telling the vet how worried I was because she would only eat chicken, hand fed- and it turns out she's put on a bit of weight.:oops:

I then had to take Karly rat in in the afternoon because I noticed one of her front teeth was very long, she also has a mammary lump I wanted checked. She got her teeth trimmed, and has to be re-examined next week and assessed for an op to remove the lump- a bit of a worry because she is 2.

Fluffy is back in tomorrow too, her eyes are really gunky and she's still a bit snottery. She has had 3 betamox injections, so I just want to check if she needs to get anymore.

God knows when I'll find time to get Snowy rabbit in for his dental and Candy for her booster, annual bloods and dental check- it will be a sedation job unless the vet wants to lose a hand.:lol:

Shelley123
01-03-2010, 10:36 PM
Hope Mustard is getting better, puppypads sound a good idea.
No wonder Spice has put on weight, she's a lucky Cat being handfed Chicken ;)
Hope Karly can have her lump safely removed if neccessary.
Last but not least i hope Fluffy goes on ok tomorrow.
It sounds like animal hospital at your house Louise ;)

jacks
01-03-2010, 10:51 PM
Your one special lady Louise looking after your poorly family.
Thinking of you all.Hugs to you all.:bighug:

Mistleto's-mum
01-03-2010, 11:00 PM
Sending lots of love and hugs to you all xxxxx

borderdawn
02-03-2010, 12:16 AM
Very best of luck for tomorrow, I hope Mustard feels better soon.

dandysmom
02-03-2010, 12:33 AM
Oh bless, so many worries...(((hugs)))

angieh
02-03-2010, 11:25 AM
Thinking of you and your tribe today farthing. Hope all goes well.

farthing
02-03-2010, 08:12 PM
Just back from the vet with Mustard and the vet is really pleased with him, his lungs are much better.

He is now on Frusemide and Fortekor for life, as well as his steriod tablet every other day.

Didn't get Fluffy to the vet because the bloomin car wouldn't go into first gear, and I didn't want to drive it- so I will get her in tomorrow evening, Fluffy was coming to work with me, whereas Mustard was going to the main branch so I could cuddle him while Mike drove ( he gets very stressed stuck in the carrier and messes himself).

Mike is working from home tomorrow because we have Smudge and Spice in for their acupuncture in the morning and then Fluffy will go in the evening.

Still very worried about Spice, she has not eaten much today at all and I had hoped the steriod would stimulate her appetite. I will get her rechecked tomorrow, in the meantime I will give her a vit B injection and the vet has given me an antihistamine tablet because that should stimulate her appetite as well.

I'm going to have tea and re-write my tablet list, because it is getting very confusing!

Shelley123
05-03-2010, 12:17 AM
Glad the vets pleased with Mustard.
How have you gone on with Fluffy and Spice?

farthing
05-03-2010, 03:51 PM
We are still quite worried about Fluffy and Spice.

Fluffy appears to have an infection of some sort and has been given a long acting antibiotic, we also have to apply eye drops. Her heart is still racing so it looks like she may not be responding to the vidalta. We may have to try felimazole again, because she was never really given a chance with it by the previous vet. If that fails she will have to have a thyroidectomy, which to be honest, I'm not that keen on.

Spice is still not eating much, although she is eating something. She has had another steroid injection and cerenia injections, to try and help with any dizziness present. I still think her teeth are a problem, and her head tilt is still as bad. I am very concerned about her, but at least she is eating, we discovered tesco's had some hi-life petite pate and she is managing to take it quite well, and loves the cat milk.

Candy went in today for her annual vaccine, blood test and dental check. The vet phone to say she had a lot of plaque, so she's had her teeth done too- clean bill of health for her, which is great because she has IBD.:D

angieh
05-03-2010, 04:46 PM
You are a wonder farthing! How many meds per day do you have to give to your various cats?

Glad to hear the vet is pleased with Mustard and sorry to hear about Fluffy and Spice. Good news for Candy though.

farthing
05-03-2010, 05:02 PM
Do you really want the whole list, at the moment-

Spice- am, 1 pink felimazloe, 1 rubenal, 1/4 istin, 1/2 noroclav, 1/2 scoop ipakitine in food.
pm- 1 pink felimazole, 1 rubenl, 1/2 noroclav, 1/2 scoop ipakitine- also surolan in ears twice daily

Smudge- am- 2 orange felimazole, 1 rubenal and ipakitine powder.
pm- 1 orange fel, 1 pink fel, 1 rubenal, ipakitine powder.

Samson- am- 1 X 15mg vidalta, 1 x 10mg vidatla, I rubenal, ipakitine powder.
pm- 1 rubenal and ipakitne powder.

Fluffy- am- 2 x 15mg vidalta, tiacil in eyes twice a day.

Mustard-am- 1/2 fusemide
pm- 1/2 fusemide, 1/2 fortekor, and a steroid (pred) every other day)

Jimmy- am- 1 x 10 mg vidalta

Tabatha- am- 2x 15 mg vidalta.

Misty- am- 1 rubenal and ipakitine powder.
pm- 1 rubenal and ipakitine powder.
the 4 CRF cats are on a renal diet, the also get regular vit B12 injections.
Spice and Smudge also get acupuncture.

Dogs-
Deli -am- samilyn sachet in hepatic food
pm- 1/2 previcox in hepatic food.

Corrie- phenobarbitone twice a day.

Bruno- synoquin tablet once a day.

We also have 3 goats on danilon, which is an anti-inflammatory drug for horses, the goats have arthritis.

Nutmeg is on betamox antibiotic injections for an abscess just now too.

dandysmom
05-03-2010, 05:27 PM
OMG! Unbelievable. Are they all amenable to pilling/injections? I could never cope with that, my hat's off to you!

angieh
05-03-2010, 05:59 PM
As I said, you're a wonder farthing! I debate for days about worming pills! .................

Shelley123
05-03-2010, 06:12 PM
Glad Candy has a clean bill of health.
Poor little Spice, i hope she is feeling better soon.
Also hope Fluffy gets sorted soon, my Tom is on Felimazole and seems to have stabalised on it.

calismum
05-03-2010, 07:45 PM
Farthing - that meds list leaves me speechless!

As we are always telling you - how can you ever doubt that what you are doing is anything other than wonderful?

yola
05-03-2010, 09:02 PM
Good Lord - that makes my head spin! You and Mike are marvels with your animals . . . I'm really full of admiration!

farthing
05-03-2010, 10:30 PM
To be honest, we don't really think about it being anything unusual, just a bit difficult to when meds change and we have to change our memories!

All th animals are very good with treatment, the only one I would be concerned about is Candy- she's a spitfire- but I also think she would eventually come round, I may be lacking a few fingers by then though!
Mustard, due to his condition can be a problem, because of he muscle tension, but I use a pill giver to get the tablets down.

This is nothing really, we've had a rabbit and a rat on inhalers before now.

pookyandjo
06-03-2010, 06:22 AM
my goodness.... what a list!! you and your OH deserve a medal!

glad that the vet was pleased with Mustard...

have you ever tried Spice with Periactin (Cyproheptadine) Tinky Winky had IBD and would refuse to eat from time to time and we would always have good results with the periactin when ever we used it.

farthing
07-03-2010, 03:38 PM
Thankfully we seem to have kick started Spice's appetite again, although she still has a severe head tilt. She has been on noroclav for quite a few days now, but no improvement. I'm not sure what we can do next. She is such a poor little soul and so thin.
The Hi-life pate in salmon flavour is well appreciated, but she is only eating a tin a day and it is a small 85g tin, as well as cat milk. I am hoping she will continue to eat more, but I'm still convinced her teeth are a big problem.

Fluffy's eyes seem a bit better, but she is still not herself. She seems very sore on her right side but the vet thinks it is just because she is so thin with her thyroid problem. I'm not sure about this, although she showed no reaction when he manipulated her legs. I guess we need to sort out her thyroid problems first, and if I still feel she has an issue then, put her in for x-rays, we don't want to be putting her under while in this condition anyway.