PDA

View Full Version : Amber rushed to emergency hospital

Pages : [1] 2

lizziejayne66
19-02-2010, 02:18 AM
she s seriously ill may not make it. vet asked for £450 upfront! i have to collect her at 730am and take her to my own vet
im hand feeding the kittens again every2 hours im so exhaused
ive no help myhusband so angry hes not a cat person he has took off dont know where
vet does not know whats wrong im so upset i may lose all of them

dandysmom
19-02-2010, 03:08 AM
Oh Lizzy. so very sorry to hear this! You didn't need this on top of all else that's gone wrong .... pray that Amber will pull thru and that you can cope with feeding the kits with no one to help you (((hugs)))

angieh
19-02-2010, 04:15 AM
I am so sorry to hear this news.

FayRose
19-02-2010, 09:01 AM
I'm so sorry, I hope so much she pulls through. ((Hugs)) for you. xx

yola
19-02-2010, 09:53 AM
Oh this is terrible! I hope to goodness Amber is OK and that the kittens too. Someone posted a helpful suggestion on your other thread (was it James); please contact your local Cats Protection branches to see if they have a nursing queen who might take on your 3 kittens. I know our CP branch has on occasions done this successfully.

It will give your kittens a better chance of survival and will relieve you of some of the exhaustive duties of round the clock feeding.

And I think your husband should be ashamed of himself :mad:

kado
19-02-2010, 11:04 AM
My thoughts and prayers are with you.

lizziejayne66
19-02-2010, 11:19 AM
just to let you knowi had to rush her to hospital in sheffield last night where i had to wait half hour to be seen avery upfront and rude vet charged me £438!
they dont know whats wrong yet, said heatbeat dangerously fast, she s weak lethargic and temp 105degrees
said its not mastists but a nasty infection
i had tocollect her at 7 30 am and take her to local vet, where he said its another £450 icannot afford said they l do xrays and be in touch
said she may never feedthem agian
im so tired been up all night feeding them every 2 hours
i cannot goon every 2 hours until weaning
would there be a foster mum cat available?
i didnt know rspca could help in this situation?
thingsvery tensebetween me and my husband itsthe money you see i borrowedsome off my daughter
he said put her down! i cant do that i love her
im awaiting newsfrom vet
its so annoying asi was at vets 4 times last week and they never picked upon her fast heartrate and swollen tummy
i dnt know what to do
my husband is so angry with me saying its all my fault

yola
19-02-2010, 11:54 AM
Don't go to the RSPCA, contact your local Cats Protection:
Telephone:
01246 270056
Web Address:
www.chesterfieldcats.co.uk (http://www.chesterfieldcats.co.uk)

Talk things through with them, if you get through to a volunteer who picks up the phone they probably won't be able to help, but ask to speak to a co-ordinator or the fostering officer.

Also ask them what they think you should do about the vet fees and the fact that you kept raising concerns about Amber and the vet did little until things got critical (and expensive).

You must do something now to protect your sanity and to make sure the best is done for the kittens.

lizziejayne66
19-02-2010, 12:13 PM
still no news
i have to feed the kittens agian i will thanks

Kay
19-02-2010, 01:40 PM
So sorry to hear this Jayne.

I am afraid that your vets are hopeless telling you not to clean her back end after she had delivered is ridiculous. After giving birth everything is open for infection and therefore she needed to be kept clean.

Have they mentioned eclampsia? Have they got the calcium results back and if not why don't they ring the lab for them? Eclampsia is life threatening and is associated with calcium levels.

I would definitely change vets.

Aquatic
19-02-2010, 02:05 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about Amber I hope she pulls through and I hope the kittens will be ok.

Shelley123
19-02-2010, 02:40 PM
I can't believe the vets have behaved like this, to have ill advised you and to have let things get so bad. Also i have never heard of vets asking for money upfront like that, it's disgusting !
You realy must ring the cats protection number and try to get yourself some help and advise, it's an absolute priority.
I hope Amber pulls through and her kittens.

kado
19-02-2010, 02:50 PM
I realy do feel for you. I just wish i was near like most of us here on catsey. I would gladly help but just too far.

lizziejayne66
19-02-2010, 02:53 PM
just heardfrom the vet amber has a bacterial infection due to a build up of gas and diahorea in her tummy
was told she on a drip and 2 types of antibiotics she s very dehydrated
was told sheneeds to stay in overnight, but must bare in mind there is no one there between the hours of 10pm and 8am my other choice is to drive back to sheffield the emergency vet and pay even more some choice!
they will ring me how she is later

Kazz
19-02-2010, 06:16 PM
Is this your regular vets?

lizziejayne66
19-02-2010, 07:30 PM
this is the vets my husband reccomended he says he used them for adog he used to own. there are other vets ithink, but none ahve emergency cover only the one in sheffield
i rang the vets as they didnt ring me. no change she s still very dehydrated wont eat, on drip they havent cleared the blockage yet! sadi waiting fo rmore fluids into her
saidvet will check on her at 10pm before going home then again at 8am
no one there at night, said i can take her to same emergency vet as last night if i like i cannot afford that
there hopeless

Kazz
19-02-2010, 07:35 PM
Why are you taking the kittens out in the cold? Is the cat staying at the vets overnight with no one on site? and do vets do that?

lizziejayne66
19-02-2010, 07:58 PM
i had no option but to take them with me when i took mum to emergency vets no one lese to care for them and agian thismorning i had to feed them in the car!

yes she is staying there with noone to watch them. was told a vet looks at them at 10pm thats it

Shelley123
19-02-2010, 08:13 PM
I would be asking the vets how come they didn't pick up on the severity of the problem before now.
Hopefully once she is hydrated they will be able to work on her and she will eat again.
At our vets i think someone comes in once during the night to check on admitted animals but it's not a good situation.
Have you been in touch with cats protection?

Elaine
19-02-2010, 08:14 PM
sorry only just read this thread. Having hand reared countless numbers of kittens myself, I can only recomend that you seek out an experienced person to do it for you as it is not easy if you dont know what you are doing if the kittens are not thriving or dying then you should deffinatly get advice. CP usualy have someone who can help.
good luck H

Moli
19-02-2010, 08:15 PM
i had no option but to take them with me when i took mum to emergency vets no one lese to care for them and agian thismorning i had to feed them in the car!

yes she is staying there with noone to watch them. was told a vet looks at them at 10pm thats it
Try to get in touch with the CP, they will have people to help you hand rear the kittens.....

trick
19-02-2010, 08:17 PM
sorry that last one fron elaine was from my computer and she forgot to log off before i posted sorry

Elaine
19-02-2010, 08:18 PM
Many of the vets up here would have taken the kittens aswell to hand rear.
I think you really need to be finding people that may be able to give help as in other vets in your area, CP, RSPCA etc.
I understand your perdicament but the kittens really shouldnt be travelling around like this.
Have they said what exactly is wrong with mum? Other than an infection, I mean an infection where exactly? And where is the blockage?

Kazz
19-02-2010, 08:25 PM
How are the kittens getting on well with the occasional feed from Mom and supplementry feeds?

lizziejayne66
19-02-2010, 09:18 PM
vet just rang said she s got worse, he s not sure now its bacterial infection says he needsto do more blood tests. says gas in her intestines know idea why or how itshappned
he recommends tomorrw she goes back to emergency vets until mon morn as local vet shut sundays and he wouldonly checkon her 3 times over weekend she be alone and said its up to me but it carries risks, if she goes downhill no one there to care for her

kado
19-02-2010, 09:35 PM
I dont know what to say but we are all here for you. I just wish i was closer

dandysmom
19-02-2010, 09:36 PM
Oh God you are really having a rough time. I'm so sorry.

trick
19-02-2010, 09:39 PM
Cats protection can some times help with the bill You NEED to get some help and now
x H

trick
19-02-2010, 09:40 PM
the cp number should be in the yellow pages under animal charity or google it

Kazz
19-02-2010, 09:50 PM
Before we go any further can we just please establish is the cat called Amber or Phoebe?

lizziejayne66
19-02-2010, 10:17 PM
amber im so tired i had a cat called phoebe

Elaine
19-02-2010, 10:19 PM
So that will explain why on another forum where the exact same stuff is being posted about a cat called Pheobe then.

Kazz
19-02-2010, 10:30 PM
amber im so tired i had a cat called phoebe

But which cat is in the vets, because on another site your cat is called Phoebe, and people are offering support advice there like we are here.....identical posts by you. Different name of cat?

I am happy to offer support and assistance but just like to know I am not being wound up or taken for a fool.

smudgley
19-02-2010, 10:37 PM
this is all very strange! :roll:

smudgley
19-02-2010, 10:46 PM
Why are you called MARYROSE on another forum and posting exactly the same stuff about PHOEBE??

