PDA

View Full Version : Smokey

kado
19-02-2010, 12:10 AM
I notice tonight that he has started limping on his bad leg again. As i am the only one he lets touch whilst he was have his tea i tried to touch his paw and he hissed at me. He is such a bouncy cat and does what ever the others do . I try to stop him but i cant watch him all the time. If he gets anyworse i will take him straight away too the vets but i can only think they will suggest cage rest for him but he cant go on like this injuring his leg and cage rest all the time. I know he is always going to have a weak leg but now i know he wont be able to go outside its just too risky for him

Mistleto's-mum
19-02-2010, 12:31 AM
Oh bless him, have they done any x-ray's or anything ?

Kay
19-02-2010, 12:45 AM
Awww poor Smokey. {{{HUGS}}}

Aquatic
19-02-2010, 12:56 AM
awww.. bless him.
:( x

kado
19-02-2010, 01:32 AM
When we first took him to the vets he was about 5-6wks old and my vet said there was no point in x-raying his leg as it was a healed break so it was pointless to do it. then you could pick him up now the vet wouldnt stand a chance.
I think he as strained it and if its no better on saturdayi will take him. Its not like it was before stuck out he has only tonight started lifting it in the air. He is eating and drinking for england and it hasnt put him off his food.

dandysmom
19-02-2010, 03:11 AM
Oh dear, this isn't a day for good news; so sorry to hear about Smokey, poor boy.

James
19-02-2010, 04:56 AM
It does sound like a ligament strain, but if this keeps occurring it really should be X-rayed rather than risk a hidden problem becoming worse.

kado
19-02-2010, 11:08 AM
I agree with you james. We know he is always going to have a week leg. The vet at first didnt know if he was going to loose his leg. Even though we only had him a couple of days at the time of his first visit i was prepared to give him a chance. I still am he trusts me so much and reminds me so much of my simon

pookyandjo
19-02-2010, 01:19 PM
poor smokey...maybe he needs a few days on some metacam which is an anti inflammatory medication...it may be just enough to break the cycle of pain...

kado
19-02-2010, 02:51 PM
He isnt limping so much today. Had a couple of visitors and he ran away and hid as he doesnt like strangers.

dandysmom
19-02-2010, 04:45 PM
Poor wee boy, sending healing vibes....

Shelley123
19-02-2010, 06:17 PM
Hope Smokeys's leg is soon better.

Aquatic
19-02-2010, 07:02 PM
Hope Smokey's leg gets better soon x

angieh
19-02-2010, 10:08 PM
Probably a silly idea but I wonder if you could get one of those little stretchy bandages on his leg? Just to give him a bit of support. Probably not realistic, but just a thought.

kado
19-02-2010, 10:18 PM
His leg seems a lot better tonight. He is fast asleep next to gabby. The bandage is a good idea but if i tried i would need a & E myself

angieh
19-02-2010, 10:39 PM
I thought as much Jane! Glad his leg seems better tonight.

James
20-02-2010, 04:55 AM
It's good news that the pain seems to have eased. At the risk of saying something that you are already well aware, my advice (for what its worth :)) would be that if he displays the same symptoms again, press for a more detailed examination. For instance, a blood test will confirm that he is in pain (pain raises the blood sugar levels). The test would also show the health status of the liver and kidneys (important if NSAIDS are to be used). A classic response to pain that seems to come on quickly is to use NSAIDS. However, the problem with cats is that these drugs can only be used in small doses and less frequently than would apply to humans. As I have already mentioned, my concern is that any symptoms that keep reappearing (even if you know (as in this case) that there is a pre-existing injury) can sometimes hide a deeper seated problem. In any case, chronic or frequent pain can ultimately affect the immune system.

Aquatic
20-02-2010, 12:15 PM
I'm glad that Smokey's leg is getting better :-D:D

kado
20-02-2010, 12:39 PM
He isnt limping now. He is full of beans and was at 3 oclock this morning

Aquatic
20-02-2010, 01:01 PM
I'm happy to hear Smokey's better and is already causing mischief wish I could say the same about Felix at the moment he is sleeping on my windowsill on blankets that's all he seems to be doing even though he's still a kitten :roll but they did say boy cats were very lazy lol :-D

kado
20-02-2010, 01:07 PM
Ive got 7 boy cats. I do think they can be a bit lazy its the girls that are little madams. They have unprintable nicknames already

Aquatic
20-02-2010, 02:37 PM
Felix is very lazy indeed. My cat Lily was very playful. I think because Lily was to playful I think that's why we got a boy so he wouldn't go the same way Lily did. I wish he would stop sleeping lol! I want to take photo's of him playing with the bubbles but he doesn't want to play he wants to sleep :roll: