PDA

View Full Version : Coal or log open fire

calismum
25-02-2010, 07:29 PM
Talking to a neighbours daughter today and I mentioned how much I love my coal fire.

She said she would have no idea how to light an open fire and I just thought that was quite sad :( As time goes on there will be fewer people enjoying the lovely feeling of sitting in front of an open fire.

angieh
25-02-2010, 07:58 PM
We had a log burner installed in the summer of 08 and have never regretted it. The whole issue of what types of logs/kindling and coal (ours can use either) comes into play and you meet some "interesting" types!

Definitely something to have - comforting and nothing to do with the gas and electricity suppliers!

yola
25-02-2010, 08:07 PM
I love lighting our fire - I'm not always successful as I sometimes get the firelighter/coal ratio wrong :oops:

But it's the best thing to stretch out in front of it once it's going . . . we tend not to use wood as even dried logs spit and I have quite large gaps in my floorboards and the fire has been known to spit over the top of the guard; I just can't take the risk!

dandysmom
25-02-2010, 09:02 PM
I have a wood burning fireplace; used to use it regularly but the chimney needs sweeping and I keep forgetting to have it done. It would have been a godsend when the boiler was out. There is nothing like the smell of the burning logs and the beautiful flames dancing ,,,,,,

Kazz
25-02-2010, 09:40 PM
My house does not have the facility to have an open fire but would I have one yes in a heartbeat.....and yes I can light them and light them well.

Scrunched up news paper ....small very dry kindling and the right amount of coal....a knack I on occasion have got wrong but I start again it fascinates me fire....better than any TV programme and almost as good as a book....to me.