PDA

View Full Version : National Nest Box Week 14 - 21st February

angieh
16-02-2010, 01:46 PM
Did you know? No, neither did I!!! Until one of the recycling websites I subscribe to sent me a newsletter. There is still time to clean out old boxes and hang new ones. I am ashamed to say I do not have any nest boxes, mainly because of the cats ...... and with both Kizzy and Pip abroad this Spring, it's probably just as well. Both are becoming intrepid climbers.

MrsH
16-02-2010, 02:23 PM
I'd certainly never heard of this! I'm afraid we gave up with nest boxes a few years ago, for some reason they were never successful. They were ignored or abandoned after a start was made on the nest and in one case there were dead babies inside. At our first house we had a brood every year, 12 baby blue tits one year!

Our daughter told us at the weekend that the blue-tits in their garden have already started investigating their nest box.

Kazz
16-02-2010, 09:52 PM
I have put up next boxesa dn they have been ignored as well I follow the guidlelines of positioning weather/height etc etc still ignored....I used to blame the cats but now no cats and they are still ignored so now just feed the baby bluetits from 5 doors down (use their nestbox) and the ones who nest in the hole in the old tree round the corner.Some people are not destined to have their nest boxes used ...it is a curse.

calismum
16-02-2010, 09:57 PM
We have quite a few up but I need to clear them out asap.

We often have blue tit babies in a few of them and none in others. No idea why they favour different types.

We have had a robin box up in the shed for three years. The robin perches on it and sings away - but never attempted to nest!

Aquatic
16-02-2010, 10:54 PM
We've never bothered with bird boxes because there are loads of cats around by us and birds know not to come over and sit in the tree in my garden because they may never leave the tree.

dandysmom
16-02-2010, 11:14 PM
I had one for several years that went unused. It was on the stockade fence, and when that was torn down and a new one put up I forgot to rescue it; haven't gotten around to replacing it yet .... maybe will try again this year.