PDA

View Full Version : Spaying question?

broox159
23-02-2010, 05:47 PM
We have just booked Rogue in to be spayed tomorrow. Her constant wailing and screaming is causing for some sleepless nights!I do have a question though....will getting her spayed while she is in heat cause her to be like this all the time after due to hormones etc or will she calm back down to our quiet little girl? :?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

dandysmom
23-02-2010, 09:25 PM
She will calm down after the op and when the hormones are out of her system. She'll be a much happier cat when she no longer goes into heat.

broox159
23-02-2010, 10:15 PM
She will calm down after the op and when the hormones are out of her system. She'll be a much happier cat when she no longer goes into heat.

Phew! She is so confused bless her...constantly wailing!
No more food for her tonight, she goes in tomorrow! Fingers crossed everything goes fine and she is a happy kitty when she comes home! :)

calismum
23-02-2010, 10:30 PM
Hope all goes well for her tomorrow. As DM said she'll quieten down after her op and be a much happier, contented girl.

Kazz
23-02-2010, 10:51 PM
This is the best descision you will ever make for her....she will be fine.

angieh
23-02-2010, 11:25 PM
Good luck tomorrow - please let us know when she's safely home again.

broox159
24-02-2010, 12:19 AM
Thanks for all of your well wishes! Fingers crossed tonight is fairly quiet! Oh well, its only one more night! Night all! :D

yola
24-02-2010, 11:46 AM
Hope all is going well for Rogue. Yes, within a few days she will become much more settled.

I had a big old tom come to live with me and the transformation in him after neutering was a complete 180 degree turnaround from marauding bruiser to a soppy old lap cat who just wanted the warmest corner in the house!

broox159
24-02-2010, 12:50 PM
Rogue is at the vets right now. They said she should be ready around 16.30. Funny thing is we didnt hear a peep out of her last night!
She was very quiet in the car on the way there too, bless her...i hope she is ok....

angieh
24-02-2010, 12:51 PM
She'll be fine. You need a cup of tea or some Rescue Remedy to see you through until you get the call to go and pick her up.

broox159
24-02-2010, 02:00 PM
She'll be fine. You need a cup of tea or some Rescue Remedy to see you through until you get the call to go and pick her up.

Thats a great idea!! *goes to put kettle on*

dandysmom
24-02-2010, 05:05 PM
Please let is know how she is when she gets home.

broox159
24-02-2010, 06:17 PM
I have just got home with Rogue. She was completey out of it when i picked her up. She HATES her buster collar! I think its the smallest one going and its still too big for her!
I was expecting them to have made an incision on her belly but they have done it on her side? Have been given anti biotics to give her too....I feel sorry for her but its quite comical watching her bashing into things and walking backwards trying to get away from the collar...poor lil girl....

angieh
24-02-2010, 06:35 PM
Poor girlie - some vets do side incisions, some underneath. She will be feeling the side effects of the anaesthetic. Do try to keep the collar on so she won't worry her stitches. Does she have a further appointment for post op or to have stitches out - guess they may be the dissolving sort nowadays? Glad she's home.

calismum
24-02-2010, 08:54 PM
Glad she's home. My Misty used to walk backwards when she had a collar on too!

Hope she makes a full recovery. Make sure Logan doesn't 'groom' her stitches, sometimes they'll even nibble them out especially if they usually groom each other.

Moli
24-02-2010, 10:21 PM
Good to hear she is home, she will get used to the collar....

broox159
05-03-2010, 10:33 AM
We woke up this morning and Rogues wound was weeping. I called the vet and we are taking her in in about half an hour. She didnt eat her breakfast either. :( I think its obvious she has an infection...we gave her the anti-biotics like instructed, although we were only given 1 weeks worth. The only time she has had her collar off was to eat and so that we could scratch her neck for her...am worried....:cry: good wishes please for our baby girl....

pookyandjo
05-03-2010, 01:03 PM
good that she's going to the vet.. it could be something as simple as single hair that has provided a conduit from the outside to the inside of the wound and has caused a small localised infection..... in any case im sure the vet will sort it out quick smart... keep us informed of how you're getting along.....get well soon Rogues!

broox159
05-03-2010, 01:05 PM
I feel like such a bad cat mum, :cry: She has an infection, we've been given more anti biotics for her and hoepfully that will make her better. She really isnt herself, she hasnt eaten at all today and normally she is screaming at us for food. She is just laying in her bed looking sorry for herself....:cry:

pookyandjo
05-03-2010, 01:15 PM
dont feel bad... these things happen...AND you took her to the vet when it mattered... so you've done all you could...did the vet give her an antibiotic injection to boost her along? or not?
did the vet take her temp to make sure she isn't running a fever?
one day without food is ok... make sure you have some on offer in case she is hungry later on...but make sure she has water.. if she isn't inclined to drink then pop some water on her paws and she will lick it off

broox159
05-03-2010, 01:25 PM
He gave her an injection but didnt take her temp. I have left some food down for her incase she feels hungry. Knowing Logan he'll probably eat it before she gets a chance to, lol

pookyandjo
05-03-2010, 01:32 PM
did the vet tell you what the injection was?.. in any case hopefully it will make her feel better so she can eat...

broox159
05-03-2010, 01:34 PM
It was an anti-biotic, and he told us to start her on the capsules tomorrow morning, he prescirbed her with Antirob clinamycin 25mg.

pookyandjo
05-03-2010, 01:43 PM
just be aware that sometime antibiotics can cause loss of appetite and/or diarrhoea
it may not happen... but dont be surprised if it does

im sure she'll be racing around like a mad thing by tomorrow.. the intramuscular injection will get into her system quickly and give the oral antibiotics a good head start

broox159
05-03-2010, 01:48 PM
Thats good. She looks so pitiful at the moment. The strange thing is though, she was absoultely fine yesterday, running around like a loon, racing up and down the curtains, and her appetite was fine...then this morning she was unwell.

calismum
05-03-2010, 08:24 PM
That's good as it shows you caught the infection early. I'm sure in a day or two she'll be just fine.

Have you to bathe her wound with saline solution?

broox159
05-03-2010, 08:31 PM
Yes, he said to use cotton wool with warm water and salt and to try and push the fluid out. She has just had some dinner and gone back to bed.

calismum
05-03-2010, 08:33 PM
Yes, he said to use cotton wool with warm water and salt and to try and push the fluid out. She has just had some dinner and gone back to bed.

Glad to hear she has had some food. I'm sure she'll be right as rain tomorrow.

broox159
05-03-2010, 08:37 PM
Glad to hear she has had some food. I'm sure she'll be right as rain tomorrow.

Fingers and paws crossed! :)

angieh
05-03-2010, 09:02 PM
Sorry to hear that Rogue has an infection - good you have caught it almost immediately. Cats generally respond very quickly to antib's. Hopfully she'll be up and feeling well again very soon.

dandysmom
05-03-2010, 09:06 PM
Glad to hear she's eaten!

broox159
06-03-2010, 12:18 AM
OMG she just gave me a heart attack!! She was laying kind of weird in her bed so i went over to give her a stroke, and she didnt move, so i nudged her and she didnt move, or open her eyes! It took 5 nudges to wake her up! I thought she had left us! :cry: :cry: