PDA

View Full Version : Ecover products

yola
26-02-2010, 12:09 PM
Right, to answer Angie's Daily Thread question, I use Ecover products for dishwasher (tablets + rise aid), conditioner for clothes washing, I sometimes use the washing tabs - have learnt they're not quite as effective on heavily soiled items, but ordinary dirt is OK. The conditioner is not heavily perfumed which to me is a good thing. I really dislike these 'frangranced' products.

We had our bank manager (woman) in with a colleaugue the other day and she left early. I was amazed to find that the scent which I thought was her perfume remained. Obviously the male colleague's missus had been washing his shirt in this perfumed conditioner. Phew - he smelt most flowery!!

I use the 'Squirteco' surface cleaner for when I don't need antibacterial; i.e., anticbac when cats have done do-dos around the place. I don't like to completely sanitise the house with antibac as (a) I think exposure to some germs are good (b) not sure what nasties are in these products.

So those are my thoughts/opinions on Ecover . . . :roll:

Oh, btw . . . this isn't 4x4 guilt is it? Aparently those of us who drive 4x4s conciously or otherwise overcompesate with the recylcing, green products etc. Well, so the Daily Mail says anyways :lol:

angieh
26-02-2010, 01:57 PM
Oh, btw . . . this isn't 4x4 guilt is it? Aparently those of us who drive 4x4s conciously or otherwise overcompesate with the recylcing, green products etc. Well, so the Daily Mail says anyways :lol:

Thanks for the info Yola - I do agree about other people's perfumes as I find they can affect my breathing.

And as to above, well, :-D :-D :-D I don't really think so! I've been "thinking green" for years re composting etc. and it's just a step on from there really!

angieh
26-02-2010, 02:13 PM
While we are talking green cleaning products ..... I know Moli mentioned white vinegar in a different context a few days ago (cat spraying) but does anyone else use vinegar for cleaning or bicarbonate of soda?

Mags
26-02-2010, 03:05 PM
I use white vinegar to descale my steamer and also to clean out the microwave.
A diluted solution is also good for wiping round plastic boxes to get rid of the plastic smell.

I always use bicarbonate of soda to clean out the fridge.

I wouldn't be without either as they have so many good uses around the house.

Did anyone use to soak their old pennies in vinegar years ago? They always came up sparkling clean and as good as new!:lol:

MrsH
26-02-2010, 06:28 PM
I tried Ecover detergent some years ago but was really disappointed with the result. I have a lot of white household bedding and towels and the Ecover just didn't do a good enough job.

As to the vinegar question, I've watched Aggie and Kim, so now I clean my windows with a white vinegar solution, it works really well too! :D

I'm thinking of getting a water-softener installed as we live in a very hard water area. Does anyone know if this is "green" or "un-green"? I have to use extra detergent and descaling products at the moment and would see a reduction of these, but how "green" is the water-softener itself?

angieh
26-02-2010, 07:03 PM
That's an interesting Q, MrsH re the water softener. I suspect the products have come a long way since my parents had one installed in their house ........... 70's or 80's perhaps. In those days, use of a separate mains connected tap was recommended for drinking water, especially for those with heart conditions.

We have a magnet on our mains supply which is meant to reduce the build up of limescale, but I can't say that it's brilliant. We still have to flush out the kettle etc.

MrsH
26-02-2010, 09:03 PM
Yes Angieh, we will have to leave a tap in the kitchen and also the garden tap out of the softening system, I believe this is for health reasons. The system we'll be installing is non-electric and works on "reverse osmosis" (:smt102 ) using blocks of salt. The system is refreshed automatically by a brine solution which removes the hard deposits which have collected and flushes them away down the drain. It's this last bit that's got me concerned.

yola
26-02-2010, 09:18 PM
MrsH, I too have all-white, cotton bedlinen and have found Ecover to be excellent. I wash on a hot setting though . . . none of this 30 degrees stuff they're trying to promote ;)
I first tried Ecover 20-odd years ago and it really wasn't good - they've obviously been working on it in the interim though :D

angieh
26-02-2010, 09:22 PM
I've just Googled "how green are water softeners" - it's a very large subject MrsH!!!