OK, people have different usernames, but different cat names??

Please don't PM me anymore either MaryRoseLizzyJane or whoever you are!

MrsH
19-02-2010, 10:52 PM
I have a little rule to myself which is never to become too involved when new members come on and straight away start on long complicated heart-rending tales.

This would appear to be another one.

Why do they get such a kick at taking people for a ride and playing on their sympathy?

Elaine
19-02-2010, 10:54 PM
I always find it very strange when people are given lots of very good sound advice but fail to act on it.

kado
19-02-2010, 10:54 PM
I know this is probaly going to get remove and we are going to get told off. But if its genuine i realy feel for her but if isnt its wrong. I have also seen the other thread on a different forum

EmmaG
19-02-2010, 10:56 PM
Very strange she hasn't taken the advice of phoning the CP to help, also on the other forum another member very kindly said that they would take the kittens to be looked after yet she appears to not have taken up this offer.

All very odd....

smudgley
19-02-2010, 11:04 PM
No but she sent me a PM asking me to send her a neutering voucher.

kado
19-02-2010, 11:14 PM
I waiting for us to be told off. She said her somebody let amber out but on the other forum she said she had escaped and had been missing for weeks

Elaine
19-02-2010, 11:19 PM
No, she said that her daughter let the un-neutered male out but on the other forum the cat went missing for a few weeks and came back that day 7 weeks pregnant:? :? :?
Anyway, she has gone offline now and probably wont be back now she has been rumbled.

kado
19-02-2010, 11:20 PM
I agree.....

Moli
19-02-2010, 11:27 PM
Sometimes I just cannot understand people, what was the point!!!!

dandysmom
19-02-2010, 11:33 PM
Oh dear, I feel like a fool now wasting all that worry and sympathy on a troll. Why oh why do they DO these things?

Aquatic
20-02-2010, 01:12 AM
Ok I was just about to turn off my laptop and catch up on my Zzz's when I noticed this thread ok... why would somebody lie about something like this I was really concerned about it and now it turns out not to be true or maybe it is I'm a bit unsure at the moment. :? :?

kado
20-02-2010, 01:18 AM
It does happen a lot. We had one on here last year.

Elaine
20-02-2010, 08:49 AM
After a wee bit more digging and reading, Lizzyjayne66 aka Maryrose aka Amberpearl66 does apear to be telling some truth, mum cat and kittens are in alot of danger from this person. The breeder of the mum cat even offered to buy her back or atleast take mum until kittens were born and all was ok. The cat was sold to her on the un-active register and should have been speyed as per contract.
She claims to be breeding for the love of the animals but clearly knows nothing about what she is doing and will not take up any offers of help.
Those poor poor cats, she is killing them and that's not love in my book.

lizward
20-02-2010, 09:17 AM
And of course, if she was breeding expecting a lovely litter of pedigree (if unregisterable) kittens to make some money, and has found herself instead with over a thousand in vet bills already, totally exhausted, and already two dead kittens, perhaps her husband's attitude becomes a bit more understandable.

Poor lady, she must be kicking herself for not letting the breeder have the cat back!

Liz

Moli
20-02-2010, 09:22 AM
This whole thread is so sad.....that poor mum and kittens, why the heck does she not let someone have them who knows what they are doing????seems to me it was her way of making some money quick, and it has definitely backfired!!!

Elaine
20-02-2010, 09:24 AM
And of course, if she was breeding expecting a lovely litter of pedigree (if unregisterable) kittens to make some money, and has found herself instead with over a thousand in vet bills already, totally exhausted, and already two dead kittens, perhaps her husband's attitude becomes a bit more understandable.

Poor lady, she must be kicking herself for not letting the breeder have the cat back!

Liz

Very tragic, especially for the cats.

lizward
20-02-2010, 09:36 AM
I suspect it is too late for that cat now, if the story about the emergency vet is even half true :cry:

Liz

Elaine
20-02-2010, 09:41 AM
I suspect it's too late for the kittens too, she has been poking about at them, taking them out on the car journey to the vet etc and making every one, breeder and vet, out to look so bad.
I cannt understand why a) she did this in the first place b) why she never took up any help offered.

All very very sad and the poor husband has been slated in all of this aswell.

Elaine
20-02-2010, 09:42 AM
Oh and welcome to Catsey Liz, shame you came here under such sad circumstances.

lizward
20-02-2010, 09:51 AM
Oh and welcome to Catsey Liz, shame you came here under such sad circumstances.

Thank you

Liz

lizward
20-02-2010, 09:58 AM
I suspect it's too late for the kittens too, she has been poking about at them, taking them out on the car journey to the vet etc and making every one, breeder and vet, out to look so bad.

Well, if the vet really did say the kittens had to be fed every two hours until they were 6 or 9 weeks old (depending on which version of the story you read), I suppose it is understandable that she might take them out with her if she thought she was going to be more than two hours. I have told her they will not die of starvation that quickly and given her a more realistic feeding timetable I hope. They do sound to be reasonable weights.

I'm afraid the problem is always the same when someone is rumbled - and yes I rumbled her as the person breeding from the non-active cat which the breeder had begged to have back - and that is that they disappear and you never find out what happened. Perhaps it would have been better to keep quiet and not let on that we knew, but that would take a lot of self control and I doubt if it would ever happen, people are rightly outraged when they think they are being taken for a ride.

I daresay the breeder, who is on the other forum, will have picked this up by now and will call this lady again so perhaps she might accept help after all, who knows? It would be the best outcome both for her and for any surviving kittens.

Liz

Elaine
20-02-2010, 10:26 AM
Well, if the vet really did say the kittens had to be fed every two hours until they were 6 or 9 weeks old (depending on which version of the story you read), I suppose it is understandable that she might take them out with her if she thought she was going to be more than two hours. I have told her they will not die of starvation that quickly and given her a more realistic feeding timetable I hope. They do sound to be reasonable weights.

I'm afraid the problem is always the same when someone is rumbled - and yes I rumbled her as the person breeding from the non-active cat which the breeder had begged to have back - and that is that they disappear and you never find out what happened. Perhaps it would have been better to keep quiet and not let on that we knew, but that would take a lot of self control and I doubt if it would ever happen, people are rightly outraged when they think they are being taken for a ride.

I daresay the breeder, who is on the other forum, will have picked this up by now and will call this lady again so perhaps she might accept help after all, who knows? It would be the best outcome both for her and for any surviving kittens.

Liz

You are absolutely right but it can be difficult to articulate appropriately in order to get at the truth, especially when the poster ignores questions, advice and genuine offers of help.

yola
20-02-2010, 01:00 PM
Elaine, you've hit the nail on the head. Alarm bells should start ringing when advice is ignored and then the story gets 'accellerated' to another crisis.

I feel a bit of an idiot in offering advice, but then as I told Karen, I'm a lousy judge of character :roll:

I hope the cat/kittens end up OK. Liz/Elaine, if you get any feedback from the breeder could you just let us know?

candyshandy
20-02-2010, 02:18 PM
I hope this thread and the one on the other site puts off others who are thinking of doing the same:(

lizward
20-02-2010, 02:24 PM
I hope this thread and the one on the other site puts off others who are thinking of doing the same:(

Yes indeed, that would at least be some good to come out of it!

Liz

Aquatic
20-02-2010, 02:27 PM
Ye same here.

Kay
20-02-2010, 02:34 PM

I agree Candice. It makes me so cross as a genuine breeder. Breeders get enough flack as it is from what seems every angle and people like this only add to it. Genuine breeders do it for the love of the breed. They research properly, buy the best possible examples of the breed and breed to the Standard of Points set out by the BACs and GCCF. If done properly there is little, usually no, money to be made. I kept financial records one year and at the end of the year I was out of pocket by over £2,000 :shock:. I didn't keep anymore records after that :roll:.

lizward
20-02-2010, 02:43 PM
I kept financial records one year and at the end of the year I was out of pocket by over £2,000 :shock:. I didn't keep anymore records after that :roll:.

O that was a good year then! Wish my losses were that low :(

Liz

Kay
20-02-2010, 02:57 PM
O that was a good year then! Wish my losses were that low :(

Liz

Yep that was a good year. No unusual vet bills and no kitten losses :roll:

alexgirl73
20-02-2010, 04:10 PM
oh good grief! What is it with these people?

I remember when I joined here, and I had all those problems with Teddie from the get go. I got wonderful advice and support from you all on here, and it saddens me to see that support being corrupted like this. And of course suspicion will fall on anyone else who comes here looking for advice, no matter how innocent.

I really hope the breeder can get the cat/kittens if they still exist :(, back from this individual.

Shelley123
20-02-2010, 06:57 PM
Surely the breeder could do something as this lady has broken the contract?

Aquatic
20-02-2010, 06:59 PM
hmmm.. ye that was what I was thinking as well.
I hope those kittens are ok and that the breeder will take them off her.

Elaine
20-02-2010, 07:01 PM
Many contracts are not worth the paper they are written on and it would be a very costly thing to do.
People are still apealing to the girl to come forward and accept the offers of help to care for the mum and kittens without reprisal and for the love of cats. I think that is to be comended and I hope she DOES contact them and accept their help, god only knows the cats need it.

Kay
20-02-2010, 09:47 PM
Contracts if written correctly are worth the paper the are written on.

I have had to take two cats back for reasons I will not go into and the contract I had signed by both me and the new owner was how I managed to get them back. It didn't get as far as court but a solicitor was involved on my part. Unfortunately the breeder of Amber does not have a written contract.

I am still in phone contact with Jayne and Amber has started to eat for herself although she is still at the vets. The kittens are gaining weight. So fingers crossed everything will continue along this road.

kado
20-02-2010, 10:20 PM
I am so glad that Amber has started to eat and the kittens are gaining weight as well.

Shelley123
20-02-2010, 10:28 PM
Thanks for the update Kay, i do hope everything works out well for Amber and her Kittens.

lizward
20-02-2010, 10:29 PM
I am still in phone contact with Jayne and Amber has started to eat for herself although she is still at the vets. The kittens are gaining weight. So fingers crossed everything will continue along this road.

O well that is good news. Did she go back to the emergency vet in the end or stay at the one in Chesterfield?

Liz

Aquatic
20-02-2010, 10:47 PM
That's good to hear.
I'm happy to hear that Amber and the kittens are now ok.
Thanks for the update Kay. :-D

Kay
21-02-2010, 12:43 AM
O well that is good news. Did she go back to the emergency vet in the end or stay at the one in Chesterfield?

Liz

I haven't spoken with her since about 2.00pm but at that point she was still with the Chesterfield vets.

jan
21-02-2010, 11:47 PM
Gosh, I must be a bit green about the gills, I started reading this thread and thinking how can everything be so chaotic, why is nt she asking for help but alarm bells did nt ring but I did wonder how she had time to be consulting her pc all the time, because although the support is fantastic when your in a crisis with lack of time sometimes its the last thing you have time to turn to. I am so disappointed that someone is nt what she purports to be, it soils the site and the support we give to one another in genuine occasions. I cant understand someone wanting attention so badly that she acts like this - its very sad but its the poor cat and kittens that are suffering. Its utterly heart breaking. Jan x

lizward
23-02-2010, 09:20 AM
To be fair, I am sure this is not a matter of attention seeking, but of someone having got herself into such a mess telling lies previously that she could not get out of it without telling more lies. Once the truth was discovered, the reaction from many, naturally enough, was one of outrage, but there is still a sick cat and her three young kittens. Does anyone have a recent update on how they are doing?

One thing I think I can safely say, is that the person concnerned is most unlikely to do anything like this again!

LIz

Kay
23-02-2010, 01:57 PM
Jayne has told me that Amber's breeder has taken her to her own vets, she is a veterinary nurse and works at this vets. She has offered to pay for all the treatment from now on until Amber is better, if she makes a recovery the breeder will return Amber to Jayne.

Amber is still seriously ill and Jayne's vet doesn't know what is wrong despite several blood tests, x-rays and scans. She is still not eating for herself and is extremely weak. Jayne is going to let me know when she hears anything. The kittens are doing well and putting weight on nicely.

I will keep you up-dated as I don't think Jayne will post in fear of any reprisals. She is being responsible now by letting Amber go to the breeder and is coping with the hand rearing of the kittens. She is getting Felix neutered and will be spaying Amber as soon as she is well enough.

Shelley123
23-02-2010, 02:12 PM
Thank goodness the breeder has taken Amber to her vet, i do hope they discover what's wrong and she makes a full recovery, poor little Cat.
I am glad the Kittens are doing well.
It's good that you have maintained contact with Jayne, Kay.

Aquatic
23-02-2010, 06:08 PM
Thank goodness the kittens are doing well.
I hope Amber gets better and makes a full recovery. :(

yola
23-02-2010, 06:23 PM
May I wish amber, the kittens and Jayne all the best for the future. I'm sure if Jayne decided to post again there would be no reprisals as 'lessons have been learnt'.

Elaine
23-02-2010, 06:24 PM
I'd just like to say, as one who was outraged by it all, this must have been a very hard lesson for Jayne but thank god she has seen sense and let the breeder take Amber into her care. I seriously hope that she makes a full recovery. I am pleased to read that the kittens are doing well and I hope they too go from strength to strength.

dandysmom
23-02-2010, 09:00 PM
Very well put, Elaine, agree completely!

Kay
24-02-2010, 12:22 PM
Amber, haviing only been at the breeders vet for half a day, finally has a diagnosis. She has a very severe case of Acute Sceptic Mastitis. The vet is having to operate on Amber to cut away all the necrosis. Hopefully he will be able to get rid of everything and Amber will make a full recover although that isn't a certainty as it has got into her bloodstream.

I would be livid with Jayne's vet if I were her as this could all have been prevented if he had continued to treat the original mastitis with an appropriate anti-biotic. Instead the vet said the mastitis had gone and then did several full blood tests, x-rays and even a scan and still didn't discover this. He has tested for leukeamia, hepititis, calcium defiency, toxoplasmosis among others. It has cost Jayne over £1500. Seems to me they are one of those money grabbing surgerys. So glad mine isn't like that. I would definitely put a complaint in especially since they have been treating her on and off for 11 days, of which the last four she was totally in their care yet the breeder has her for just half a day and knows what is wrong.

Anyway fingers crossed she pulls through.

The kittens are still doing well.

angieh
24-02-2010, 12:49 PM
Poor little cat - the situation that Jayne found herself in with her vet is appalling. I do hope that she can make an official complaint. Glad that Amber's condition has been diagnosed and I do so hope she recovers. Very glad the kittens are still thriving.

It's a very good thing that she has had your support Kay.

Kay
24-02-2010, 01:23 PM
Thanks Angie.

While I don't agree with Jayne having bred from a cat that is registered on the non-active register and sold as a pet only, I feel she does need someone she can turn to should she need to. I would hate for something to happen to the kittens just because Jayne felt she could no longer as for help.

kado
24-02-2010, 01:31 PM
I am so glad that the kittens are feeding and the vet now knows whats wrong with Amber. Can you send Jayne my regards if possible. I wish i had been more supportive but from the last daft poster we had it annoyed me.

Kay
24-02-2010, 01:46 PM
I will do.

lizward
24-02-2010, 02:36 PM
I feel the same - whatever the rights and wrongs of this case (such a pity - I wonder if the mastitis was itself caused by the queen being unable to nurse the kittens at first?), Jayne has certainly had a very bad deal from her vet.

I hope (please pass this on to her, along with my best wishes for the kittens, the poor lady must be exhausted!) that she will not pay the vet bill, I mean the one for her own vet, but will instead change vets and simply write to her own vet explaining why she will not pay. Let them take her to court. They won't want to do that, because if they do they will look bad and they will be well aware that they are unlikely to get their money. They will sell the debt to a debt collectors, they will eventually sell it to another, and so on. As long as there is no CCJ registered against her, there is no cause for alarm, and as I understand it, her husband holds the wallet strings anyway. Ride it out, Jayne! Morally, it is Amber's breeder who needs to have the vet fees paid, put the money you get from the kittens towards that.

I hope Amber makes a full recovery.

Way off topic but speaking of Selkirks - if anyone here knows a Selkirk breeder in Luton who recently sold a blue shorthaired curly boy to a deaf lady from London, I saw the boy yesterday, he is doing well, now has another kitten playmate (from me), and is a real cutie. I think it is safe to say he has fallen on his feet with that lady too.

Liz

Shelley123
24-02-2010, 04:34 PM
Thanks again for the update Kay, i am so pleased to hear poor Amber now has a diagnosis, lets hope she makes a full recovery. Fantastic news on the Kittens too.

dandysmom
24-02-2010, 04:56 PM
Glad to hear the kittens are thriving; hope Amber will make a full recovery. I agree about not paying that vet!!

Elaine
24-02-2010, 06:10 PM
Poor Amber, I have everything crossed that she makes a full recovery.
I think Jayne had to pay the vet up front did she not? I'd be absolutely furious with that vet and would take it further by reporting them to the RCVS, I'd also be asking for a refund because of the neglegance by the vet.

Aquatic
24-02-2010, 07:14 PM
I do hope Amber gets better and makes a full recovery and I'm so glad that the kittens are Fine :-D
Thanks for the update Kay

Kay
24-02-2010, 08:41 PM
Amber has had her operation and the vet managed to get rid of everything she has had to have a mastectomy and now has one less nipple. She has a drain in still and things are not over yet as it is possible it could come back but at least she has come through this part. She is staying with the breeder until she has made a full recovery.

Jayne had to pay her vet in full before they would release Amber!!!! It is very difficult to sue but I have suggested she puts in a complaint with RCVS but I don't know if she will or not. She is going to register with another vet in her area. It is one that Fran has used in the past and she recommended them.

I will keep updating as and when I hear from Jayne.

angieh
24-02-2010, 09:10 PM
Oh I do hope Amber is out of the woods and will recover well. It's good that Jayne will use a vet that has been recommended by Fran - that's very reassuring for her. She must have lost all faith in vets due to his negligence.

I presume that there are complaints procedures for vets in place, as for doctors etc.?

Kay
24-02-2010, 09:36 PM
There are complaint procedures but like in any profesion these can be hard going with no guarantee of success even though it appears so clear cut!!!

Having tried to sue hospital and GP for my kids syndrome, whch was caused by my anti-epileptic medication taken while pregnant under both their supervision. The expert witnesses (other GPs and specialists) just backed my GP and hospital. We are mnow going down the avenue of suing the drug company but as that has been going on for 10 years know I am not holding my breathe.

I am going to try and encourage Jayne to put in a complaint as the really need to be stopped from this sort of veterinary practice. Their prices are obsurd. They charge Jayne nearly £19 for a tin of Cimicat which you can get for just over £8 online!!!. Money grabbing certainly springs to mind.

John
24-02-2010, 10:38 PM
have been reading this thread with interest, which makes me realise how good my vets are..
why cant this vet be sued for neglect..would not look very good in the papers if they were taken to court..just a thought..

jan
24-02-2010, 11:31 PM
The whole thing is absolutely disgusting - I used a vets which is a large practice at one time until I suddenly realised they seemed to be over keen on putting animals through liver kidney blood tests at three figure sums as a prelude to preforming a test at another three figure sum to determine the lump on my then 12 year old cats leg. I thought it was a cyst and took her to another vets who took one look said its a harmless cyst leave well alone as she s elderly and it will only come back again if its drained. She s now almost 16 and still has the cyst. She s a nervous cat anyway and I have never used that money grabbing vets again. And a lot of other people have said similar to me since. I thought vets were supposed to put the animals first as surely they must love animals to do that job? It seems to be money comes first for some of them.

I hope Amber makes a full recovery and that something can be done to bring this "vet" to account for their actions - its time there was a proper complaints procedure for them in place.

Wishing Mum and kittens a full recovery. Jan x

Kay
24-02-2010, 11:38 PM
I use a biggish vets, 8 vets at the moment, but they are definitely not like Jayne's vet. I have asked about whether it would be worth having a test done in the past and my vet said'Well you can have it done if you want but you know it won't really tell us anything we don't know. It is a waste of money'. I doubt Jayne's vet would know how to utter those words.

I always thought veterinary practise was supposed to be a vocation. Someone should tell that practice just what that means

Soupie
25-02-2010, 12:28 PM
Way off topic but speaking of Selkirks - if anyone here knows a Selkirk breeder in Luton who recently sold a blue shorthaired curly boy to a deaf lady from London, I saw the boy yesterday, he is doing well, now has another kitten playmate (from me), and is a real cutie. I think it is safe to say he has fallen on his feet with that lady too.

Liz

Hiya

Probably Chris Hazel of Wyrewood - she often has blue and black curly boys - am seeing her this weekend and will pass on your news :D

I am pleased that Kay is helping Jayne and that the gorgeous girl is back with her breeder. I really hope this can be a lesson to everyone and that Jayne manages to to get somewhere in a complaint against the vet.

Soupie

Elaine
25-02-2010, 04:46 PM
Hiya

Probably Chris Hazel of Wyrewood - she often has blue and black curly boys - am seeing her this weekend and will pass on your news :D

I am pleased that Kay is helping Jayne and that the gorgeous girl is back with her breeder. I really hope this can be a lesson to everyone and that Jayne manages to to get somewhere in a complaint against the vet.

Soupie

What do you mean by that?